ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Lee or Cheick Diallo

Rhavicc

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2014
Serious question here guys. Is there any difference at all between the two? They both have, literally, the exact same skill sets (the way that I see it anyway). What differences do you see between the two?

Dumb question around here. The next big thing is always recruit. Lol
People seem to forget Lee getting the 20 point game 1 month in his first year. The only thing he needs is a chance. He will get one thing this year that he hasn't ever had. Coaching.
I'll take Lee.

If I could work with Lee his strength would be increased tremendously and he'd be bigger..........

Diallo sems to be stronger,he is a better rebounder and has more offensive skill

I dunno about being stronger. I know Marcus Lee is about 220-225# of solid muscle (Well, 4% body fat apparently, but that's insane).
Diallo is only 218#, so really, there's no way he's got more overall muscle than Lee. Marcus Lee is also more attuned to the college game. In high school, Lee was also getting a bunch of triple-doubles, so I really, really don't know.
Diallo can make a free throw though. That said, neither have a good jump shot, and neither consistently make free throws. Both are 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan, both block a lot of shots, both are crazy athletes.
The only edge I would give Diallo is that he has a motor that never stops, but when Marcus Lee turns it on, he's an insane player. Lee can also pass the ball really well for a big guy.
I don't see enough differences to fret if we don't get Diallo, because Lee is essentially the same player.

Serious question here guys. Is there any difference at all between the two? They both have, literally, the exact same skill sets (the way that I see it anyway). What differences do you see between the two?
There's not enough difference to not want Ingram a whole lot more.

It's a push . Which concerns me a bit, too much of the same skill set cost us #9

In that same fold, not enough of a certain skill set can cost us #9 as well. Marcus Lee (and Diallo as well if he comes to UK) can be 2 of the most important cogs in the machine. 2 guys on the roster who can make insane energy plays, protect the rim, and play solid defense.
Personally, I think next year is going to be a huge year for Marcus Lee. Junior year of college, he's going to be well aware (after Cal spent all of last season drilling it in his head) that if he brings the energy onto the court, he can blast most people on the floor.
Cauley-Stein was given slightly less talents in basketball than Lee, but he developed a mid-range game. Lee has a better post game, he handles the ball better, he passes better, and he can match Cauley-Stein's athleticism. If he develops a jumper, and gains a measly 5 pounds, potentially 10, and all the sudden you have a very dangerous, versatile player.
I'm already enamored with a frontcourt of Skal, Lee, and Poythress. If Poythress gets some consistency in his jumper, and gets his ball handling together, he could play 3 for UK and be a force. Fortunately for him, in his time away, not having to focus on plays, or game preparation, those are two things that he's been able to work on since late January.

There's not enough difference to not want Ingram a whole lot more.

Well Diallo is a 4. Ingram is a 3.. That said, I see your point. I definitely want Ingram, but I don't see it.
That being mentioned, Ingram will announce his decision around 6:00 pm eastern on Monday.

It's a push . Which concerns me a bit, too much of the same skill set cost us #9
There is a major difference in just maturity alone. As stated by another poster, I get tired of the some fans always believing that the newest big name recruit is better than the one you have. With this nonsense, is there a surprise that top recruits rarely hang around for a second year?

I would rather have ingram, Murray or brown. We need a bulky big man. We have enough 6'9 pogo sticks (poy and lee). Willis can play the 4 in a pinch. Hell, plumlee was the backup center for the champs this year and he is straight trash.

If I could choose izuduh and Murray/bbrown or diallo and no one, I would choose the former.

There is a major difference in just maturity alone. As stated by another poster, I get tired of the some fans always believing that the newest big name recruit is better than the one you have. With this nonsense, is there a surprise that top recruits rarely hang around for a second year?
Haha.The reason recruits stay just a year is because they want NBA money.I doubt they give a crap about fan opinion.

I guess since we're on the discussion, I want some of you all to take a look back at Lee when he was where Diallo is now. Lee never played in a weak place either, he played ball in Cali.
Once Lee loosens up and gets back to doing this stuff at a higher level, then UK will be exponentially better.

I've had this dream since Lee signed he will turn into a taller Stacey Augmon.

Ingram = Duke. I actually thought I'd read something where he himself said he's down to Duke, UNC, KU, which shocked me that he's no longer considering UK.

Ingram = Duke. I actually thought I'd read something where he himself said he's down to Duke, UNC, KU, which shocked me that he's no longer considering UK.

Well, this is actually false. Right now it's mostly down to UK and Duke, with him most likely going to Duke.
Can't see him going to UNC, with Justin Jackson there, and all.

Well, this is actually false. Right now it's mostly down to UK and Duke, with him most likely going to Duke.
Can't see him going to UNC, with Justin Jackson there, and all.

That's also what I thought. Let me find the quote. Here it is:

“I still stand good with Carolina — they’re still my favorites with Kansas and Duke. Everyone’s just going to have to wait until Monday when I make my decision.”

That's also what I thought. Let me find the quote. Here it is:

“I still stand good with Carolina — they’re still my favorites with Kansas and Duke. Everyone’s just going to have to wait until Monday when I make my decision.”

That's weird. Who was that reported by? I haven't seen that yet.

I guess since we're on the discussion, I want some of you all to take a look back at Lee when he was where Diallo is now. Lee never played in a weak place either, he played ball in Cali.
Once Lee loosens up and gets back to doing this stuff at a higher level, then UK will be exponentially better.

Thanks for posting this . IMO the difference is Diallo while raw has a little more offense . But both are 1st round picks and great players. I expect Lee to make a huge jump this year and be a lotto pick . But i think he will do it beside 2 other lotto picks in Skal and Diallo .

Maybe Diallo is slightly more offensively skilled.
But Lee will be a JR, and I expect that added experience to show (especially on the defensive end).
He played vs Willie, Towns & Lyles everyday this season.

I love Marcus Lee, we do not play for the title his Freshmen year without him. I think has tons of potential and I am glad we got him back.

I love Marcus Lee, we do not play for the title his Freshmen year without him. I think has tons of potential and I am glad we got him back.

As am I. When he plays with intensity, he lights up the stat sheet in a hurry off of rebounds, put backs, and plays in open space.

Reactions: joester5612
Just like in Newman,not hard to figure out where Ingram is going. He might as well tweet his decision as Zimmerman did and not waist everybody's time.

Just like in Newman,not hard to figure out where Ingram is going. He might as well tweet his decision as Zimmerman did and not waist everybody's time.

Idk, while everyone knows he's going to Duke I say let him enjoy it as much as possible. He's been working his butt off (like most of these kids) for years, let him enjoy it some now. Who knows, maybe with all the celebration he'll overeat and put some weight on...I have the feeling that he's not going to be that dominant next year, too easy to push around.

Diallo footwork for a big is tremendous. + He also seems to have good instincts/awareness.

They may have similar tools and perceived games, but Lee lacks so much IQ/footwork/awareness that his awesome athleticism/length can't be used to his advantage.

Reactions: ecwildcat
Diallo footwork for a big is tremendous. + He also seems to have good instincts/awareness.

They may have similar tools and perceived games, but Lee lacks so much IQ/footwork/awareness that his awesome athleticism/length can't be used to his advantage.

I don't know if you can really say that Lee lacks IQ with the number of times he was getting triple-doubles in high school. Diallo also is not very skilled, just athletic. Both have a pretty decent spin move off the dribble, both can lay it in and stuff, but neither are tremendously skilled, thus, you will build an offense around neither.
Lee is naturally a volleyball player, and Diallo is naturally a soccer player. Neither grew up learning basketball for a long time, both are just athletic enough to use the skills that they picked up from previous sports, add in the basics, and be good players. Diallo isn't necessarily an intelligent basketball player, which is where Lee's experience may come into play. Especially against the competition that Lee played against all year last year, which would blast the competition that Diallo has played against.

I don't know if you can really say that Lee lacks IQ with the number of times he was getting triple-doubles in high school. Diallo also is not very skilled, just athletic. Both have a pretty decent spin move off the dribble, both can lay it in and stuff, but neither are tremendously skilled, thus, you will build an offense around neither.
Lee is naturally a volleyball player, and Diallo is naturally a soccer player. Neither grew up learning basketball for a long time, both are just athletic enough to use the skills that they picked up from previous sports, add in the basics, and be good players. Diallo isn't necessarily an intelligent basketball player, which is where Lee's experience may come into play. Especially against the competition that Lee played against all year last year, which would blast the competition that Diallo has played against.

Lee dominated HS off sheer athleticism/length. Those qualities take you a long way against that type of competition.

Now in CBB, he's almost always out of position. Not aware of his surroundings and just missing assignments.

Diallo isn't particularly skilled. but holy hell does this dude just play hard all the time. Thats a skill. His instincts were on display against elite comp during the all-star game circuit. He's going to be awesome wherever he goes.

Lee dominated HS off sheer athleticism/length. Those qualities take you a long way against that type of competition.

Now in CBB, he's almost always out of position. Not aware of his surroundings and just missing assignments.

Diallo isn't particularly skilled. but holy hell does this dude just play hard all the time. Thats a skill. His instincts were on display against elite comp during the all-star game circuit. He's going to be awesome wherever he goes.

I think he's awesome too, but that said, if Lee plays with intensity, nothing points to Diallo being better than Lee. BUT, Diallo plays with intensity more.
Both dominate with their athleticism though, but Lee does have more basketball skills. Athleticism doesn't make you a better passer, which Lee has shown a lot of ability in. Diallo really hasn't in that regard.
Diallo plays as hard as he can the whole time though, and that's terrific. IF Kentucky can get Diallo, he'll have no problem being a productive player, staying fresh, and having somebody that can match him stride for stride in practice, and keep him honest during games. Same goes for Lee.
But, if he goes to St. John's, he won't have that luxury. Meanwhile, that's his home, and I see him staying home. I do believe Lee is the better player of the two with a weaker motor. He matches Diallo's motor, he becomes a force.

Briscoe had a lot to do with that.

I think he's awesome too, but that said, if Lee plays with intensity, nothing points to Diallo being better than Lee. BUT, Diallo plays with intensity more.
Both dominate with their athleticism though, but Lee does have more basketball skills. Athleticism doesn't make you a better passer, which Lee has shown a lot of ability in. Diallo really hasn't in that regard.
Diallo plays as hard as he can the whole time though, and that's terrific. IF Kentucky can get Diallo, he'll have no problem being a productive player, staying fresh, and having somebody that can match him stride for stride in practice, and keep him honest during games. Same goes for Lee.
But, if he goes to St. John's, he won't have that luxury. Meanwhile, that's his home, and I see him staying home. I do believe Lee is the better player of the two with a weaker motor. He matches Diallo's motor, he becomes a force.

Tough for a baller to wake up one morning and flip on a switch that'll make them play harder every trip on the floor.

I do agree on Lee's passing. Diallo hasn't shown this part of his game but i highly doubt its superior.

I don't think Lee is a good basketball player. So I'm expecting Diallo to have good success as a frosh and likely be in the NBA in two years, while Lee is preparing for his SR. year.

Tough for a baller to wake up one morning and flip on a switch that'll make them play harder every trip on the floor.

I do agree on Lee's passing. Diallo hasn't shown this part of his game but i highly doubt its superior.

I don't think Lee is a good basketball player. So I'm expecting Diallo to have good success as a frosh and likely be in the NBA in two years, while Lee is preparing for his SR. year.

Almost a frightening thought considering he doesn't have much of an offensive arsenal. Then again, nobody asked him to be a facilitator I guess.

Almost a frightening thought considering he doesn't have much of an offensive arsenal. Then again, nobody asked him to be a facilitator I guess.

I mean, we didn't know Lee was a good passer until he stepped foot at UK.

Diallo might end up showing decent vision. ( still a good bet Lee is better at this area)

I mean, we didn't know Lee was a good passer until he stepped foot at UK.

Diallo might end up showing decent vision. ( still a good bet Lee is better at this area)

Well, even if you just watch Lee's highlight video, he's making accurate behind the back passes, passes out of spins, wrap arounds, no look passes, etc.
Diallo really never shows that. At all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT