ADVERTISEMENT

Mid-field logo annouced

fuzz77

Senior
Sep 19, 2012
UK annouced that the midfield logo will be the same as the new logo on the Memorial Coliseum floor.

CDxKyffUIAA3XpL.jpg

The #BBN is amazing. We wanted to wait to show off our new UK logo, but nothing gets past you. UK is making $1.7B of improvements across campus, including #TheNewCWS, football training facility and @UKHoopCats court with the new logo. For now, UK teams & fans will wear the same UK mark they have since ’97, but our new playing surfaces will be all about the future.

Really truly kinda disappointed by this. I've been brought up in the modern era of UK sports (2000's) and I think this logo is the laziest attempt I've ever seen by a Division 1 program. We could do so much more with the logo and we decide to stick with this plain crap. Seriously, we're reinventing college basketball and bringing a football program to prominence. The least we could do is find some innovation with a damn logo. The old Wildcat logos are my favorites. Nobody else had that art- art is difficult to replicate. We share the same stylistic letterman-esque font concept as the University of Houston(UH), Oklahoma (OU), (u)NC, TTU, and many others. Letters suck for midfield. Give me a wildcat drawn by a 5th grader for the love of God. This really truly aggravates me.

*End rant*

@ukathletics Twitter account is thanking Nike for a tweak of the logo which many nine year-olds could have done on an ipad. Nike really went all out for the University here. I'd think this is a joke if it wasn't tweeted out by an official UK account. I wish I could say I'm surprised...

Reactions: BIGBLUEQ and Rawrrr
UK annouced that the midfield logo will be the same as the new logo on the Memorial Coliseum floor.

CDxKyffUIAA3XpL.jpg

The #BBN is amazing. We wanted to wait to show off our new UK logo, but nothing gets past you. UK is making $1.7B of improvements across campus, including #TheNewCWS, football training facility and @UKHoopCats court with the new logo. For now, UK teams & fans will wear the same UK mark they have since ’97, but our new playing surfaces will be all about the future.

I know many want a Wildcat jumping through flames wearing a pink jumpsuit as our logo, but I like the UK myself (and so do many others nationally).

It's a nice clean look that has a lot of class to it. Sometimes less is more. We're Kentucky, we don't a wildcat jumping through flames.

Reactions: Brock28
The problem is that our logo is almost identical to Houston and Buffalo. I just don't understand why UK is so averse to going whole hog on anything. If you want to "move forward" then go all the way and get something truly cutting edge; don't just change the outline color and marginally change the letter placement.

The reason they said they wouldn't do the Block K is because they don't want to go backwards. That's fine, but if you are eschewing a very popular logo because it is "old", don't role out a logo that's 95% identical to the same one we've had for 20 years and call it progress.

Reactions: Rawrrr
This is literally identical to Houston's new logo. They ripped off our old interlocking UK logo, now we are ripping off their newer interlocking, slightly more bold UH logo.
Houston_OLD8.gif
Houston_B.gif
Kentucky_D.gif

Just go back to the K already that is in my avatar. Towles is already tweeting about what he needs to do to bring back the Power K.

Why am I not surprised?

Outside of what John Calipari's marketing has done for our basketball program, the rest of Kentucky Athletics' "brand" has been stagnent for 20+ years.

When it comes to innovation and thinking outside the box, UK's administration has been followers, instead of leaders.

It's fine, it's the symbol everyone instantly recognizes us for and the nickname the country uses for us. We are called UK by the country and we have simple but classic symbol. The old logo with the wildcat looked middle school to me. Power K was good but now we've become known as UK I think it fits.

Jnewc, we aren't asking for what you're suggesting. Enough with the straw-man tactic.

I'd be all for a UK at midfield if we were to put the shape of Kentucky behind it or something. aTm has the right idea with their half-court logo and LSU's midfield is just nasty. Makes no sense for us to tweak the old boring UK logo that doesn't give us something to rally around. They're letters. Make UK a symbol, not just our nickname. Give it some substance. That's all we ask. We are the state team. I'm not saying we should make our logo an anatomically incorrect bird's head, but at least show an attempt.

Now, if we could put a nuclear explosion behind a Wildcat ripping the jugular out of a gator at midfield, I'd be all for it.

The purpose of the logo isn't to represent Kentucky. It's to make you think of Nike. I'm sure they did some studies and found a K that looks more like the Nike swoosh. It's all about standardization and brand consistency and whatever other soulless corporate buzzwords there are.

Never seen a bunch of grown men get so upset over a logo, lol. We have bigger issues to be concerned about.

Seems like many of you are missing the fact that this is a different interlocking UK logo. The U is cutting into or overlapping the K now. All your current UK gear is now out of date.

I see ghost now. They just put the U in front of the K instead of the K in front of the U.

Make no mistake, this is about money. That's why you will only see the power K as a throwback (throwback items sell) and why you won't see a different logo for football. There is most likely some market research that financially justifies the change. It, in all likelihood, will push some fans to replace stuff with the previous logo, as another poster suggested. Follow the $$$$

The power K is much better look for Kentucky in football but once again the powers at be are so out of touch with what their fan base wants that this is no surprise.

10+ year season ticket holder been attending UK FOOTBALL games for 30 years....I hate the Power K and never want it back....We are not UT...we don't need to copy the power T.

So maybe they are not out of touch with the "fanbase". The interlocking UK is the best look we have. It crisp, clean, classic and identifiable to UK.

Reactions: RV2
I don't care for the power K myself...I liked the old interlocking UK...this new one is not good IMO, that K does not look like any K I have seen before.

10+ year season ticket holder been attending UK FOOTBALL games for 30 years....I hate the Power K and never want it back....We are not UT...we don't need to copy the power T.

So maybe they are not out of touch with the "fanbase". The interlocking UK is the best look we have. It crisp, clean, classic and identifiable to UK.
They changed the interlocking UK...it is now UGLY.

The purpose of the logo isn't to represent Kentucky. It's to make you think of Nike. I'm sure they did some studies and found a K that looks more like the Nike swoosh. It's all about standardization and brand consistency and whatever other soulless corporate buzzwords there are.

This made me chuckle.

The power K is much better look for Kentucky in football but once again the powers at be are so out of touch with what their fan base wants that this is no surprise.

This is the bottom line. I think Barnhart has done a ton of good and is a solid AD, but he has repeatedly shown that he has no grasp on what UK fans feel for the programs.

This is the bottom line. I think Barnhart has done a ton of good and is a solid AD, but he has repeatedly shown that he has no grasp on what UK fans feel for the programs.

Agree. He has excelled in many areas and failed in some others. He has just never done a good job relating to the fans and never will.

I'm sure that he has received and receives daily plenty of input from fans on what they think. Guess what?... fans have many different and often opposing opinions. I would wager that Mitch has a better handle on the varied opinions of UK fans than anyone because all of those opinions reach his office. Regardless of the selection of any design there would be fans who are unhappy. Just like the uniform design discussions on this board. Some want traditional, some want trendy. Some liked the black uniforms others cried; "Black isn't one of our colors!!!". Music in the stadium...should it be what the kids want or what fans want?...and what do "fans" want because I'm sure there's a miriad of musical taste in the crowd. There is no making everyone happy.

I'm sure that he has received and receives daily plenty of input from fans on what they think. Guess what?... fans have many different and often opposing opinions. I would wager that Mitch has a better handle on the varied opinions of UK fans than anyone because all of those opinions reach his office. Regardless of the selection of any design there would be fans who are unhappy. Just like the uniform design discussions on this board. Some want traditional, some want trendy. Some liked the black uniforms others cried; "Black isn't one of our colors!!!". Music in the stadium...should it be what the kids want or what fans want?...and what do "fans" want because I'm sure there's a miriad of musical taste in the crowd. There is no making everyone happy.

Damn I really hate agreeing with a Fuzz post...but its spot on....

I have been a Mitch supporter in many aspects through the years, but I agree with the poster who said that he PR skills are one thing that hurts his rep with some in the fan base. The only issue I have with the decision to keep the interlocking UK (even if it did change slightly) is that it is so generic:

UB%20Football.jpg

mathews.jpg

111105FootballMW0215.jpg

This just makes me cringe every time.

It's so much better to look like Houston and Buffalo. Look at the response on social media it's pretty clear that most fans like the Power K. I see no reason why they can't have a throw back game with the Power K.

It's so much better to look like Houston and Buffalo. Look at the response on social media it's pretty clear that most fans like the Power K. I see no reason why they can't have a throw back game with the Power K.
Yes because the small % of fans on social media speak for the entire fan base. Sure do a throw back game and wear it once every couple of years.

This year UK was voted the best Uni's in college FB..was it the power K?? no it was the sweet ass chrome/black/blue Uni's we wore all of which had the interlocking UK. One of the reasons I hate going to the field turf is it limits options. Doing a old school Power K game with a checkered endzone and a 20yd to 20yd sized outline of the state on the field on Thursday night with all of college FB watching would be sweet.

With all the different uni's we wore last season MB is branding UK FB....

If you put the gear for UK, UB, and UH on a table and asked everyday people/fans which was which....90% will get UK right....less than 50% will get UH or UB.

I think we need to clarify that there are two debates going on in this thread...

Block K vs old interlocking UK

Old UK vs new UK (in OP Pic)

I am on team old interlocking UK.....I prefer the block K over this new logo that has a K with a shape I have never seen before though.

I think some people feel the outrage is that the interlocking UK will be on the playing surface, when the actual anger/disappointment is with the new interlocking UK logo itself.

I think the Power K is just a darn K. There's no "power" to it. It's plain boring and looks 1970 or 80s, hardly something that excites young people who don't know it's "tradition" (of mostly losing teams). Use it as a 1-time throwback tribute to the '76 or '77 team to throw these whiners a bone.

ADVERTISEMENT