ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones: The basketball program is in complete disarray

Good news is soon he will have a new coach to brown nose and get good in with.
This is so dumb. It’s better for the entire fan base if KSR “brown noses” the coaches. I love Stoops/Marrow’s relationship with KSR. They always come on the show and them being friends gives you great interviews. Plus you get scoop that’s not locked up behind a pay wall. I get so tired of clowns mocking MJ for anything he does or doesn’t do.

KSR is Kentucky Sports biggest media outlet, like it or not, so yes them having a good relationship with the cosch is better for the audience.

As sad as it is to admit, this is how it is currently for UK Basketball. Mitch Barnhart created every bit of this with that HORRIBLE contract. Thus, Cal OWNS Mitch, and in turn can do whatever he pleases with ZERO repercussions.

My hope has always been that with all of the criticism Cal has received over the past 3 seasons with it really heating up the last 3 months, his ENORMOUS EGO would drive him to work extra hard to prove the fans and media wrong. However, he has done just the opposite and said “To heck with everyone, I’m just going to draw a FAT CHECK and do the bare minimum”.

Thanks Mitch

Sad
That's the truth!

Mitch and Eli gave Cal this contract and will be shooting themselves in the foot if they have to buy it out. They will be fired as well, so they have zero incentive to fight Cal at this point. Cal gets paid whether he wins or loses.

Some of our fans just seem to live in an alternative reality where people negotiate themselves out of millions of dollars without an incentive to do so.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
Sour grapes by Jones. Not one thing he said hasn't been discussed on this board a million times. Plus, a lot of opinion, no fact.
He's been trying to wedge himself back into good graces with the basketball program for some time and can't do it. He can't stand it.
Literally, @bookerfan66, when in the utter f*ck did I say that?!

I swear man, I think you have issues with comprehension sometimes.

Like seriously- please quote me in my post where I said it was Matt Jones' fault that the program is in shambles right now?

It's CAL'S fault that the program is in Shambles, but Jones has had it out for MBB for 5-6 years now.

So again- where in the utter f*ck did I say that?? Please explain.
I don’t understand this logic. Everything he said is obviously true lol. What do you want him to do? Lie and say everything is great? For as much as y’all claim he hates Cal he’s Never even called for him to fired. Cal didn’t turn on him till we went 9-16 and KSR said it was unacceptable. If he hadn’t done that you would’ve called him a fraud. He’s a radio host be mad at the coach

This is so dumb. It’s better for the entire fan base if KSR “brown noses” the coaches. I love Stoops/Marrow’s relationship with KSR. They always come on the show and them being friends gives you great interviews. Plus you get scoop that’s not locked up behind a pay wall. I get so tired of clowns mocking MJ for anything he does or doesn’t do.

KSR is Kentucky Sports biggest media outlet, like it or not, so yes them having a good relationship with the cosch is better for the audience.

My point was he will have a fresh start and can kiss ass to maintain the good relationship. He burnt bridges with calipari.

Wow, it's amazing they were able to hide all the dysfunction with how amazing the product on the floor has been for the past few years and how well Cal has handled himself in public and media.

• Haha
Reactions: know1
I listen to KSR and for the most part don't disagree with a lot of the people that are upset about the way the program is. But if you don't think Matt Jones stands to gain more than lose anytime he does one of these rants then you're just blind to how his business works. He plays it politically right where he's pointing out issues that he's hearing, but almost always ends the segment with him saying he believes the issues can be worked out. In the end if Cal was to ever come back on the show he would stand to gain. Or if the school decides to move on from Cal earlier he will still be in position to gain off of it. He's been talking about these issues for the past few months, but what he wants to happen most is UK Basketball winning and the head coach coming on the show.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
That's the truth!

Mitch and Eli gave Cal this contract and will be shooting themselves in the foot if they have to buy it out. They will be fired as well, so they have zero incentive to fight Cal at this point. Cal gets paid whether he wins or loses.

Some of our fans just seem to live in an alternative reality where people negotiate themselves out of millions of dollars without an incentive to do so.
Mitch AND Eli AND THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS . MB is not in this alone!

This. And by the looks of it, they’ve already decided. They are giving Cal a giant middle finger right now
And he's giving it right back...it's business and $$$$$$$. Nothing more...nothing less. Show CCC the money and he'll gladly leave.

Matt Jones is absolutely burning to the ground any chance he'd have with any new coach.

You think a guy like Musselman (for example) is going to come in here and put up with Matt's bullshit? After watching and hearing about Matt's behavior towards the program and Cal?

Matt has turned into a caricature of himself, no new coach is going to tolerate him. He's forever put himself on the outside looking in, but Matt and his clown posse are the only ones who can't see
Matt Jones is absolutely burning to the ground any chance he'd have with any new coach.

You think a guy like Musselman (for example) is going to come in here and put up with Matt's bullshit? After watching and hearing about Matt's behavior towards the program and Cal?

Matt has turned into a caricature of himself, no new coach is going to tolerate him. He's forever put himself on the outside looking in, but Matt and his clown posse are the only ones who can't see that.

that.

Matt has turned into a caricature of himself, no new coach is going to tolerate him. He's forever put himself on the outside looking in, but Matt and his clown posse are the only ones who can't see that.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually respect the fact that as a UK fan he's not being a homer and saying all the right things just to appease the higher-ups at UK. Instead, he's going against the grain and calling out the shitty situation that our coach has put our program in. He knows what is at stake but is still willing to put his reputation and connections at UK on the line. There are so many other media personalities who bend over backwards for their University and pledge their allegiance regardless of what is right and what is wrong to say. The Louisville media is the worst at that. So whether you like Matt Jones or not should be irrelevant. He stated facts about the current state of our program. Anyway....

Anybody know who the two or three big boosters are that Cal is not close with anymore.
The Crafts have to be one and after listening to Kelly on the campaign trail you could make the assumption that they gave a big thumbs down to the kneeling in Gainesville.
I could definitely see that issue as a catalyst for a fractured relationship.

Not of fans of Jones but he shouldn't act solely as a cheerleader for the program. If there's bad news to report then Matt shouldn't be afraid to lay it all out there.

As far as Cal's contract goes, he's become filthy rich while producing subpar results for the better part of the past 8 seasons. If he truly cared about the university and the program, he would accept a buyout for substantially less money than what his current contract stipulates.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually respect the fact that as a UK fan he's not being a homer and saying all the right things just to appease the higher-ups at UK. Instead, he's going against the grain and calling out the shitty situation that our coach has put our program in. He knows what is at stake but is still willing to put his reputation and connections at UK on the line. There are so many other media personalities who bend over backwards for their University and pledge their allegiance regardless of what is right and what is wrong to say. The Louisville media is the worst at that. So whether you like Matt Jones or not should be irrelevant. He stated facts about the current state of our program. Anyway....
Well....

Jones and his KSR boys have been "nobody but Cal for UK" for the past years regardless of glaring failures. Only since last part of season did their silly takes on coach Cal change of tune. They drowned any fans with criticisms to get Cal out of here and kissed Cal's rear end. Admitting Cal's favoring certain players, antiquated offense, can't run an inbound play, can't play but 1 defense, etc....but still were all in on Cal.

So Jones changing his tune now is hollow to me. He's not cutting against the grain...he's just going as momentum is leading is all he's doing. And if Cal were kissing his butt, he'd be condescending any fan negativity IMO

If there has to be a $42m payout to Cal to get rid of him, I can't see Barnhart keeping his job

it will be a soft departure, he'll go off and be the AD at some P5 school, but it won't be his idea.

And he's giving it right back...it's business and $$$$$$$. Nothing more...nothing less. Show CCC the money and he'll gladly leave.

Giving it right back? No, he’s the one that gave it first. To the fans, the media, AND the boosters.

Since they’re going to have to pay him either way, might as well play the petty, vindictive asshat game even better than he can. Let him grasp at straws to fill the roster. Let Kansas gain another 10-12 wins on us this year. Let him know that as long as he stays here, his reputation and legacy will just keep taking hits.

Reactions: Jumpercat
Says people around the program aren't able to communicate with Cal and that it's "not a fun place to be"

Thanks for the contract Mitch.
I care about Matt but he is going overboard on his comments.Kentucky fans are not to enjoy his enjoy his egotistical comments at times.

You think that Cal is intentionally destroying the basketball program because he has different political views than the majority of the state?
Those political views caused him to get tons of hate and backlash from the worst of our fans. Couple that with all the stuff they were also apparently saying to brad and his two daughters online. Why wouldn’t it be plausible for him to mail it in, collect his checks, and not really care about results (because hell, it’s pretty apparent he doesn’t like anyone involved with the entire program per Matt Jones)?

And one phone call from Cal to KSR would resolve this issue in 5 minutes.

Can’t believe someone ( Beisner or Ellen) hasn’t dialed KSR for Cal and handed him the phone. Get on here and let it go.

All Cal has to say is he’s calling in to have some fun with Matt Jones and it’s all in the past. Relationship healed.

Critical.

My big question with NIL is why doesn't he at least tap into his former players?

They all have their own businesses on the side, brands, clothing lines, etc.

Why not have Devin Booker sign Reeves to an NIL deal to boost Booker's brand in Kentucky?

Same with KAT, Randle, AD, Shai, Bam, Herro, Murray, etc. etc etc?
Nice point, but of all the millionaires that have been created, the ROI of these players is not rolling back into the program.
If this keeps going on for the next 3-4 years, none of these kids will know who played for UK.

And one phone call from Cal to KSR would resolve this issue in 5 minutes.

Can’t believe someone ( Beisner or Ellen) hasn’t dialed KSR for Cal and handed him the phone. Get on here and let it go.

All Cal has to say is he’s calling in to have some fun with Matt Jones and it’s all in the past. Relationship healed.

That has never been who Cal is. Dude holds grudges forever.

Literally, @bookerfan66, when in the utter f*ck did I say that?!

I swear man, I think you have issues with comprehension sometimes.

Like seriously- please quote me in my post where I said it was Matt Jones' fault that the program is in shambles right now?

It's CAL'S fault that the program is in Shambles, but Jones has had it out for MBB for 5-6 years now.

So again- where in the utter f*ck did I say that?? Please explain.

I'm just gonna keep it 100 with you, because I think you're a good poster. Matt Jones never had any beef with Cal until the 9-16 season. MJ called Cal out after that season, and said things need to change. That's when Cal stopped coming on the radio show. Fast forward to now, there has been absolutely nothing to be positive about. Lost in the 1st weekend of the tournament on back to back seasons, lost to a 15 seed, finished 3rd in the SEC both seasons, and have exactly 1 win in the SEC tournament total.

Reactions: entropy13
Never said it was a lie. Only that Jones has an axe to grind.
Except that he was critical of Cal when he didn't have an axe to grind and Cal gave all the access he wanted. I think it's fair to say Matt Jones has been fair and honest with his takes on Cal.

The question has to be asked, and what point do the sub-par results, obvious internal dysfunction, and blatant roster unawareness/mismanagement create enough of an opening to fire our lazy slob of a head coach, JVC?

Cal is intentionally destroying the program. And he's having fun imagining a roster of mostly freshman averaging doing figures. He wants his Fab Five before he gives us his Fab middle fingers on the way out.
He wants his cash and doesn’t want to work for it. And, thanks to Mitch, he doesn’t have to

Reactions: NociHTTP
You have a spare $42 million laying around to pay him off? Planning to have a spare $36 million next spring? What about 30 million in 2025? 24 million in 2026 perhaps? Or maybe 18 million in 2027? Cause those are his buyout amounts each year, and UK isn't going to/can't afford to pay that until it reaches the $12 million mark in 2028. So, unless you know a way to raise the buyout, Cal isn't leaving until he decides. And I sure as hell haven't seen any indication he has decided that.
Back to the same MO of "na na naah na, you can't make Cal leave." childish Cal defense nonsense.
How many screennames do you have, psycho?

• Haha
Reactions: CatDiver
I'm just gonna keep it 100 with you, because I think you're a good poster. Matt Jones never had any beef with Cal until the 9-16 season. MJ called Cal out after that season, and said things need to change. That's when Cal stopped coming on the radio show. Fast forward to now, there has been absolutely nothing to be positive about. Lost in the 1st weekend of the tournament on back to back seasons, lost to a 15 seed, finished 3rd in the SEC both seasons, and have exactly 1 win in the SEC tournament total.

I agree with everything you said (about nothing to be positive about)- HOWEVER, I think it started before COVID (IMO).

But it's more the silly stuff that KSR does that drives me nuts (like that nonsense about the manager yesterday), there is plenty to be negative about, and also plenty to be realistic about.

But it seems to me like KSR's main goal the last few (several) years has been to divide the fanbase and say the most outlandish stuff to get clicks and attention, rather than what they did earlier on, which was more actual news and analysis, rather than gossip and innuendo.

It's just my 2 cents, I have zero issue with negativity, because it's absolutely warranted these last 3 years, it's more the way they go about it and the constant gossip and "rumor mill" that they constantly spin, without actually verifying anything.

Nice point, but of all the millionaires that have been created, the ROI of these players is not rolling back into the program.
If this keeps going on for the next 3-4 years, none of these kids will know who played for UK.

It's weird because Cal "allegedly" had $30 million committed from former players for facilities upgrades, and that "allegedly" got turned down.

So why not take that $30 million and start his own NIL collective instead, and be the most well-funded NIL in college basketball.

program is in complete disarray and people are questioning our ranking. If Matt Jones reports are true we shouldn’t be ranked at all.

I agree with everything you said (about nothing to be positive about)- HOWEVER, I think it started before COVID (IMO).

But it's more the silly stuff that KSR does that drives me nuts (like that nonsense about the manager yesterday), there is plenty to be negative about, and also plenty to be realistic about.

But it seems to me like KSR's main goal the last few (several) years has been to divide the fanbase and say the most outlandish stuff to get clicks and attention, rather than what they did earlier on, which was more actual news and analysis, rather than gossip and innuendo.

It's just my 2 cents, I have zero issue with negativity, because it's absolutely warranted these last 3 years, it's more the way they go about it and the constant gossip and "rumor mill" that they constantly spin, without actually verifying anything.
Yes. They are serving up click bait. It’s slow in the off season.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT