ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope Should get an Interview

This is the Culture that Cal has left, no gold standard, that left about 4 years ago. Nothing against Pope but he had double digit losses last year, and maybe in a few years he might be ready for the Animal that is UK Basketball but not right now

Who care if it fricking land him his next job.Mitch needs to find the right coach for UK and this isn't it.
He’s part of the UK family. There’s a chance he could get a bigger stop than BYU next, and still be in line for the UK job in the future.

You don’t have to care, but I think it’s a good way to be.

He’s family. Doing a great job at BYU. Happened to be teammates with the dad of a player we would all like to see return.

Should we hire him? Depends how far we get down the list. But you don’t lose anything by interviewing him, unless you already have a grand slam lined up.

Give the guy a chance to make his best pitch.
I agree with you 100%

This business is about relationships and it helps Pope out to get a UK interview.

If Mitch hires him before Donovan, Pearl, etc though, we should tar and feather him, and toss him over the state line.

Reactions: dcw62 and Aike
I’m sure some people would have said Donavan wasn’t ready when Tubby was hired but he went to Florida and got to the championship game 3 times winning 2 of them.
A lot of people did say he wasn’t ready. Had to prove it first. Well, he went to Florida and proved it alright.

• Haha
Reactions: track42
Fair - I just think we need to ease up a bit. Even with Scott Drew, there were a lot of people already going nuts and acting like they’d revolt if we hired him. I think pretty much everyone would be absolutely thrilled with Scott Drew currently
I would still be upset with pastor Scott over Billy. If Billy is it and it just has to take 2 weeks then it just has to take 2 weeks.

He’s part of the UK family. There’s a chance he could get a bigger stop than BYU next, and still be in line for the UK job in the future.

You don’t have to care, but I think it’s a good way to be.

Yeah you’re at least doing Pope a solid with the interview possibly increasing his market value a smidgeon.

But it’s a waste of time and resources that could be dedicated to actually researching, vetting, and contacting realistic coach options right now.

No side missions. Barney needs to stay on task.

He’s family. Doing a great job at BYU. Happened to be teammates with the dad of a player we would all like to see return.

Should we hire him? Depends how far we get down the list. But you don’t lose anything by interviewing him, unless you already have a grand slam lined up.

No, he shouldn't. Qualified candidates should get interviews. No more family, no more buddies.

• Love
He'll get hired before Pearl and that alone puts me at ease during this search.

I'd be patient with him if he got hired and be excited to watch family rebuild this thing. I'd also laugh my tail off because some of the biggest A-holes here don't want him.

• Love
Reactions: ManitouDan
I would still be upset with pastor Scott over Billy. If Billy is it and it just has to take 2 weeks then it just has to take 2 weeks.
I didnt feel confident enough about Billy to not want Scott. I’d say the majority of us would prefer Billy, but given it was so uncertain with Billy I was more than happy with going ahead and offering Scott

He’s qualified. Might not be the best candidate, but he’s definitely qualified.
I think he can be a good coach at a big school eventually. But, his resume is not a quality resume for a blue blood. It's nothing against the guy, but there are about ten other coaches I'd call first.

I think he can be a good coach at a big school eventually. But, his resume is not a quality resume for a blue blood. It's nothing against the guy, but there are about ten other coaches I'd call first.
I’d probably agree on 10 other coaches. I made a list of 8, and he wasn’t on it.

But I’m not going to hate on the guy. He’s family. And I am curious what the Sheppard family thinks about the situation.

Reactions: MbergCat

No even entertaining the idea is laughable and makes us a laughing stock

Not exciting at all. I can’t see us winning a title with him. There is a comfort factor with him, but he hasn’t done enough as a head coach for me. Having said that, he would understand the fan base better than anyone else.

Reactions: Aike

I've been saying the same thing for two years now. Spot on.

Reactions: Aike
Everybody is laughing, but I’m dead serious. Letting him interview is the right thing to do.

He isn’t at the top of my list. Not even top 10. But it doesn’t bother me in the least for him to get an interview.

He’s not some random loser. He’s one of our guys.
Sounds like he had one today

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Everybody is laughing, but I’m dead serious. Letting him interview is the right thing to do.

He isn’t at the top of my list. Not even top 10. But it doesn’t bother me in the least for him to get an interview.

Pelphrey and ford are ours and I wouldn’t want either as a head coach

Apples and oranges. Ford is toxic. Pelphrey has a career losing record.

Pope just came off of a solid season in the toughest conference in the country.
Im just saying we aren’t in the business of hiring UK guys unless they are proving. It’s across the board. I love our former players and maybe pope will become the coach we need but not now. We aren’t in position for the head guy to be cutting his teeth in the dance.

Btw this is for you aike

Yeah you’re at least doing Pope a solid with the interview possibly increasing his market value a smidgeon.

But it’s a waste of time and resources that could be dedicated to actually researching, vetting, and contacting realistic coach options right now.

No side missions. Barney needs to stay on task.
It’s a smoke screen. Increase an alums market value. Get the fans to focus on it.

While working back channels to gauge Donovan’s interest. Hear nothing means Billy D is interested.

If he isnt interested, be a leaked report about them zeroing on one of their tier 2 candidates

Reactions: kywildcat41086

He is most likely going to be the guy who ends up taking the job, so for your own feelings you may want to bump him up that top 10 list…

Why interview someone if they have no shot at the job? If pope gets the job Mitch needs to be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT