ADVERTISEMENT

LPs? Yes/No?

Love my LP's. Have quite a collection for the most part collected in the 70's and 80's. Of course then they cost 4 or 5 bucks unless bought import albums. They still sound great on a vintage McIntosh setup. :cool:

Reactions: UK82
Yes about 500. Been collecting for years.
Mostly 60's stuff
Beatles, British Invasion, Simon & Garfunkel etc
Mellow Matts in BG has tons ofnew and used vinyl.
Highly recommend this store.

Last edited:
I get the nostalgia aspect, and the desire to "collect", but to me streaming is everything I'd always hoped for as a music fan. For a relatively inexpensive fee, you get all of the music you could want at your fingertips. No need to stand in the record store (which doesn't exist anymore) deciding whether to buy an album or CD because of one song you've heard on the radio. I don't see any point to buying music any more, whether in vinyl form or otherwise.

I get the nostalgia aspect, and the desire to "collect", but to me streaming is everything I'd always hoped for as a music fan. For a relatively inexpensive fee, you get all of the music you could want at your fingertips. No need to stand in the record store (which doesn't exist anymore) deciding whether to buy an album or CD because of one song you've heard on the radio. I don't see any point to buying music any more, whether in vinyl form or otherwise.

I have no clue how much artists receive based on LP sales, but I’m guessing it is a little more than they get just for streaming…for me, it’s a way to support the bands I love - the rest get the streaming option.

Reactions: UK82 and rudd1
Abandoned vinyl in the 1980s because of the emergence of CDs and the poor quality of vinyl at the time. But I'm back in the game in the past several years. I'm building a modest collection. (I still have several crates of old records, but I doubt they are listenable.) Some material just begs for the warmth of vinyl, such as "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Kind of Blue." Also bought the new Stones album on vinyl.

• Love
Reactions: BC_Wader and UK82
I have no clue how much artists receive based on LP sales, but I’m guessing it is a little more than they get just for streaming…for me, it’s a way to support the bands I love - the rest get the streaming option.

-yep. I buy a decent bit of new vinyl... "everything" from 3-4 artists and other stuff that lends itself to full album listening.

-digital is great... but the process of listening to tangible media is better for the stuff I love. Album art/liner notes... the experience/vibe of touching a record can't be matched by mashing buttons on the spotify.

• Love
Reactions: jcrow10 and UK82
Same here mostly 60s and early 70s
If you are close to bowling green mellow matts has great selection of new and used vinyl.
I graduated from WKU in '76 and still have Great friends there so I over that way now and then. I will check that store out.

I graduated from WKU in '76 and still have Great friends there so I over that way now and then. I will check that store out.
I graduated 71. Mellow matts is well worth it. I could spend hours in the store. He will also try and locate albums. One of wife kin is getting married in sept walking down aiske to here comes the sun by beatles. Using vinyl lps for people to sign as guess register. He is looking for used copy of beatles love songs double lp.

Regarding streaming, it's something I use daily. Listening to The Warning's last album on Apple Music in Dolby Atmos with AirPods sounds incredible...but I don't own it that way. Instead, I went to their site a few months ago and bought two of their records which I love and they both sound great on the turntable. I'm a 90s kid and I want to own my hobby. I'm the guy with a wall of movies because with streaming, movies come and go and even when you "purchase" them, they can still be taken away from your digital "collection." I won't pretend to be into the "warmth" of vinyl and with current tech, like Dolby Atmos, streaming does sound impressive. But I want the record, the artwork, and the history in my hands. I have an Elvis album from 1956 that sounds surprisingly great with barely any pops or crackling. Does the streaming version sound better? Probably, but I'd rather have something in my hands that was purchased back then and was either in someone's collection for decades or passed from fan to fan like a mixed tape.

Reactions: UK82 and BC_Wader
I like the vinyl sound better than the streaming. Also, a lot of the Remastered stuff is crap. I want to hear it tje way I originally did. Case in point, Alice in Chains Dirt the remaster sounds like complete garbage. It's one of my favorite albums of all time just not on a streaming platform.

My grandson bought me a turntable and some albums for Christmas about 3 years ago. He bought me albums that he had heard me play music from in the car, etc. A really cool and thoughtful gift. I will occasionally, especially after a few gin and tonics, throw an album on and mess around on here. However, after several times of getting up to flip the album or replace it, I find myself turning it off and going back to bluetooth where I don't have to consistently change things.

I still have a ton of albums that go back as far as the 60s. Many aren't worth playing.

I've been buying most of my vinyl through Acoustic Sounds which has their own pressing plant. Excellent company. Expensive but quality products. They have their own in-house label along with other labels. Analogue Productions is their reissue label which started in the 90s. Their new release label called Analouge Productions Originals are recorded on-site on their campus in a church they converted into a studio. They recently bought The Mastering Lab from the Sax estate. Quality Record Pressing sources 99.99% from master tapes.

I love it when I have the house to myself and I can fire up the record player, turn up some Allman Bro’s Live at the Fillmore East, Zeppelin I- IV or the Dead and just sit back and jam out.
Same here! "Great Minds Think Alike"! 😁

I graduated 71. Mellow matts is well worth it. I could spend hours in the store. He will also try and locate albums. One of wife kin is getting married in sept walking down aiske to here comes the sun by beatles. Using vinyl lps for people to sign as guess register. He is looking for used copy of beatles love songs double lp.
Did you happen to to be in a Frat at WKU? I was a PIKE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT