ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness Story-time 😊 ; Describe how you became a UK fan

In the summer of 1966 , my family drove down to Kentucky , from Toledo , for vacation . We stopped in Lexington and went into Kennedy's bookstore. It was the first store of its type I had ever been in . I was surrounded by EVERYthing UK ! Behind the cash register was a black-and-white lithograph of Rupp's Runts . I bought my very first UK piece of clothing , a reversible jacket , and I was hooked ! For LIFE !!! GBB
That picture was fantastic

When I was born I was blue, kept score growing up.I got tickets to the game in St Pete and some friends and my self took my dad.Went to work the next day and someone ask a friend how was Joe at the game and they told them pretty calm compared to his dad.Dad was in early to mid eighty's.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Born in Georgia. At the age of 9, we moved to Camden, TN. where my dad was in a training program with TVA. Moved in August of 1953. On January 30, 1954, there was a college basketball on local tv out of Nashville.

Turned out it was between Vandy and UK. First bb game I’d ever seen. Announcers talked a lot about Adolph Rupp, the man in the brown suit. Hagan, Ramsey, Lou T. team crushed the Dores.

Two months later, Dad completed training and got a permanent job with TVA in Paducah, Ky. Discovered I could listen to all UK games on radio. Two different local stations carried UK games, one featuring Claude Sullivan, the other Cawood.

I was hooked.
Not the story I remember bro. Thought you didn't become a fan until college days. Also, thought it was Feb of 55 we moved to Paducah but my memories of that time are a little hazy!:)

My mom, she used to keep score on Legal Paper, Had the names of the players and she would listen to Caywood's call and mark which players score. I kept those score sheets for a long time. She had been doing it since Rupps Runts and continued until she wasn't able to do it anymore..I remember she cried when Kentuky lost to Jacksonville in 70,My first cry was when they lost to UCLA in 75.

Born in Lexington, parents got UK season tickets in 1954 when Memorial Coliseum opened. First game I remember going to was in 1963 when I was 5, and seeing Cotton Nash. We had 5 kids and 4 seats so we all rotated going to games with Mom and Dad. I told people I was going to marry Louie Dampier when I grew up. ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: JST390-2
When I was born I was blue, kept score growing up.I got tickets to the game in St Pete and some friends and my self took my dad.Went to work the next day and someone ask a friend how was Joe at the game and they told the pretty calm compared to is dad.Dad was in early to MD eighty's
My mom, she used to keep score on Legal Paper, Had the names of the players and she would listen to Caywood's call and mark which players score. I kept those score sheets for a long time. She had been doing it since Rupps Runts and continued until she wasn't able to do it anymore..I remember she cried when Kentuky lost to Jacksonville in 70,My first cry was when they lost to UCLA in 75.

As a child I remember my Dad …he was pretty chill …loved to laugh, tell jokes …I am 60 now …we had like a big record player, radio stereo in the house …when the game was on it was like nothing else mattered do not disturb me …I was like what is he doing, listening too that has his attention like that and is so important ??? …He was so focused and serious on listening to at that time’s radio personality Cawood Ledford lol…TV was not a big thing

We moved to Florida when I was 12 …the reception to listen to WHAS in Louisville was not that great in our house …Every stinking game he would get in his car and drive it around our neighborhood until he could find a spot where the reception worked and he would park his car …I know the neighbors thought he was crazy lol …I still remember periodically going to find him …he always welcomed me to listen to the games with him …Those Al Purnell Old Folks Country sausage commercials still ring in my head and mind 😊

Lastly, he did not like it when UK lost …his demeanor would change if you know what I mean lol …He would not physically tear the house up but there was one time he kicked the stereo …I think it was in 1966 against Texas Western …pretty sure you guys know that story …when they lost he would be in a bad mood …sometimes it would take a day or two for him to come out of his doldrums …kind of like this board lol …He loved talking UK basketball …Even when we butted heads the love of the team always got us back in a good relationship.

Anyway, growing up in the Ashland, Boyd County area …when your Dad behaves like that it certainly has a way of molding and or effecting your personality and life .

Your turn …
I watched one AND was hooked. Do we owe Tubby AND apology?

Was born literally like 2 minutes from the Football Field, parents were massive UK fans, I have been one all my life as well, so I guess I was just born into it

Been here since birth. Great uncle actually had Rupp in class and still has his book of coaching notes. My grandfather worked in the mines, lived near, and was friends with the Ledford family. My dad moved for work but we still lived in the general Appalachian area. My earliest childhood memories are sitting in the living room listening to Cawood call our games and getting to meet him occasionally when we visited my papaw.

Last edited:
When I was born I was blue, kept score growing up.I got tickets to the game in St Pete and some friends and my self took my dad.Went to work the next day and someone ask a friend how was Joe at the game and they told the pretty calm compared to is dad.Dad was in early to MD eighty's

Wait , so TeoJ …you and dcw62 are brothers ? Related ?

Born in Florida and my daddy was from Pike Co, KY. I was a UK fan by birth because everyone from Pike Co in those days was UK, no matter where they lived.

Before TV it was difficult to get UK games this time of year. WHAS would come in an out and fade away so you had to get the radio in the right position. 1530 out of N. KY was a little better but still faded in and out.

My craziest moment came during the NCAA tournament in the 1970's. The Cats were playing but it was not on TV. I started listening in my family room but the radio reception was horrible. I moved outside in my driveway and got in my car because for some reason car radio reception was better. When the radio faded out I would start the car and move it in another position. This went on for about a half hour when I heard a knock on my car window. A sheriff deputy with a flashlight blinded me and I heard a voice saying what do you think your doing. He said a neighbor saw me moving the car like a drunk and called the law on me. I told him I was not drunk, I was listening to the ball game. He asked what ball game and I told him UK and it is the NCAA tournament. He asked if I was a UK fan and I said yes and he started laughing. (We have a reputation, even in the 70's) He asked me the score and I told him Cats are up by 5 and he laughed again and shook his head. Dang UK fan he said as he walked away, and told me, "Go Cats".

As a child I remember my Dad …he was pretty chill …loved to laugh, tell jokes …I am 60 now …we had like a big record player, radio stereo in the house …when the game was on it was like nothing else mattered do not disturb me …I was like what is he doing, listening too that has his attention like that and is so important ??? …He was so focused and serious on listening to at that time’s radio personality Cawood Ledford lol…TV was not a big thing

We moved to Florida when I was 12 …the reception to listen to WHAS in Louisville was not that great in our house …Every stinking game he would get in his car and drive it around our neighborhood until he could find a spot where the reception worked and he would park his car …I know the neighbors thought he was crazy lol …I still remember periodically going to find him …he always welcomed me to listen to the games with him …Those Al Purnell Old Folks Country sausage commercials still ring in my head and mind 😊

Lastly, he did not like it when UK lost …his demeanor would change if you know what I mean lol …He would not physically tear the house up but there was one time he kicked the stereo …I think it was in 1966 against Texas Western …pretty sure you guys know that story …when they lost he would be in a bad mood …sometimes it would take a day or two for him to come out of his doldrums …kind of like this board lol …He loved talking UK basketball …Even when we butted heads the love of the team always got us back in a good relationship.

Anyway, growing up in the Ashland, Boyd County area …when your Dad behaves like that it certainly has a way of molding and or effecting your personality and life .

Your turn …
Grew up in Elliott County where Ky is a household word.
Been through the good, the bad and the ugly and still a loyal fan.
Thankful for 8 titles.
They are a blessing and not something I'm
entitled to.
Tim

Anyone remember when you thought the University had went and lost it's mind. They hired a 28 year old who had only coached in a high school in Illinois. Nah, I don't either but it is a cool story

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Not the story I remember bro. Thought you didn't become a fan until college days. Also, thought it was Feb of 55 we moved to Paducah but my memories of that time are a little hazy!:)
I was 10 when we moved to TN. You were 4. So maybe you’re right. But the story is the same even if year wrong.

Remember listening to UK games on 1321 N 13th Also on Georgia street. Listened to GaTech end UKs 129 home court streak. Also the revenge game that year when Cats lost again.

Listened to UK winning National Title in ‘58 when we lived at 1121 N 13th.

Last edited:
My dad died in 1972 when I was 6. After we moved in with my grandpa, my job was to stand in the corner of stripping room with a transistor radio so we could all hear Cawood. That's when I knew UK was special.
These are the kind of stories that just make being a UK fan from from the state of Kentucky different than becoming a UK fan in another state later in life. Happy to have them on the team, but it really is just a different type of deal. Awesome story and illustration of what it means growing up a Cat fan.

Last edited:
These are the kind of stories that just make being a UK from from the state of Kentucky different than becoming a UK fan in another state later in life. Happy to have them on the team, but it really is just a different type of deal. Awesome story and illustration of what it means growing up a Cat fan.
Your reply brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for that. Go Cats.!! Let's rock this!!

My dad died in 1972 when I was 6. After we moved in with my grandpa, my job was to stand in the corner of stripping room with a transistor radio so we could all hear Cawood. That's when I knew UK was special.
We are a dying breed.

Most of these youngens on here will think you were dancing on a pole when you mentioned standing in the corner of a stripping room.

UK Basketball is more special to many of us than how many players get drafted in the NBA.

UK basketball is who we are. Too many memories of those gone on who taught us to love those Wildcats.

This younger generation of "fans" on this site will never understand it.

Unfortunately, neither does Cal.

I was in 4th grade the year of the Runts 1965-66. My father was in the meat packing business and he bought cattle from a cattle and tobacco farmer in Maysville who had connections to the UK College of Agriculture. He gave my dad tickets to multiple UK games from that year through 1970 when my dad was transferred out of the region (I would return to Kentucky in 1972 to go to UK.). The first time my father took me to Memorial Coliseum, our tickets were up in the balcony. I will never forget walking into the Coliseum and looking out and down on to the Coliseum and floor and the guys I had only seen through eyes and radio voice of Claude and Cawood were alive in those baggy white warmups getting ready for the game in the percision figure 8 warm up drills of Coach Rupp. I was hooked. There could never be a more perfect place. The rest is history.

Last edited:
I was in 4th grade the year of the Runts 1965-66. My father was in the meat packing business and he bought cattle from a cattle and tobacco farmer in Maysville who had connections to the UK College of Agriculture. He gave my dad tickets to multiple UK games from that year through 1970 when my dad was transferred out of the region (I would return to Kentucky in 1972 to go to UK.). The first time my father took me to Memorial Coliseum, our tickets were up in the balcony. I will never forget walking into the Coliseum and looking out and down on to the Coliseum and floor and the guys I had only seen through eyes and radio voice of Claude and Cawood were alive in those baggy white warmups getting reading for the game in the percision figure 8 warm up drills of Coach Rupp. I was hooked. There could never be a more perfect place. The rest is history.
You showed your love for UK in the way you always played and respected the game.

Thanks for the memories. Thanks for being a "real" Wildcat.

These are the kind of stories that just make being a UK fan from from the state of Kentucky different than becoming a UK fan in another state later in life. Happy to have them on the team, but it really is just a different type of deal. Awesome story and illustration of what it means growing up a Cat fan.
Yeah the stripping room story was awesome …I lived in eastern Kentucky until I was 12 …but that lifestyle and culture has never left me …hence this thread …when we moved to Florida first thing I did was go out into the neighborhood to find the nearest pickup games …couldn’t find anyone so I played by myself until some of my new neighbors stopped in to join me …never forget after we started playing games and I was torching everybody they got mad and started chunking oranges at me all the way home lol.

Some beautiful stories here …thanks for the reminders of how I was raised …I miss it …had a feeling some of you were royalty and this thread proves it 😊 …would love to meet each and everyone of you and talk UK hoops for hours

UK Basketball Mgr 1969-1972 under Coach Rupp deeply indebted to him and Bill Keightly
Oh my gosh 😳 …as a kid we had a book in our house called “The Rupp Years” I read and flipped through it a thousand times …man I bet you could share some great stories …I also remember Bill being talked about in my house …my Dad used to have fun with the name Chris Gettlefinger lol for obvious reasons …

Oh my gosh 😳 …as a kid we had a book in our house called “The Rupp Years” I read and flipped through it a thousand times …man I bet you could share some great stories …I also remember Bill being talked about in my house …my Dad used to have fun with the name Chris Gettlefinger lol for obvious reasons …
The Rupp Years by Tevis Laudeman a great book Coach Rupp autographed my copy before he passed in 1976

• Love
Reactions: JST390-2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT