ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State coaching search

Stoops is signed at UK through the end of this decade, and everyone, and especially Barnhart, knows he isn't going to MI St. This thread is so full of nonsense.
Lol. OK.
If you think a coach's agent won't try to leverage a premier job opening to get his (and the agent) more money, you truly don't understand the business of big time football.

Granted I am not close, but the name on our board getting tossed around is Hartline, the tOSU WR coach. Would be a tough loss for tOSU. He is elite of the elite recruiter who picks the WR he wants.
Hartline is the OC up there now, although it’s still Day’s offense.

Elko would be a hell of a hire for anyone, wouldn’t surprise me if he waited for A&M. Don’t think Stoops would have interest in MSU but anyone would listen if there was $100M guaranteed out there. That said, we’ve worried a lot about Stoops’ interest in schools but a real offer hasn’t ever come. Maybe we need to relax.

Hartline is the OC up there now, although it’s still Day’s offense.

Elko would be a hell of a hire for anyone, wouldn’t surprise me if he waited for A&M. Don’t think Stoops would have interest in MSU but anyone would listen if there was $100M guaranteed out there. That said, we’ve worried a lot about Stoops’ interest in schools but a real offer hasn’t ever come. Maybe we need to relax.

I am with you on 100m guaranteed, I mean crazy not to listen. But you could be on to something with Elko and A&M, the have spent a fortune on NIL and come up short in every big game. Bama is going to open up soon, not sure where they will turn, but I expect coach's salaries will get a bump because they will go for a big name. 15m won't shock me.

But to the topic of this thread, whoever takes it is going to little brother. Same as Louisville and in my case GT. GT's tough academics eliminate them from many of the top kids, that isn't an issue with Louisville. Calculus is a required class, wtf, no way I could pass it.

Since ole Mel violated the “show cause” portion in his contract he won’t be getting a buyout. So they won’t be limited by that . Mich St insiders are saying the new coachs salary will be in the top 3 of the country. It’s a pretty good situation because Tucker has recruited well (if they stay) and Mich St has the possibility of battling Penn St for the 3rd best football program in that conference behind Mich and Ohio State.
Just a reminder that this was a hit job on Tucker to avoid the buyout

Since ole Mel violated the “show cause” portion in his contract he won’t be getting a buyout. So they won’t be limited by that . Mich St insiders are saying the new coachs salary will be in the top 3 of the country. It’s a pretty good situation because Tucker has recruited well (if they stay) and Mich St has the possibility of battling Penn St for the 3rd best football program in that conference behind Mich and Ohio State.
I think when the facts come out (consensual relationship with a non-MSU lady who got mad and got even), MSU will be on the hook for a lot of money.

Reactions: yoshukai
Bob has said no to some of the best football schools out there, been out of coaching for what 8 years, why would he now say yes to Kentucky?
Because it never hurts to ask and the Stoops Family is part of Kentucky Football history now. Like I said. Call and make him say no. 9-10 million a year might sway him. And I don't know who else he's said no to. Who else has vigorously pursued him?

Lol. OK.
If you think a coach's agent won't try to leverage a premier job opening to get his (and the agent) more money, you truly don't understand the business of big time football.

And at what point does UK say this is too much money for a guy that will never win a conference title or ncaa title and may make a 12 team playoff once a decade if that?

Love Stoops but he has a great job with little pressure on him to win big.

The money would be big 5 years ago, and it's good today, but Stoops has not expressed any interest in any job publicly why would he be interested in jumping that no win situation. Stoops might listen to tOSU or Iowa because Ohio is home and Iowa is his alma mater. I think MSU will have a tough time hiring a proven head coach. That division has 3 built in losses for a program trying to rise up. Maybe Saban will be interested if Bama runs him off with 4 losses this year, kidding on that last line.
Yeah the schools that would have legitimate 1a/1b candidate interest in him at this point aren't going to be obviously 'up the chain' from where uk is at this point. And he gets to play his MAC auto win games and get paid like a king. He's already a bit overpaid so middling programs aren't in a spot to dramatically overpay him enough to entice him. The only reason he leaves as well paid as he is.... is to take one of 'those' jobs and until he shows he can build an offense in a day and age of offense he'll always be a fallback guy on those lists.

Last edited:
Lol. OK.
I think I understand the business a good deal better than you, and I never said or implied how agents behave. I never even suggested that an agent wouldn't do his best for a client. You are always trying to change football discussions into personal pissing contests. In this case, the client is Stoops. At the end of the day, the client is responsible. I am not going down a hypothetical tangent with you because I know you will be glad to hijack the thread to start a dumb fight.

And at what point does UK say this is too much money for a guy that will never win a conference title or ncaa title and may make a 12 team playoff once a decade if that?

That is a question for Mr. B.
It doesn't always have to be about more money.
We know how he handled the last threat of losing a coach.
Maybe another lifetime contract in the future??????

That is a question for Mr. B.
It doesn't always have to be about more money.
We know how he handled the last threat of losing a coach.
Maybe another lifetime contract in the future??????

I hope not. Hated it for calipari and would hate it for any coach. Calipari has nose dived since he got that. Fat and lazy and resting on past decades laurels.

I think I understand the business a good deal better than you, and I never said or implied how agents behave. I never even suggested that an agent wouldn't do his best for a client. You are always trying to change football discussions into personal pissing contests. In this case, the client is Stoops. At the end of the day, the client is responsible. I am not going down a hypothetical tangent with you because I know you will be glad to hijack the thread to start a dumb fight.
Man, I wish I knew everything that you think you know.

I stated facts concerning how THIS agent typically handles opportunities for all of the coaches he has under contract, and he has most of the A list coaches under contract, and he uses his power over AD's who are weak at negotiating contracts and fearful of having to hire another coach, to leverage a better contract.

You are the most confrontational poster on this sight, with anyone and everyone whose opinion you do not agree with.

And then you play that typical narcissistic victim card by blaming the OP for starting a pi$$ing contest with you, when you are the one pi$$ing on people and telling them it is raining.

Ignore button is your best friend. Please put me on ignore. I am tired of you jumping on me everytime I post FACTS on this board.

Have a nice day, sir.

Go talk to national CFB analyst media guys about Mark Stoops Kentucky results

Andy Staples
Bud Elliott
Dennis Dodd
Bruce Feldman
etc

To a man they will tell you Stoops has wringed out the absolute best possible results of Kentucky football, in this modern age, given our limitations and drawbacks. No other coach would possibly get better results.

What are our drawbacks?
-poor historical results
-poor home grown base of talent
-poor fan financial support
Now on top if all that we can add on
-poor NIL funding by fans

So yeah, the day you speculate arriving where somebody in UK leadership thinks another coach could do better with what we've got ain't gonna arrive anytime soon. New ESPN TV money kicks in next summer. And as always, UK's financial commitments of that huge money to football will be at the absolute bottom of the 16 SEC, fighting with Vandy & Miss St & Mizzou for last.

Na
Lol. OK.
Typically yes but not in this situation. I agree with Rembrandt completely, Mitch and Stoops both know theres no interest in him going there and they're relationship is bigger than Stoops wanting to play games with that. He is begin well taken care and he knows it and appreciates it right now.

Reactions: cathouse
If by some very remote chance Stoops would move on to MSU (very unlikely, imo), would we look for a replacement like Sumrall with HC experience or would we consider promoting White or Coen? Pure speculation, of course, but either option seems very reasonable to me.
Mitch will look at whoever Jimmy Sexton puts in front of him. Simple as. I do expect Jimmy to use this to fleece us one more time, so “interest” is certainly incoming.

Mitch will look at whoever Jimmy Sexton puts in front of him. Simple as. I do expect Jimmy to use this to fleece us one more time, so “interest” is certainly incoming.
Yeah....you just about can't have faith in $$$ decisions my Mitch anymore. Stoops last pay raise was silly, Cal contact is burning things down over there. Elzy.....like everyone else saw that coming but not ole Mitch. And to boot, Capiluto gives Mitch a big ole fat extension...so it's good ole boy network at it's best.

Na

Typically yes but not in this situation. I agree with Rembrandt completely, Mitch and Stoops both know theres no interest in him going there and they're relationship is bigger than Stoops wanting to play games with that. He is begin well taken care and he knows it and appreciates it right now.
You might be right, but we live in a very different world today.
College football is all about the money now.
Money trumps loyalty.
The current market sets the value of pay for coaches at these top programs.
Agents make their money off of coaches contracts.
Jimmy Sexton is the best (worst imo) at leveraging these coaching vacancies at the top programs to get the better coaches in his repertoire anything that he can milk out of AD's when the opportunity arises.
I believe that Stoops is very comfortable with his current contract and being coach at UK. I also believe that just like the rest of us, he would take another pay raise or some sort of extension to his contract if offered to ensure he doesn't go fishing in a bigger pond.

The reality is that Michigan State will have a very difficult time hiring a coach with more experience at rebuilding a program the right way than CMS.

Which top coach do you think would leave a top tier program to take that dumpster fire right now?? Stoops might not either, but Jimmy Sexton will try to convince Mitch Barnhart that he is a prime candidate.......and he probably is......as far as MSU is concerned.

Reactions: Soupbean
Reminds me of the Bobby Bowden talk when Joker was fired. Or maybe it was one of Bobby's sons. Maybe Tommy at Clemson? I dunno, but folks retire for a reason. Rich Brooks was an exception and not the rule.
LOL.

What established coach would have taken UK's job, where the football program had been run underground by a full decade of NO improvements or repairs to football's facilities? And What was Stoops record his first year here? The same miserable TWO OOC nobody wins that Joker got fired for. And that was after adding as many four stars in one class as we had in one class in the prior decade, three. Brooks, a great coach, had THREE four stars that he used to defeat the NC with.

Then Barker, a highly rated four star IN STATE QB, was a huge factor in recruiting ten four star players in his class, and Stoops had a fighting chance, helped by the flood of money from the SEC distribution. Funded by the flood of money from the OTHER SEC football programs that did support the money cow.

Yeah the schools that would have legitimate 1a/1b candidate interest in him at this point aren't going to be obviously 'up the chain' from where uk is at this point. And he gets to play his MAC auto win games and get paid like a king. He's already a bit overpaid so middling programs aren't in a spot to dramatically overpay him enough to entice him. The only reason he leaves as well paid as he is.... is to take one of 'those' jobs and until he shows he can build an offense in a day and age of offense he'll always be a fallback guy on those lists.

I like Stoops, I liked him before slot of Cat fans did. In the beginning he knew the limitations he had compared to other SEC schools, or even some of the small schools. He schemed to give UK the best chance to win given the talent and depth he inherited.

As for being overpaid, that could be said about every coach, but he is getting paid market value.

I like Stoops, I liked him before slot of Cat fans did. In the beginning he knew the limitations he had compared to other SEC schools, or even some of the small schools. He schemed to give UK the best chance to win given the talent and depth he inherited.

As for being overpaid, that could be said about every coach, but he is getting paid market value.

Probably right.....Jimbo sure is overpaid and I'd argue Kiffen is better than Stoops below him. It still blows that Stoops got a raise after a crap season last year...at least bump him after the year he does decent stuff is what most fans feel.

Saban 11.7M
Kirby 11.3M
Jimbo 9.5M
Kelly 9.5M
Heupel 9M
Kiffen 9M
Stoops 9M
Napier 7.4M
Beamer 6.5M
Drinowitz 6.5M
Freeze 6.5M
Pittman 6.2M
Vandy guy 3.4M
Mss st guy 3M

He’ll at least get a settlement. Their case against him is hella sketchy.

Reactions: yoshukai

Yeah I like stoops and think he’s a cultural fit at UK as much as anything. But I also am a little more balanced in assessing him. He’s a good coach but I don’t think he’s any better than Brooks. Brooks was 6-8 wins when Louisville was actually formidable and Florida in the East every year was dominant. And many kids were 2 stars that were coached up. And that’s without ANY financial or facility backing. Stoops has raised that to 7-9 wins but he also has had more resources at his fingertips than anything brooks or other coaches have had relative to the rest of the conference. We aren’t ever going to have top tier sec resources or in state football to draw from but we are at least in the competitive range at the moment. Our recruiting room when brooks was here was a pull down screen at the end of the indoor facility and the East in general was tougher than it is now. Urban Myers version of FL and UGA not what it is now but under richt still too talented for us and SC in spurrier’s heyday. Shoot, the Bobby Johnson/James Franklin versions of Vandy went to some bowls in that stretch with earl bennett, etc. we often forget stoops’ time here has coincided with the shift of power in the sec from east to west

Last edited:
If you were ranking them, the Michigan State job would be better. If you asked the coach at Arkansas Tech, he chooses that one.

But its not so much better you leave Kentucky for it. Starting over sucks. Move. Hire new coaches. Rerecruit. Gladhand new boosters. Sale those bourbon brands and find some other booze to hock. New drivers license. Blech.

Until a big boy comes calling, he's stuck with us.

MSU has negatively recruited Stoops and Marrow to the point that I think it would hurt them in trying to lure him away. One thing about those 2 guys is that they hold a grudge.

If you were ranking them, the Michigan State job would be better. If you asked the coach at Arkansas Tech, he chooses that one.

But its not so much better you leave Kentucky for it. Starting over sucks. Move. Hire new coaches. Rerecruit. Gladhand new boosters. Sale those bourbon brands and find some other booze to hock. New drivers license. Blech.

Until a big boy comes calling, he's stuck with us.
Correction, we are stuck with him.

Yeah, on the CMS topic. At this point, over a decade in, he's not going anywhere.

Several reasons for that. One, big bro Bob. He hung around Oklahoma for 20 years. I just think that is in the DNA of the Stoops tribe. An admirable trait, especially in this day and age of carousels and revolving doors.

Secondly, most jobs at this point with where he has gotten our program would be lateral. He's going to get a raise for himself, staff, and a bump in overall budget basically every year or so from here on out.

Third, as football continues down the modern path, I think we are going to see Defense, ball control, run guys fall out of favor more and more. With the exception of Prime who is a unique case.

Whether you're talking pro or college it's offensive guys, and more specifically offensive guys who are QB whisperers.

Saban and Kirby are pretty much the last stand for DCs at the elite play-off level in CFB. Kirby still has plenty of good years left and will probably do well in keeping up with the times and staffing the offense appropriately.

Saban is on the home stretch of his career once he retires, if it's not Prime, Bama will go offense.

You might be right, but we live in a very different world today.
College football is all about the money now.
Money trumps loyalty.
The current market sets the value of pay for coaches at these top programs.
Agents make their money off of coaches contracts.
Jimmy Sexton is the best (worst imo) at leveraging these coaching vacancies at the top programs to get the better coaches in his repertoire anything that he can milk out of AD's when the opportunity arises.
I believe that Stoops is very comfortable with his current contract and being coach at UK. I also believe that just like the rest of us, he would take another pay raise or some sort of extension to his contract if offered to ensure he doesn't go fishing in a bigger pond.

The reality is that Michigan State will have a very difficult time hiring a coach with more experience at rebuilding a program the right way than CMS.

Which top coach do you think would leave a top tier program to take that dumpster fire right now?? Stoops might not either, but Jimmy Sexton will try to convince Mitch Barnhart that he is a prime candidate.......and he probably is......as far as MSU is concerned.
No I get it and thats all true. I just think it doesn't fit this situation. Marks agent might want to push (as you say thats what they do) but doubt Mark has any interest in that position or in even playing the leverage game right now. The MSU gig is just not at the top of the list right now and I'd say a couple notches below ours.

Reactions: cathouse
It is VERY rare for a coach to be at a P5 program for 10+ years and bolt for another P5 program. Brian Kelly and Mack Brown are the only 2 I can think of currently.

I had a list made up about a year ago. I would have to sit and think about. Some guys have retired and others have changed jobs. I am just not a Stoops fan. I am one fan that thinks we can do better.
Oh well sucks to be you, he's been here 11 yrs & if he wants to will be here the next 11

Reactions: Father Torque
Oh well sucks to be you, he's been here 11 yrs & if he wants to will be here the next 11
That’s fine if he is. If we could win some big games it would be nice. But it doesn’t suck to be me. I don’t worry about it at all. But you suck for making a rude comment because you don’t like it that I am not a Stoops fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT