ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Coliseum

What are they going to do to it? Especially for 82M?

I like the old, original Memorial. A lot of good memories.

What are they going to do to it? Especially for 82M?

I like the old, original Memorial. A lot of good memories.
Although I was in Memorial Coliseum in 1952 when the Cuba Cubs won the KHSAA State Basketball Tournament there, I was only 5 years old, and I don't actually remember it. But I vividly remember being in Memorial Coliseum during the 1956 State Tournament, and more particularly do I vividly remember King Kelly Coleman going for 68 points in the Consolation Game on Saturday afternoon against Bell County. Final Score: Wayland 122, Bell County 89. Good memories, indeed ! ! !

Nay-sayers of the day called it a "white elephant." Said UK would never fill it, LOL. What was it, 11,500 seating capacity originally? Last time I was there was in the '80s I guess, saw a USA HS team that featured Shawn Kemp, Damon Bailey, Richie Farmer et al beat a team of Russians.

Reactions: delk4three
So very very much had to be done.

When we signed the SEC network contract it was mandated we have a modern facility.

The electric needed a 100% overhaul. From top to bottom, high voltage access for stages and trucks, to every lamp in the entire place.

Air conditioning needed to be installed. The facility did not have it, so every single bit of duct had to be a brand new run.

All the plumbing redone.

Build a brand new tv studio/control room, space for mobile truck’s and transmitters.

New courts.

Having to do all this within preexisting concrete walls

All this while keeping it open for multiple seasons. I worked at the student center 2012-2015, and we worked a lot of events at memorial. Renovations started in about 2013.

Not to mention COVID happened in between.

It would have been far easier to demolish it and build a new facility, but people would have freaked out. Working backwards in an old building is a nightmare.

So yeah, 82 million isn’t crazy.

This renovations were necessary on so many levels. I love old Memorial and have many memories from my time as a student there. However, this was long overdue.

I don’t think many of our fans realize just how amazing the athletics facilities are at UK. I’ve traveled all over the country and been to many of the P5 schools and have seen their facilities. UK is in amazing shape comparatively speaking. This is one more step to assure we stay at the front when it comes to facilities. The only thing really left to do is a possible tennis complex now.

Barnhart is not the favorite of quite a few in here, but he has made UK a very attractive school to all recruits from a facilities standpoint.

I spent an evening with a long time friend and Baylor booster (did his first 2 years as student at UK with me before transferring to Waco) the other evening. I drove him around and showed off the athletics facilities and campus. He was stunned. He also has been all over the country and was floored by how nice things are at UK.

I’m excited to see the newly renovated Memorial and how it helps our programs!

I was in the last game held at memorial. UK v UNLV NIT game the infamous perry stevenson dunk. That was actually a really fun atmosphere

Reactions: JrandoUK
Its already done.
Maybe I'm behind things here. I know that the interior has been redone a number of years ago....but the 82M is already done? The video talks about it starting next month and being done by Fall of '24. Guess I'm missing something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT