ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Talk Florida

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
1 week off to prepare for the Gators, but they also have the week off to prepare for us.

They are one of the few teams in the country that can score similarly to us (UF averages 86 PPG).

They run like crazy, their tempo is very similar to ours.

They only shoot 33% 3FG, but shoot 47% overall and generate a ton of possessions.

5 guys averaging double figures.

Their 3 losses are against Baylor (by 4 points), Virginia (3 points) and Wake Forest (11 points).

ESPN predictor gives Florida a 62% chance to win, and Kentucky only a 38% chance to win, which is surprising but maybe it's accurate.

First true road environment we will face, the O'Dome is already sold out and will be ROWDY.

Quad 1 opportunity.

I'm a little surprised to see that Florida (9-3) is not even receiving votes in the AP or Coaches polls.

Needless to say I think this is a must-win to start league play and earn a big Q1 win, but I'm nervous about this one for sure.

What does everyone think going into this game?

1 week off to prepare for the Gators, but they also have the week off to prepare for us.

They are one of the few teams in the country that can score similarly to us (UF averages 86 PPG).

They only shoot 33% 3FG, but shoot 47% overall and generate a ton of possessions.

Their 3 losses are against Baylor (by 4 points), Virginia (3 points) and Wake Forest (11 points).

ESPN predictor gives Florida a 62% chance to win, and Kentucky only a 38% chance to win, which is surprising but maybe it's accurate.

First true road environment we will face, the O'Dome is already sold out and will be ROWDY.

Quad 1 opportunity.

I'm a little surprised to see that Florida (9-3) is not even receiving votes in the AP or Coaches polls.

Needless to say I think this is a must-win to start league play and earn a big Q1 win, but I'm nervous about this one for sure.

First true road game is worrying but we are a far and away better team
They have played 5 quad 4 games. They are 3-3 in quads 1-2 and 6-0 in quads 3-4.

Honestly I'm not worried about them one bit, I think it's a high scoring affair but we win by double digits.

Been worried about this game for a while but nobody can run with us. Their best best is to slow it down and play defense. If we have an off shooting night, we lose this one. Just my gut feeling.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Been worried about this game for a while but nobody can run with us. Their best best is to slow it down and play defense. If we have an off shooting night, we lose this one. Just my gut feeling.

I think Florida can definitely run with us, especially if we are missing shots.

Don't think they will slow it down, think they will play their game and put pressure on us to make shots in a tough environment.

I agree, if it's an off night for us shooting, we lose, potentially by double digits.

If we shoot it how we have been, we should win by double digits.

But think it will be a game played in the 80s and 90s when all is said and done.

Tough first conference game no doubt. Handle Florida and it bodes really well for us. Nothing to be nervous about but if they shoot above their level from the perimeter it’ll go down to the wire. I like this team in crunch time, especially the way Reeves is playing, he can decoy while you have 2 of Reed, Rob, or DJ out there with him. Get sucked in on Reeves, and Reed can either make a big shot or create an easy look for someone else, Rob can slip and is a ridiculous and 1 threat in the lane or finishing at the rim. DJ can take advantage of a one on one matchup and get you a bucket. Worry about those threats and you just get the ball back to Antonio who will bury you.

Biggest risk is Cal deciding “I’ve got to get Justin involved in closing out games because we’ll need him out there in March”. I don’t think he’ll decide to try that against Florida, but he’s gonna do it at some point and we know how that’s likely to go.

If UF tries to run with us they will get blown out.

They are good enough to make this a very close game and even win, but not by pushing the tempo and running.

This will be a tough test, wish we had a warmup SEC road game before this one.

Florida will be tough down there the homeport advantage will give them a plus 5, if we are not ready to play we lose.

I think the game will ultimately come down to one thing… defense

Similar to the Miami game plan…run the Gators off the 3 pt line but with good close outs and defensive rotation if the shooter drives.

The Cats cannot continue being late on close outs and going for so many shot fakes.

I think the game will ultimately come down to one thing… defense

Similar to the Miami game plan…run the Gators off the 3 pt line but with good close outs and defensive rotation if the shooter drives.

The Cats cannot continue being late on close outs and going for so many shot fakes.
We better improve a lot on D in a week and I doubt we shoot 75%(Miami) against anyone again this season. Otherwise, I agree. Lol!

Quad 1 opportunity.

I think we have way better than a 38% chance but they are a solid team.

I think Florida can definitely run with us, especially if we are missing shots.

Don't think they will slow it down, think they will play their game and put pressure on us to make shots in a tough environment.

I agree, if it's an off night for us shooting, we lose, potentially by double digits.

If we shoot it how we have been, we should win by double digits.

But think it will be a game played in the 80s and 90s when all is said and done.
Kenpom has UK with a 52% chance of winning fwiw.

First team to 81 wins., our upperclassmen need to step up and the freshman will follow. Tre and Reeves need to be aggressive and need touches everytime down court. This is the best Florida team in years. They are a tournament team. Play our game and we will win by 6.

Go Cats!

source.gif

First few SEC games ALWAYS worry me with Cal's younger teams. We usually just aren't as polished as our opponents.

If we can go 2-1 over this tougher-than-it-looks 3 game stretch, I'll be happy.

I cannot believe I am reading that people on here are fearful of Florida. I thought we had the best 4 guards in America. I thought this was the best team since 2015 and they were final 4 bound. Cal had a resurgence and new found energy. They wouldn’t lose over 3-4 games. Now suddenly we have a road game and fans are nervous.
This better be the year the Cats prove they can win outsides of Rupp and return the program to national prominence. St. Peters and Round of 32 flame outs won’t get it done. It is time for a final 4 or Cal hits the door.

The 2 times I saw them , very good offensive rebounding team. We just gave up 24 of those to a mid-major.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I cannot believe I am reading that people on here are fearful of Florida. I thought we had the best 4 guards in America. I thought this was the best team since 2015 and they were final 4 bound. Cal had a resurgence and new found energy. They wouldn’t lose over 3-4 games. Now suddenly we have a road game and fans are nervous.
This better be the year the Cats prove they can win outsides of Rupp and return the program to national prominence. St. Peters and Round of 32 flame outs won’t get it done. It is time for a final 4 or Cal hits the door.
There was an entire thread of people being afraid of UofL last week.

People on here were scared of 16 seed WKU back in 2012.

It's just what people do around here I guess.

We will see how grown up our freshman are…I’ve got confidence in them.

The good news is that they have already played in a couple of really intense environments (the KU game and UNC game)- high stakes, intense crowds, lots of pressure- and they have performed excellent in both.

Let's see if that translates to a true road, hostile atmosphere.

Everyone is harping on the defense and rightly so. It's the rebounding and boxing out that's the bigger concern IMO.
I never played organized ball, but even at 6'0 with NO VERTICAL, in pickup games in my 40's I was still a good rebounder. How? Then the ball went up, lots of guys just freeze or at most box out; but I would use those 2 seconds to spin around the boxout or move to an open area (especially to the weakside). But what do I see our guys like Mitchell and Bradshaw do, not move and even start to run back on DEF even before the other team gets posession. WTF!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT