ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope - BYU

Who is ready for the Kentucky job? He knows the Kentucky culture, has proven he can win in a big conference, and, as far as I know, loves the University. And he is young and can grow into the job. Unlike Cal, who became bull headed, and not fan friendly. Didn't care for the UK brand, only his own. Yes. I want Pope. And ride it out, with a 5 year contract. Probably can save some cash also.
Cal is gone. The past several years at UK were not acceptable and not the standard to be set. What Cal did then shouldn't be mentioned when hiring a coach.

What has Pope done to justify being the head coach at the all-time winningest program? He's 51 and the highlight of his career is two first round exits in the tournament.

I am all in favor of giving Mark Pope the job. If you know X's and O's, it doesn't matter where you are coaching. We need to stop trying to make the big splash; we need to get someone who can coach, really loves the university, driven to establish himself, and someone who doesn't think he is bigger than the university. I am not sure that Kentucky is better served by getting a louder and younger version of COW.

Last edited:
Cal is gone. The past several years at UK were not acceptable and not the standard to be set. What Cal did then shouldn't be mentioned when hiring a coach.

What has Pope done to justify being the head coach at the all-time winningest program? He's 51 and the highlight of his career is two first round exits in the tournament.
What has any coach done until he/she does it? Our arrogance could very well be part of the problem. When you consider the number of unexpected teams that made good runs into the tourney, it should be obvious that there are a lot of capable of coaches that don't have the big splashes name, but who cares? All we should want is someone who knows how to recruit & coach and really wants to be here.

I am all in favor of giving Mark Pope the job. If you know X's and O's, it doesn't matter where you are coaching. We need to stop trying to make the big splash; we need to get someone who can coach, really loves the university, driven to establish himself, and someone who doesn't think he is bigger than the university. I am not sure that Kentucky is better served by getting a louder and younger version of COW.
He runs really good offense to get people open. Movement away from the ball is imperative. I would be for him too but I don’t think it will happen.

I know I was definitely in the minority when I posed the question the other day about Pope as your next coach, but I really like this hire. You're going to have an up tempo, modern offense and shooting a lot of 3s. He runs good sets on offense and paying attention to BYU for the first time this year since they joined the Big 12, he seemed to get the most out of that team. They hustled for 40 minutes on both ends. My gut says he will adjust just fine to the biggest stage and will continue to bring in top recruits who will want to play in this offense to showcase them for the next level. Time will tell, but I think it's going to end up well for you all.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Reasonsimbroke Kramer GIF - Reasonsimbroke Kramer Cosmo Kramer GIFs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT