ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville has ALWAYS been a MYTH

backinky2018

Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
Their fans do not understand that even their glory years were a mirage. They feasted on bad teams on Tuesday nights in CUSA and would usually still manage to lose to a bad team that would keep them from being undefeated (Rutgers, UCF, et al).

Even when UK was bad and UL was "good", UK was still winning more big games than they were (e.g. UL cannot sniff another win that approaches the win over LSU in 2007). The only GREAT UL win was against FSU at home the gameday game, but otherwise, there is very little meat on that bone.

They are now in a bad conference (again) with very few teams that put any kind of focus or resources into football. They got the luxury of playing a schedule with no Clemson, FSU, or UNC this year (I mean, does Brohm have naked pictures of someone in the ACC office?).

UK has the better team, the better program, the better fanbase, the better university, more resources, better stadium, better campus, better conference, and a ton more conference money and exposure. There is no reason why UK should lose to UL on any kind of regular basis. The gap between the haves and have nots will only continue to increase and UL is a have-not.

Even when the media buys into the fraudulent records, and even when their ridiculous "fans" (in quotes, b/c there are very few of them) get chirpy, always remember these facts. They are who they have always been.

They're too stupid to understand that when they play NOBODY and when that it doesn't make them good. I don't know how but they're even dumber than OSU fans with their two decent opponents EVERY year.

They're too stupid to understand that when they play NOBODY and when that it doesn't make them good. I don't know how but they're even dumber than OSU fans with their two decent opponents EVERY year.
Watching their cope is hilarious. "We are going to the orange bowl while you go to to the toilet bowl" is their retort, not realizing that their orange bowl is 100% a result of playing their pansy schedule. It's always been this way, but they're convinced their a sleeping giant in football.

Watching their cope is hilarious. "We are going to the orange bowl while you go to to the toilet bowl" is their retort, not realizing that their orange bowl is 100% a result of playing their pansy schedule. It's always been this way, but they're convinced their a sleeping giant in football.
The toilet bowl is in Louisville, they got flushed last Saturday!

I agree with the premise that their program was built on a "myth" though I would say on a criminal enterprise. That credit goes to one guy...Tom Jurich. Hate him as I do he was brilliant at manipulating the media, in particular the Courier Urinal. They scheduled every available weeknight slot in order to maximize eyeballs. Much was done while they were in joke conferences.

Jurich also was able to sell the money people and a very corrupt administration as to spending on the stadium improvements while syphoning off money from the Yum Center financing. Jurich makes the Biden crime family jealous.

Jurich fleeced academics, with a willing admin, to instead build athletic venues. Small initially and then growing them as more money and more hype surrounding him and the University grew.

UofL also has benefited from hires like Petrino, Schnelenberger and Brohm who mostly had local ties and endless Jurich money to tap....taken from the corrupt President. All while the CJ looked on and ran GLOWING coverage and covering up the truth.

Give him credit, he was able to build the hype to the point that the academic standards in the ACC just went right out the window. I hope at some point Jurich leaves and forgets his laptop at a computer repair shop.

Their basketball program too. They caught lighting in a bottle with Crum. That should have been it for them. They should've been a Cincy type program after that. But they hired Pitino. And the only reason they got him was because he wanted to be able to coach back in the commonwealth of Kentucky. Not because he loved or believed in how great a program UL was. They're finally seeing what type of program they've always been now that Pitino and Crum are gone. A mid-major who lucked into two great hires. Same for their football program. All smoke and mirrors.

Their fans do not understand that even their glory years were a mirage. They feasted on bad teams on Tuesday nights in CUSA and would usually still manage to lose to a bad team that would keep them from being undefeated (Rutgers, UCF, et al).

Even when UK was bad and UL was "good", UK was still winning more big games than they were (e.g. UL cannot sniff another win that approaches the win over LSU in 2007). The only GREAT UL win was against FSU at home the gameday game, but otherwise, there is very little meat on that bone.

They are now in a bad conference (again) with very few teams that put any kind of focus or resources into football. They got the luxury of playing a schedule with no Clemson, FSU, or UNC this year (I mean, does Brohm have naked pictures of someone in the ACC office?).

UK has the better team, the better program, the better fanbase, the better university, more resources, better stadium, better campus, better conference, and a ton more conference money and exposure. There is no reason why UK should lose to UL on any kind of regular basis. The gap between the haves and have nots will only continue to increase and UL is a have-not.

Even when the media buys into the fraudulent records, and even when their ridiculous "fans" (in quotes, b/c there are very few of them) get chirpy, always remember these facts. They are who they have always been.
All true, if they played in SEC all of those years they would have finished never higher than bottom 4.

Their basketball program too. They caught lighting in a bottle with Crum. That should have been it for them. They should've been a Cincy type program after that. But they hired Pitino. And the only reason they got him was because he wanted to be able to coach back in the commonwealth of Kentucky. Not because he loved or believed in how great a program UL was. They're finally seeing what type of program they've always been now that Pitino and Crum are gone. A mid-major who lucked into two great hires. Same for their football program. All smoke and mirrors.
I didn't want to step on the OP with entering basketball...but face it....that is where their money and exposure first came. As you said, 100% Pitino would have been at Michigan if not for his friends back in the Commonwealth. Mostly his UK close circle. But boy he misjudged the reaction once he stabbed us in the back. But it worked for Jurich and his legend status in their minds. Pitino and Petrino both at the same time was a pretty good pair.

Build it and they will come. Carefully manicured PR and a media Jurich could threaten makes a difference. That glowing coverage hurt us for a long time. Bashing MB and glowing coverage of Jurich as "top AD in the Nation." Sickening.

Its funny but if Matt Bevin didnt win....Jurich would still be AD and Pitino would still be on the bench. Bevin was an odd duck but HE (and Papa John to a degree) was the deathknell for much of what they were doing.

I agree with the premise that their program was built on a "myth" though I would say on a criminal enterprise. That credit goes to one guy...Tom Jurich. Hate him as I do he was brilliant at manipulating the media, in particular the Courier Urinal. They scheduled every available weeknight slot in order to maximize eyeballs. Much was done while they were in joke conferences.

Jurich also was able to sell the money people and a very corrupt administration as to spending on the stadium improvements while syphoning off money from the Yum Center financing. Jurich makes the Biden crime family jealous.

Jurich fleeced academics, with a willing admin, to instead build athletic venues. Small initially and then growing them as more money and more hype surrounding him and the University grew.

UofL also has benefited from hires like Petrino, Schnelenberger and Brohm who mostly had local ties and endless Jurich money to tap....taken from the corrupt President. All while the CJ looked on and ran GLOWING coverage and covering up the truth.

Give him credit, he was able to build the hype to the point that the academic standards in the ACC just went right out the window. I hope at some point Jurich leaves and forgets his laptop at a computer repair shop.

Good point. Jurich deserves a lot of credit (blame?) for UL's (fake) success. I do give him credit for getting UL into the ACC, as if it weren't for that, UL would be out in the wilderness. I still think their day is coming where they are relegated to the minor leagues, but in the interim, we have to put up with this fake hype for a few more years while we keep beating them.

Good point. Jurich deserves a lot of credit (blame?) for UL's (fake) success. I do give him credit for getting UL into the ACC, as if it weren't for that, UL would be out in the wilderness. I still think their day is coming where they are relegated to the minor leagues, but in the interim, we have to put up with this fake hype for a few more years while we keep beating them.

I am afraid that with all the facilities they have accumulated under Jurich that relegating them to the minor leagues is a stretch. Its money that talks and they seem to still find plenty. They have impressive sports venues so lets just hope their lousy academics hurts their getting recruits.

I am afraid that with all the facilities they have accumulated under Jurich that relegating them to the minor leagues is a stretch. Its money that talks and they seem to still find plenty. They have impressive sports venues so lets just hope their lousy academics hurts their getting recruits.
My guess is that they land in the Big 12 or a watered down ACC once Florida State and Clemson (and likely Miami and UNC) depart for greener pastures. They'll still compete, but we will be "miles ahead" in terms of resources. It is likely that UK is bringing in $80-100MM per year from our SEC deal while UL is stuck in the $30MM range. That's a huge gap for them to manage...

I didn't want to step on the OP with entering basketball...but face it....that is where their money and exposure first came. As you said, 100% Pitino would have been at Michigan if not for his friends back in the Commonwealth. Mostly his UK close circle. But boy he misjudged the reaction once he stabbed us in the back. But it worked for Jurich and his legend status in their minds. Pitino and Petrino both at the same time was a pretty good pair.

Build it and they will come. Carefully manicured PR and a media Jurich could threaten makes a difference. That glowing coverage hurt us for a long time. Bashing MB and glowing coverage of Jurich as "top AD in the Nation." Sickening.

Its funny but if Matt Bevin didnt win....Jurich would still be AD and Pitino would still be on the bench. Bevin was an odd duck but HE (and Papa John to a degree) was the deathknell for much of what they were doing.
Love him or hate him Matt Jones was getting great info on UL. He drug them through the mud which was well deserved!!

Reactions: grevey35
My guess is that they land in the Big 12 or a watered down ACC once Florida State and Clemson (and likely Miami and UNC) depart for greener pastures. They'll still compete, but we will be "miles ahead" in terms of resources. It is likely that UK is bringing in $80-100MM per year from our SEC deal while UL is stuck in the $30MM range. That's a huge gap for them to manage...
Certainly they will be in an interesting dilemma when it comes to conference realignment. They will not be offered SEC or B10. Not a remote possibility. So at this point they gotta see where the rest of the more attractive ACC schools land.

I have said this for years! When you only have two or three teams to get up for its much easier than a conference grind like the SEC. Where i might disagree some is I do think the ACC is a little better than we Uk fans give credit. Ga Tech certainly played Ga better than we did, Fl st beat LSU , and UNC beat South Carolina and we couldnt... But their fans are mostly delusional about their success. Where they have bettered us I think is in coaching hires. They hired Howard Schnellenberger when he would have come to UK in a heart beat. We had Claiborne who was solid but not ground breaking. Petrino had a crazy good offensive scheme while we were still recovering from Mumme probation. They hired Charlie Strong when we could have had him a decade before. I wont get into the narrow minded reasons why we didnt. BUT they have beaten us to the punch on hiring Progressive coaches. For that they deserve some kudos.

Great thread, and many good points made by thoughtful UK and college football fans.

As a UofL alum and fan, I don’t expect an invitation to the Big Ten or SEC to come anytime soon, so I’m not going to worry about what I cannot control. I will accept membership in a lesser league and enjoy the hell out of all those 10, 11, 12, even 13 win seasons.

Hopefully, we win multiple conference championships and earn multiple bids to the expanded playoffs. If, as expected by every UK fan, we get drilled by whichever SEC team we face in the playoffs, I can live with that, too.

Congratulations to all Cats fans on the win last Saturday. And yes, it definitely made me mad to lose to UK yet again.

Last edited:
I have said this for years! When you only have two or three teams to get up for its much easier than a conference grind like the SEC. Where i might disagree some is I do think the ACC is a little better than we Uk fans give credit. Ga Tech certainly played Ga better than we did, Fl st beat LSU , and UNC beat South Carolina and we couldnt... But their fans are mostly delusional about their success. Where they have bettered us I think is in coaching hires. They hired Howard Schnellenberger when he would have come to UK in a heart beat. We had Claiborne who was solid but not ground breaking. Petrino had a crazy good offensive scheme while we were still recovering from Mumme probation. They hired Charlie Strong when we could have had him a decade before. I wont get into the narrow minded reasons why we didnt. BUT they have beaten us to the punch on hiring Progressive coaches. For that they deserve some kudos.

Fair point. Schnellenberger was a great coach and a great hire for them. Petrino is a scum bag, so he fits the culture there. Strong is interesting b/c he was a GREAT DC and failed at Texas, but he seemed like he had it going at UL against weak competition every year.

Satterfield and Krags were bad hires, but I think Brohm will do well there. He isn't a perfect coach, but he will probably churn out 7-9 wins most years against the schedule they play and will upset at least one better team each year (he'll also lose to one shocking lower level team [e.g. Pitt]) and will lose to UK more often than not.

Reactions: grevey35
Great thread, and many good points made by thoughtful UK and college football fans.

As a UofL alum and fan, I don’t expect an invitation to the Big Ten or SEC to come anytime soon, so I’m not going to worry about what I cannot control. I will accept membership in a lesser league and enjoy the hell out of all those 10, 11, 12, even 13 win seasons.

Hopefully, we win multiple conference championships and earn multiple bids to the expanded playoffs. If, as expected by every UK fan, we get drilled by whichever SEC team we face in the playoffs, I can live with that, too.

Congratulations to all Cats fans on the win last Saturday. And yes, it definitely made me mad to lose to UK yet again.
LOL

Who are you saying he should have been hired over? His resume was not even in the same league as Curry at the time if that is the claim. I'm not buying your other insinuation in the least if this is the situation you are referring to. Kentucky avoided going the coordinator route for many years after the disastrous John Ray experience.

You just proved the point of the thread.

UL fans say they want to go back to dominating us in football. Well, we`ve won the last 5, 6 of the last 7 and 10 of the last 16. Their 5 wins in a row came when Joker left us with no talent and Stoops was building our program back to respectability. That sounds like our dominance, not theirs.
The days of dominating UK in football for UL are over.

Ah yes, the glory years.

images

UL fans say they want to go back to dominating us in football. Well, we`ve won the last 5, 6 of the last 7 and 10 of the last 16. Their 5 wins in a row came when Joker left us with no talent and Stoops was building our program back to respectability. That sounds like our dominance, not theirs.
Of the 5 wins straight one of those came against a team that didn’t have a coach. Three others came against Satterfield led teams who never seemed to get the whole rivalry thing. The rivalry has always been dominated by the team with the better coach. You guy went on runs through the Kragthorpe and Satterfield years. Louisville went on runs through the Joker and Brooks years and somehow even Ron Cooper went 2-1 vs UK. I think Joe the coaching is probably closer for both team than it ever has been in the past.

Of the 5 wins straight one of those came against a team that didn’t have a coach. Three others came against Satterfield led teams who never seemed to get the whole rivalry thing. The rivalry has always been dominated by the team with the better coach. You guy went on runs through the Kragthorpe and Satterfield years. Louisville went on runs through the Joker and Brooks years and somehow even Ron Cooper went 2-1 vs UK. I think Joe the coaching is probably closer for both team than it ever has been in the past.
Dude you’re the biggest excuse defender I’ve seen in a while.

I`ll agree the coaching is closer than it`s ever been, but UL went on their 5-game run when UK was at one of the lowest points we ever where. Stoops said he didn`t realize how bad our talent was until he got here. We had 1 player who could run 20 MPH. Once he got some talent, your run stopped. As far as Satterfield not getting the "rivalry thing", a coach shouldn't have to get a player excited about a rivalry game, that should be on the players.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild

The coaching thing is just a cop out. We had better talent across the board and much better on the LOS. The bigger, more talented team wins in football 90+ % of the time. UL narrowed that gap recently mainly with some recruits and a bunch of transfers. Were much more physical than at any point in those 5 years. Brohm gets that. Will be very competitive going forward. End of story.

...And, man basically ruining the dream season was sweet:) Enjoy the ACC

Reactions: sefus12
We had better talent across the board and much better on the LOS.
If that were correct then UK would have dominated the game or at least won convincingly. Yet, the difference in score was the result of special teams play. Beyond that the score was even, though UK did have a 3-1 TO advantage.

Congrats to the UK team on the victory.

-st production and turnovers are just as relevant as any other phase/stat... discounting that is wrong-headed.

^mumme's uk teams stuffed the stat sheet...and beat almost no one.

-st production and turnovers are just as relevant as any other phase/stat... discounting that is wrong-headed.

^mumme's uk teams stuffed the stat sheet...and beat almost no one.
I did not discount the ST and TO. UK won those two stats and they contributed to the UK victory. The post I responded to said that "We had better talent across the board and much better on the LOS."

My point was that UK would have dominated if they had better talent across the board and much better on the LOS.

Why didn't UK dominate?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT