ADVERTISEMENT

Issel. This day in 1969.

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
On this very day (January 18th, 1969), behind Dan Issel’s game high 21 points, Kentucky defeated the Tennessee Vols (69 to 66) in Knoxville, Tennessee. The Wildcats came home on the same day to Memorial Coliseum to celebrate, and blow out 1,000 candles on a large cake.
Kentucky became the first program in NCAA history to win 1,000 games. - Wildcat Country.

420418821_781908703979627_7148495923803906496_n.jpg

I heard we were also the first team to win 1,001 games. And 1,002. And 1,003...

I've saw the cats play live 7 times. I am undefeated. 4 at rupp one in Cincinnati. One in Athens Ohio. My favorite UK in person game is when the Cats beat floppy top in Knoxville. I attended the game after Pitino suspended Prickett Riddick and Ford for free throw shenanigans.
Cats won a close one with Freshmen Epps hitting some late clutch free throws.
The streets of Knoxville rained with GO BIG BLUE CHANTS. It was awesome. Nothing sucks like a big orange.
This post has nothing to do with the Horse Issel. But it was also about kicking UTs ass in Knoxville like Issel did in 69.

Reactions: howercat
How'd they get 1,000 candles lit before melting the damn cake?!
Heat expands the air above it and so it rises.

About 2 weeks ago, we were talking about why firefighters don't burn up beneath those high reflecting, insulated blanket thingies.

I've saw the cats play live 7 times. I am undefeated. 4 at rupp one in Cincinnati. One in Athens Ohio. My favorite UK in person game is when the Cats beat floppy top in Knoxville. I attended the game after Pitino suspended Prickett Riddick and Ford for free throw shenanigans.
Cats won a close one with Freshmen Epps hitting some late clutch free throws.
The streets of Knoxville rained with GO BIG BLUE CHANTS. It was awesome. Nothing sucks like a big orange.
This post has nothing to do with the Horse Issel. But it was also about kicking UTs ass in Knoxville like Issel did in 69.
What free throw shenanigans? I must have missed that one

On this very day (January 18th, 1969), behind Dan Issel’s game high 21 points, Kentucky defeated the Tennessee Vols (69 to 66) in Knoxville, Tennessee. The Wildcats came home on the same day to Memorial Coliseum to celebrate, and blow out 1,000 candles on a large cake.
Kentucky became the first program in NCAA history to win 1,000 games. - Wildcat Country.

420418821_781908703979627_7148495923803906496_n.jpg
This is inaccurate. UK celebrated achieving 1000 victories on January 11, 1969 before a game against Florida.

UK vs. Florida

This was based on UK’s accounting at the time, which included some games in 1966 in Israel as part of an International University Tournament which the NCAA didn’t recognize.

Since that time UK has dropped their claim to those games, but the official record has been adjusted since that time to account for other games from early in the century which had been lost to time.

So essentially what is recognized as UK’s 1000th victory today is not the same game as what was recognized at the time (by UK or the NCAA).

For anyone interested I go into the gory details at the link below.

UK’s race to 1000 victories

Reactions: clevenger32
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT