ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State coaching search

Yeah, comparable programs at this point, mid level in a packed Superconference. No one would put Kentucky's program above: Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Texas a&m, Auburn. No one puts Mich St above: Michigan, Ohio, Penn St, USC, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Iowa.

They pay a lot. The new owner of the Phoenix Suns is their sugar daddy. Who knows, if they come to him with 10 yrs/$100M guaranteed he'd be dumb to not listen. Who's a more attractive candidate than Stoops who would be interested in them? Most top established guys are pretty secure.

Since ole Mel violated the “show cause” portion in his contract he won’t be getting a buyout. So they won’t be limited by that . Mich St insiders are saying the new coachs salary will be in the top 3 of the country. It’s a pretty good situation because Tucker has recruited well (if they stay) and Mich St has the possibility of battling Penn St for the 3rd best football program in that conference behind Mich and Ohio State.

Reactions: Girthang
If by some very remote chance Stoops would move on to MSU (very unlikely, imo), would we look for a replacement like Sumrall with HC experience or would we consider promoting White or Coen? Pure speculation, of course, but either option seems very reasonable to me.

May sound dumb, but If Stoops were to leave after this year, Mitch's First call should be to Brother Bob. Make him say no. He's not that old, could still coach another 7-8 years. Make the call, make him say no, then move on. Hell, they supposedly tried that with Bill Parcells at one point, so why not.

Reactions: bigbluedon
May sound dumb, but If Stoops were to leave after this year, Mitch's First call should be to Brother Bob. Make him say no. He's not that old, could still coach another 7-8 years. Make the call, make him say no, then move on. Hell, they supposedly tried that with Bill Parcells at one point, so why not.
Agree but thanks to Mitch we are stuck with Stoops and his 9 million dollar salary. Unreal.

Bob has said no to some of the best football schools out there, been out of coaching for what 8 years, why would he now say yes to Kentucky?

MSU is not a great job. Not saying stoops will be here until he retires, but if he leaves, he can do better than MSU.

Bob has said no to some of the best football schools out there, been out of coaching for what 8 years, why would he now say yes to Kentucky?
Reminds me of the Bobby Bowden talk when Joker was fired. Or maybe it was one of Bobby's sons. Maybe Tommy at Clemson? I dunno, but folks retire for a reason. Rich Brooks was an exception and not the rule.

Yeah, comparable programs at this point, mid level in a packed Superconference. No one would put Kentucky's program above: Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Texas a&m, Auburn. No one puts Mich St above: Michigan, Ohio, Penn St, USC, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Iowa.

They pay a lot. The new owner of the Phoenix Suns is their sugar daddy. Who knows, if they come to him with 10 yrs/$100M guaranteed he'd be dumb to not listen. Who's a more attractive candidate than Stoops who would be interested in them? Most top established guys are pretty secure.

The money would be big 5 years ago, and it's good today, but Stoops has not expressed any interest in any job publicly why would he be interested in jumping that no win situation. Stoops might listen to tOSU or Iowa because Ohio is home and Iowa is his alma mater. I think MSU will have a tough time hiring a proven head coach. That division has 3 built in losses for a program trying to rise up. Maybe Saban will be interested if Bama runs him off with 4 losses this year, kidding on that last line.

Reactions: Jont0805
Since ole Mel violated the “show cause” portion in his contract he won’t be getting a buyout. So they won’t be limited by that . Mich St insiders are saying the new coachs salary will be in the top 3 of the country. It’s a pretty good situation because Tucker has recruited well (if they stay) and Mich St has the possibility of battling Penn St for the 3rd best football program in that conference behind Mich and Ohio State.
I believe that will move down a couple of notches once the expansion starts don’t you?

Reactions: yoshukai
Was listening to James Streble on ESPN 680 last week, he is a UK fan and had another UK guy on with him, can't remember his name. But they both agreed that if this job comes open, it's one Stoops would be interested in. He said, now I'm not saying he's going to leave, but he would listen to what they say. But from what I can remember they didn't really give any compelling reasons why.

PJ Fleck is like a buffet of assorted oatmeals. I doubt he's really very coveted by anybody in the Big Ten.

You could make a pretty lengthy pros column of how Stoops would be a good fit at Michigan State and Michigan State would be a good fit for Stoops. His now decade long recruiting turf crosses paths with traditional areas where Michigan State hunts being one of them. Lansing is an Eastern Bloc city compared to Lexington, but summers on Torch Lake are hard to beat if that is your thing. But what major college coach has time for that?

• Haha
Reactions: JDHoss
PJ Fleck is like a buffet of assorted oatmeals. I doubt he's really very coveted by anybody in the Big Ten.

You could make a pretty lengthy pros column of how Stoops would be a good fit at Michigan State and Michigan State would be a good fit for Stoops. His now decade long recruiting turf crosses paths with traditional areas where Michigan State hunts being one of them. Lansing is an Eastern Bloc city compared to Lexington, but summers on Torch Lake are hard to beat if that is your thing. But what major college coach has time for that?
5 years ago Fleck, Justin Fuente, Scott Frost, Matt Campbell were scalding hot coaching prospects. Fuente and Frost have already flamed out, Campbell's on the runway and Fleck is warming up on the tarmac. I can't imagine Mich St having any interest in Fleck.

Article I read yesterday had the Duke coach, Elko, at the top of their wish list. Also mentioned Klieman of Kansas St, a guy I really like, and the Kansas coach.

Reactions: Mulder14
Agree.

MSU made a strong push for marrow before. Granted that was with Tucker but Vince's name is the one we might hear floated for some position there.
I think the whole reason for the MSU flirtation by Marrow was because him and Tucker were real close. I’m sure he wouldn’t be happy with MSU for “his friends demise” so to speak. But money talks.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I agree....I think UK job equal to MSU job nowadays.
From the looks of things , the way conference realignment is shaping up. If you’re lucky enough to land a SEC job then you have a top 20 job in the nation. In the future the SEC schools will out spend and out pay most other schools.

I know Minnesota coach’s name is being thrown around. I wonder if they will show interest in Stoops.
Jimmy Sexton will at least make a call to MSU to gage their interest in CMS and try to get him on the rumor list of possible candidates for the job.

The second call from CMS 's agent will be to Mitch........

Jimmy Sexton will at least make a call to MSU to gage their interest in CMS and try to get him on the rumor list of possible candidates for the job.

The second call from CMS 's agent will be to Mitch........
Stoops is signed at UK through the end of this decade, and everyone, and especially Barnhart, knows he isn't going to MI St. This thread is so full of nonsense.

Stoops is signed at UK through the end of this decade, and everyone, and especially Barnhart, knows he isn't going to MI St. This thread is so full of nonsense.

I’ll bet he gets some sort of modifier to the contract. Even if it’s just an ego boost, it’s how the game is played.

MSU is little brother to Michigan. MSU facilities are not great. Now add in the Tucker scandal/firing. That place is a complete train wreck. Mark is never leaving for that job. To even suggest that is ridiculous. He has one of the best gigs in college football. Why start over with all of that mess?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT