ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops had better pull a rabbit out of his hat, and do it FAST.

No one likes this season but it has far more to do with assistants than Stoops. He has to make significant changes this off-season. We've never had as much success as we've had under Stoops. He is far from perfect but you may want to appreciate him.

I can both appreciate him and yet strongly disagree with this raise and contract extension. He doesn’t deserve it. Not yet.

There’s a reason Stoops was too embarrassed for the news to be released until after the UGA game.

Like it or not, coaches salaries are going up with the new TV contracts. Kirby is at 10m+, UT will put Chumlee in that bracket, maybe higher when Sexton drops a hint of another college or pro team wants him, Carolina will be offering Beamer a huge raise and extension, if he bests CU this week look for a 9+ m a year.
Stoops did the entire college coaching profession a huge favor. He can win 6 games, not finish in the top 25 and still get a $2mil raise. Anyone else should be able to get one as well!

Stoops did the entire college coaching profession a huge favor. He can win 6 games, not finish in the top 25 and still get a $2mil raise. Anyone else should be able to get one as well!
I think this raise is more about the extra burden and stress NIL is causing at mid level schools like UK. Free agency on a team without deep pockets, but yet significant fan expectations, is quite a burden.

No one likes this season but it has far more to do with assistants than Stoops. He has to make significant changes this off-season. We've never had as much success as we've had under Stoops. He is far from perfect but you may want to appreciate him.
Stoops needs to stay away from NFL coaches. There are plenty of good coordinators in college he could approach, both offense and defense. I would like a new aggressive defensive coordinator or Stoops to turn Brad White loose and do some different things on defense.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
I think this raise is more about the extra burden and stress NIL is causing at mid level schools like UK. Free agency on a team without deep pockets, but yet significant fan expectations, is quite a burden.

Significant fan expectations? Most are happy with a bowl game and the occasional 9 and 3 season. There is little chance of winning the SEC or making the 12 team playoff. That would probably require 10 and 2.

Stoops needs to stay away from NFL coaches. There are plenty of good coordinators in college he could approach, both offense and defense. I would like a new aggressive defensive coordinator or Stoops to turn Brad White loose and do some different things on defense.

We have one of the best defenses in college football. What does "turning it loose" look like to you?

Significant fan expectations? Most are happy with a bowl game and the occasional 9 and 3 season. There is little chance of winning the SEC or making the 12 team playoff. That would probably require 10 and 2.
Yes, it may not be what you want but staying in the middle or slightly above is tough in the SEC and will get harder with NIL but thats at least where we expect to be with the occasional special season thrown in there.

I'd love to compete for the SEC title on a regular basis but that isn't very likely no matter who the coach is.

Reactions: The-Hack
Mark, you‘ve been great but I will tell you right to your face you don’t deserve this extension. You clearly and personally were not ready for this season, and with all due respect, it makes me sick to see them reward you for this malpractice of a season. 8 million flipping dollars. Almost as big of a damn disgrace as John Calipari‘s absurd contract to fail.

You personally humiliated us this season. The special teams are unforgivably bad, putrid. It’s your fault. You took our most talented group of players we’ve perhaps ever had and molded them into an historically bad offense. You lost to Vanderbilt on our home field, after they’d been beaten 26 motherloving straight times by other SEC teams. It made the national news Mark. You should probably relive that game projected on to your refrigerator at home, over and over again. Why in the hell would you be deserving of 8 million dollars a year for that result? I would really love to hear you attempt to justify this, using your own words. Maybe Mark, you can put on some stupid sunglasses when you attempt to explain it.

Also, Mark- it just so happens that your incoming recruiting class is one of the worst currently in our entire damn conference. Do you have any plans to actually win a single bleeping SEC West road game or was this not a part of your silly 8 million dollar contract?

You: undeserving of this.

You need to pull a rabbit out of your hat or whatever orifice suits you, and do it with a quickness. It’s what they are paying you a disgraceful amount of money to do.
This is ALL TRUE. Never forget who made this decision to pay Stoops and Calipari these obnoxious amounts of money. If they both were OVERACHIEVING, Barnhart "might" have a reasonable defense. A reasonable defense in this case does not exist. Are we all SCHMUCKS to accept this crap and then do as we're told to put on BBN Blue, fill the Commonwealth and Rupp, Travel ... and keep shelling out our money and support it? Barnhart NEEDS to be our focus. You can't blame Stoops and the Carpetbagger for accepting the money ... we need to look at the man that foolishly decided to give it to them. This would also include Capitulo who had to sign off on it.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Maybe the college coaches know him and don't want to coach with/for him. Maybe the pro coaches haven't learned that yet. IDK, but just a thought b/c it is interesting that his last two OC have come from the league. Maybe Stoops reputation in the college ranks is meddling and not allowing his coordinators full reign to run what they want and maybe they don't want to work in that system/for Stoops. If that's anything close to case, I would think any decent college coordinator would shy away leaving Stoops best option with inferior/unproven college coaches or struggling NFL personnel ... Liam Coen being an exception. All speculation apart from rumors that don't seem to die.

I have no problem with him making a top ten salary if he is producing top 10 results year in, year out.
He simply isn't, and this is just absurd. Is Barnhart doing drugs?

When new hires and extensions are all signed after this season I don't think Stoops's contract will be too 10, it may not be top half of SEC, AU is prepared to make Kiffin #1, Saban, Kelly, Kirby, Jimbo are over that and if another school or NFL inquired about Chumlee the vols would wreck the market price. Beamer pulls another upset and beats Clemson this weekend he could write his check.

When new hires and extensions are all signed after this season I don't think Stoops's contract will be too 10, it may not be top half of SEC, AU is prepared to make Kiffin #1, Saban, Kelly, Kirby, Jimbo are over that and if another school or NFL inquired about Chumlee the vols would wreck the market price. Beamer pulls another upset and beats Clemson this weekend he could write his check.

Saban has won multiple national championships, Kirby just won his first and has the best team in America. Kelley has turned LSU around in one year and they are knocking on the door of the playoffs. Chumlee has whipped Stoops soundly since arriving In Knoxville.

Stoops just took our most talented team in decades and bubble screened it right out of the top 25. Historically putrid offense with our most talented skill players in decades. Lost to Vanderbilt at home. Granted Jimbo is a goober, but why are we comparing him to those guys?

Lost our last three home games. People actually debating if we can beat freaking Louisville now.

Saban has won multiple national championships, Kirby just won his first and has the best team in America. Kelley has turned LSU around in one year and they are knocking on the door of the playoffs. Chumlee has whipped Stoops soundly since arriving In Knoxville.

Stoops just took our most talented team in decades and bubble screened it right out of the top 25. Historically putrid offense with our most talented skill players in decades. Lost to Vanderbilt at home. Granted Jimbo is a goober, but why are we comparing him to those guys?

Lost our last three home games. People actually debating if we can beat freaking Louisville now.

I am not saying any deserve what they are making. I am saying coaching salaries are out of control. Stoops has accomplished as much as Kiffin has and AU is ready to make him the highest paid coach in the country. I personally don't think this UK team was his most talented. One of if not the least talented OL he has had in years. The QB is getting alot of credit for his size and arm, he holds the ball to long, puts it in danger which results in sacks and turnovers. Receiving crop is very talented, and the best unit on the team.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I am not saying any deserve what they are making. I am saying coaching salaries are out of control. Stoops has accomplished as much as Kiffin has and AU is ready to make him the highest paid coach in the country. I personally don't think this UK team was his most talented. One of if not the least talented OL he has had in years. The QB is getting alot of credit for his size and arm, he holds the ball to long, puts it in danger which results in sacks and turnovers. Receiving crop is very talented, and the best unit on the team.

Kiffin actually went to a bowl game that matters last year in the sugar bowl but I agree overall they are similar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT