ADVERTISEMENT

Lexington homicides

syrus12

All-American
Jun 15, 2006
We just had our 35th homicide of the year, surpassing the record of 34 set *way back* in 2020. Apparently, of those 35 homicides, 21 remain open.

So we’ve got that going for us.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
A lot of cities broke homicide records last year and are doing it again this year. Louisville is going to get close to 200 so Lexington is looking pretty good in comparison. When I first moved here less than a decade ago 60 homicides was a bad year.

Last edited:
I have heard that Owensboro has had a lot of shootings this year. Back in 2002 when I was home for the summer after my first year at UK, 2 people were murdered and the entire town was in a panic

A lot of cities broke homicide records last year and are doing it again this year. Louisville is going to get close to 200 so Lexington is looking pretty good in comparison. When I first moved here less than a decade ago 60 homicides was a bad year.
This is what happens after 25%-30% of the police force quits because Louisville's mayor and metro council treat them like enemies to appease their political base. The city can't find enough new recruits to fill out cadet classes. So it's only going to get worse. Carjackings are also on record pace.

I’m

spesking of: has Louisville ever been showcased on COPS?
Yes, back during the early-90s. My cousin was on. He got hit upside the head with a beer bottle outside a bar. Production crew interviewed him soon after. I was serving in Germany at the time, watched the scene and immediately laughed my ass off.

Last edited:
Any of those cities Democrat? 🤔

Almost all large cities are these days which I am sure you know. Assuming that a Republican would ever get elected mayor in Philly, NYC or LA (a highly unlikely scenario, I grant you), but what would they do to stop or greatly reduce the murder rate?

Is Jacksonville the largest US city with a Republican mayor? I could be wrong but remember seeing that somewhere. If so, seems like they have about the same problems as all the other cities of similar size:

In Lexington, (I think Linda Gorton is a Republican, not that it matters much, is a non partisan race) which I am guessing is no different than most cities, cops and DAs will tell you they cannot get witnesses to come forward to testify explaining why 60% are still open. Given that many of the murders are driven by drugs and/or gangs, not all that surprising, the witnesses don't want to be the next victim.

Almost all large cities are these days which I am sure you know. Assuming that a Republican would ever get elected mayor in Philly, NYC or LA (a highly unlikely scenario, I grant you), but what would they do to stop or greatly reduce the murder rate?
Probably not encourage riots, entertain defunding the police, or work on bail "reform".

Is Jacksonville the largest US city with a Republican mayor? I could be wrong but remember seeing that somewhere. If so, seems like they have about the same problems as all the other cities of similar size:

In Lexington, (I think Linda Gorton is a Republican, not that it matters much, is a non partisan race) which I am guessing is no different than most cities, cops and DAs will tell you they cannot get witnesses to come forward to testify explaining why 60% are still open. Given that many of the murders are driven by drugs and/or gangs, not all that surprising, the witnesses don't want to be the next victim.

Ahh yes, the old “nothing can be done about this” argument. While I obviously agree you can’t stop all murders and crime, I think we should strive maybe a little bit to not set records. It is 100% Democrat policy that is driving this and any repub who supports said policy is equally at fault.

Criminals are emboldened more now than at any point in my lifetime, because they know and have been shown there will be little to no consequence. Only one party supports that nonsense and it is absolutely driving this massive crime wave.

Ahh yes, the old “nothing can be done about this” argument. While I obviously agree you can’t stop all murders and crime, I think we should strive maybe a little bit to not set records. It is 100% Democrat policy that is driving this and any repub who supports said policy is equally at fault.

Ok, but so far as I know, there haven't been any big riots in Lexington or Jacksonville, they have not defunded the police nor had bail reform. So . . . . other than repeating political talking points that mean nothing and essentially accomplish nothing, what are your other suggestions? I am not trying to start a fight, but murder is up all over the country, we all would like some better answers.

Reactions: catburglar
For Lexington, I believe that the Fayette County school shutdowns have directly caused at least some of the increase in homicides. There is a drug war in the city that has waaaay too many young kids shooting each other,

Ok, but so far as I know, there haven't been any big riots in Lexington or Jacksonville, they have not defunded the police nor had bail reform. So . . . . other than repeating political talking points that mean nothing and essentially accomplish nothing, what are your other suggestions? I am not trying to start a fight, but murder is up all over the country, we all would like some better answers.

So it’s your claim the national rhetoric about bail reform and defunding police aren’t having an effect in pretty much every major metropolitan area? Lex may not have big riots, but it is a town absolutely run by liberals who sympathize with criminals more than victims.

Criminals are emboldened across the board and the ONLY thing that backs them down is strength in leadership and with enforcement. This idea we can empathize and understand is getting people killed at a rate we’ve not seen in our lifetime.

For Lexington, I believe that the Fayette County school shutdowns have directly caused at least some of the increase in homicides. There is a drug war in the city that has waaaay too many young kids shooting each other,
23 of the victims here in Louisville are 17 and under, they just arrested 2 juveniles this week for gunning down a kid waiting on the bus to go to school. When school started going back in person there were all these people blabbing about if only 1 kid dies from Covid then it was a mistake, nobody seems to give a shit about the ones getting murdered every other week in the city.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Louisville is a blight on this state. Quit letting the race hustlers stir up trouble there. You'd think those idiots would stop voting Democrat every election but they'll never learn.

Greg Fischer is a freaking joke. I'm really ashamed I ever voted for him. (note, it was when I had first moved to the city and it was also the first time someone other than Jerry Abramson was on the ballot in what apparently was forever)

I live across the river now. But the local news is all Louisville so it's all I see. Thankfully Fischer is termed out, but looking at the list of people running the future isn't too bright.

So it’s your claim the national rhetoric about bail reform and defunding police aren’t having an effect in pretty much every major metropolitan area? Lex may not have big riots, but it is a town absolutely run by liberals who sympathize with criminals more than victims.

Criminals are emboldened across the board and the ONLY thing that backs them down is strength in leadership and with enforcement. This idea we can empathize and understand is getting people killed at a rate we’ve not seen in our lifetime.

Couple of questions before I respond: Where do you live, and tell me what you think bail reform means?

By the way, per my previous post, besides stating that towns run by liberal Democrats are murder capitals, tell me specifically what you or a strong, Republican mayor in Lexington or any other major city would do, not in general, tell me what you or your hypothetical mayor of Lexington would do first day on the job to first stop, then solve all these murders? I have talked to Chief Weathers about this topic, and know Mayor Gorton personally, I promise to pass on your suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Every place that made legal gun ownership and self defense easier has seen a dramatic reduction in crime.

Higher prison sentences for violent felons will reduce future crime.

The broken window theory is widely accepted in law enforcement but not by dems. If you allow kids to throw rocks through windows with no consequences they will end up being the violent felons a few years later. You have to set a tone of law and order and not just "accept a certain level of crime".

Couple of questions before I respond: Where do you live, and tell me what you think bail reform means?

By the way, per my previous post, besides stating that towns run by liberal Democrats are murder capitals, tell me specifically what you or a strong, Republican mayor in Lexington or any other major city would do, not in general, tell me what you or your hypothetical mayor of Lexington would do first day on the job to first stop, then solve all these murders? I have talked to Chief Weathers about this topic, and know Mayor Gorton personally, I promise to pass on your suggestions.
Considering Weathers and Gorton disagree on this subject, I'm not sure either of them are going to implement message board suggestions brought up by a civil attorney.

But as stated above, not supporting the anti-police rhetoric would be a good start. The school shutdown has absolutely had multiple negative consequences too.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Considering Weathers and Gorton disagree on this subject, I'm not sure either of them are going to implement message board suggestions brought up by a civil attorney.

But as stated above, not supporting the anti-police rhetoric would be a good start. The school shutdown has absolutely had multiple negative consequences too.

They definitely disagree on the ban on no knock warrants.

Anyway, just by coincidence, David Kloiber, city councilman (and a Democrat, FWIW) announced he is running for Mayor yesterday, here is what he had to say on the subject per the LHL - sounds to me like he favors more youth programming, including a program already supported by Gorton:

On Wednesday the city hit a grim milestone -- 35 people have been homicide victims so far this calendar year, an all-time record. Other cities across the country, including Louisville, are also seeing gun-related homicides spike.

To reverse that trend, Lexington needs to up its programming for youth, Kloiber said. Many youth have been victims of homicide or have been charged in relation to those homicides.

Kloiber said Gorton has put more emphasis behind One Lexington, a youth violence prevention program run by Devine Carama. But more money and funding needs to go to prevention efforts.

“We also need to partner with the school system to create more after-school programs to keep youth engaged,” Kloiber said. “Community engagement can really make a difference.”

Saw a carload of smash and grabbers in San Francisco breaking into cars going from car to car. They were driving a Mercedes so crime pays.

First of all the residents of Lexington and Louisville must demand safe streets and protection against those who want to kill. You want to know what strong leadership will do to clean up your city, pass strong laws like anti-riot bills. Enforce the law and if someone commits murder, try them and give them the death penalty if convicted.

The facts are obvious Democrats do not vote for strong anti crime leadership. Not in Kentucky and not in Minneapolis or Seattle or Portland. They accept and support the criminal over the victims. To deny that is to lie.

I have no idea who your Mayor Gorton is. I have only heard her name but from the tone of your comments she seems to be a very weak leader on matters of crime. I am sure the UK professors lover her and of course Lexington's finest the LBGQRST community adores her.

I would recommend you advise your mayor to go on YouTube and listen to what Sheriff Grady Judd and Gov DeSantis say about crime. Tell her to show this to your Chief of Police and all law enforcement officers. Try their methods for awhile and see if Lexington turns into a safe and prosperous community and not a gang shooting war zone. It will not hurt and what do you have to lose? Your city sucks and is a disgrace to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, how about cleaning it up. As Hillary says, do it for the children. .

Last edited:
Yea, they definitely need to throw more money at the problem. I’m sure the criminals are just dying to attend after school programs.

That was pretty much my take as well, when the guy running against the incumbent mayor says my plan to combat crime is to continue the programs already put in place by the incumbent doesn't make a very compelling argument to vote for him.

FWIW, I think he has no chance of winning, she got more than 60% of the vote in 2019 and is pretty popular from what I can tell. Nobody else can beat her either, at least IMO.

I'll give you an example of a Republican mayor cleaning up a crime ridden liberal city. Rudy Giuliani is widely credited for drastically cutting crime (from petty street crimes up to murder) in New York in the 1990's. Now NYC is being run by liberal democrats again and crime (murder, looting, assaults, riots, etc.) is flourishing again. Look to what Rudy did to deal with crime for examples of what policies might work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT