ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about the 2016 recruiting class

Rhavicc

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2014
Barring the possibility of getting Jamal Murray, the 2015 class is signed, sealed, and will be delivered in a couple of months. While some are disappointed in the class, I'm very optimistic and we will yet again compete for the national championship (Just ask Vegas).
Enter the 2016 recruiting class. Coach Cal has started recruiting very early this time around. Right now there looks like there are 3 players who want to be at Kentucky out of the 2016 class.
We won't discuss Wynyard because he has already committed, most are familiar with who he is, and he may arrive on campus and begin his Wildcat career in December of 2015.

Kobi Simmons St. Francis
1_947907.jpg

Where will Kobi Simmons commit to?
  • 1_34206.gif
    81%
  • 1_111621.gif
    12%
  • 1_810035.png
    6%

Kobi Simmons may be as much of a lock for UK as any elite player recruited by John Calipari. He's visited UK numerous times, his favorite player is John Wall, and he apparently grew up with a lot of UK influence around him. Almost sounds as if UK is his dream school.
Simmons is a tremendous athlete with a lot of quickness, and he's an outstanding shooter (in his 3 years of high school ball, he's never shot less than 40% from deep, and as high as 46%). Also an exciting facilitator who makes some nice highlight passes.
I'll consider the #1 combo guard in the c/o 2016 a lock for UK.

Josh Langford Madison Academy
1_947883.jpg

Where will Josh Langford commit to?
  • 1_34206.gif
    50%
  • 1_1243132.png
    17%
  • 1_3448076.png
    17%
  • 1_810035.png
    8%
  • 1_27554.gif
    8%

Josh Langford may be a favorite for UK for a few reasons. To start, Kobi Simmons is AAU back court companion (both play for the Atlanta Celtics). He visited UK for a game last season, and also went to Big Blue Madness in 2013, so UK has been an interest to him long before he picked up his offer, which came April 20th of this year. He has also hosted Coach Cal for an in-home visit, where he received that offer.
Langford is a big wing player, who has a ton of versatility in his game. A large guard at 6'6, 200#, he is a powerful wing playmaker with size and explosiveness, he grabs a ton of rebounds, and makes a lot of athletic plays. Also has a good post-up game for a guard, and with his size, that's a nice tool to have. Terrific outside shooter as well (His junior year, he shot 45% from 3 point range).
I expect the #3 combo guard in the class to follow his AAU teammate, Kobi Simmons, to UK to serve as the shooting guard in a very dynamic backcourt.

Miles Bridges Huntington Prep
1_2971239.jpg

Where will Miles Bridges commit to?
  • 1_34206.gif
    54%
  • 1_27554.gif
    46%

UK hasn't had a prototypical NBA small forward since MKG. Miles Bridges may serve as the first since then, standing at 6'6, and weighing 218# in his junior year, he's already nearly the size of Jusise Winslow, and he's 2 years younger. The kid is a bull, and he plays like one. On the EYBL circuit as a late, he's been a double-double machine playing as the small forward for The Family out of Detroit. Michigan State for a long time was considered the favorite, and during that time, Bridges openly mentioned that he wished for a UK offer. Finally, that offer came, and since that time, UK has steadily increased as the favorite to land his services.
Much like MKG, he's not shown to be much of a 3 point shooter, but his shot is not broken (much like the deadly hitch in MKG's that took years to fix). You can still run plays for him in the half-court due to his stature and athleticism. Where he obviously thrives is in transition, where he can take advantage of most match-ups.
It doesn't hurt that he blocks shots and steals the ball as well. Just what we need at the 3.
I would figure that he picks UK based on how much he wanted that offer, and how high he's been on UK.

What do you guys think? How do you feel about these recruits, and are there any other recruits that you currently feel comfortable about UK getting in the class of 2016?

Let's hope that happens. I'm discounting Tatum, seems like a dukie pukie.

I'm thinking the same thing. Same with Giles, but the only other Duke lock that I seen from that class has already reclassed and committed to play for them in 2015.

Reactions: madison1329
If those are the three we get for the PG, SG, & SF spot, then color me happy. The question I have is what impact will Ulis have on them? Ulis is a stud. But what if he comes back for a JR year? Could that push Simmons to SG and Langford to SF? That would be a very great shooting back court.
What are your thoughts on front court players? Good chance we will be replacing Skal and Poythress. Possibly Lee if he has a solid season.

Reactions: CATFANINFLORIDA
If those are the three we get for the PG, SG, & SF spot, then color me happy. The question I have is what impact will Ulis have on them? Ulis is a stud. But what if he comes back for a JR year? Could that push Simmons to SG and Langford to SF? That would be a very great shooting back court.
What are your thoughts on front court players? Good chance we will be replacing Skal and Poythress. Possibly Lee if he has a solid season.

I would be okay with that, and I figure they would as well. It would essentially move everybody up a position, which would work well at the college level. Bridges is big, athletic, and versatile enough to play the PF in college, and Langford is easily big enough and versatile enough to play the SF in college.
I'm curious to see who we get in the front court. I think we could potentially get Azubuike, but many think he's a heavy lean to Florida State. I guess if we really go after him hard, we can get him.

Good write up, rhavicc. Some good stuff there. I am hoping and praying for Malik Monk, I'll take whatever else comes with him.

Would be tremendous if we got him on board as well. He's seems very similar to John Wall in so many ways. He's the kind of kid that would make Rupp Arena an electric environment every time out on the floor.

Monk and Simmons seem like can't miss prospect. Going to be hard pulling Monk out of arkansas.

Monk and Simmons seem like can't miss prospect. Going to be hard pulling Monk out of arkansas.

As long as Anderson is down there, anything is possible. They just need to regress, which is very possible considering Portis and Qualls are gone.

With all the great guards available, it's hard to pick a favorite. Rawle Alkins is another player I really like. There are so many players and offers out there, I think we'll have 2-3 on board fairly early in the process - so the question is who.

A threesome I'd like to see is Simmons, Alkins or Monk, and Jonathan Isaacs.

With all the great guards available, it's hard to pick a favorite. Rawle Alkins is another player I really like. There are so many players and offers out there, I think we'll have 2-3 on board fairly early in the process - so the question is who.

A threesome I'd like to see is Simmons, Alkins or Monk, and Jonathan Isaacs.

My biggest question is in the frontcourt. We'll get great guards, that's a given, but there are very few big men in the class. Hopefully Labissiere stays (he won't), or both Poythress and Lee stay (Not sure if they do, kinda doubtful).
We'll have Wynyard at the very least, curious to see who else.

My biggest question is in the frontcourt. We'll get great guards, that's a given, but there are very few big men in the class. Hopefully Labissiere stays (he won't), or both Poythress and Lee stay (Not sure if they do, kinda doubtful).
Bet you said the same thing about WCS or Booker. Nobody had those guys as lottery, not even scouts. those two were ranked anywhere from 30-40. Now they're lottery picks. Murray is already a projected lottery pick, but a coach like Cal can make him a top five pick. It happens all the time. If you go by what scouts are saying then you'll know that most of them are saying Murray has improved every year. It's not far fetched to think a good player like Murray could end up a top 5 pick.

Those three mentioned as locks would be HUGE to get.

The front court is where we're going to have to find some players. Maybe we go a Memphis style lineup and play four guard/forward types?

Thanks Rhavicc, great info, I hope we get them all, I'm like some other posters though, there are not many bigs in next years class, but the coach will figure it out, he always does.

@Rhavicc james young would be considered prototypical NBA small forward.

Other wise, solid write up.

But go all in for Malik monk.

I think he's the closest thing that we've had other than MKG, but I don't think he carries the weight to be the prototypical NBA 3, rather than the prototypical NBA 2.
That said, James Young could and did suffice as a small forward for UK, and I even feel like Mulder and Matthews will as well (due to the similarities between the 3 of them in terms of stature). I don't believe any would play the 3 in the NBA though, but even then, all could in college, which is what matters for us.

It might be true that there are very few big men in the class. Or it might turn out that some big men in the class are late bloomers. I believe Calipari will sign a couple of good ones.

All of you who think it's likely Ulis and Briscoe will be back need to think about the 2016 draft. It will be very, very weak at the guard position - which means the stock of guys like Ulis and Briscoe is going to be higher than usual.

I think many of you are also drastically under-estimating how good Briscoe is and will be next year. You're probably also underestimating how good Ulis is going to be when he is handed the reins.

With the dearth of big men in 2016, what I hope is that Lee comes back for his Senior year and starts at center or PF. If that happens - with Wynyard in the fold - we would just need to get one more elite big. Hopefully we can make inroads with Azubuike. He'd be a perfect complement to Lee.

Thinking the same thing. Will be interested to see what Cal does about Monk. Were definitely a big player but hopefully he doesn't pull a holdout and go for him like newman. Would be very satisfied with Langford and Simmons duo. I'm hoping we push hard for Udoka Azibuke and another big to help wynayrd. I really like VJ kings game as well but seems he likes UL a lot due to coaching ties. This is one of the best guard classes in sometime.

I'd be elated if UK landed those three. I'm also a big V.J. King fan. Class of 2016 is stacked with quality wing players. Hopefully our bad luck with small forwards comes to an abrupt halt.

Side note: what do you guys think the chances of landing Simmons would be if Ulis returns?

Hoping UK gets involved with Josh Jackson who is the best guard in the country. Jackson, Monk, Giles and Tatum are all elite talents. I'd like to think they land either King or Bridges, with Tatum seeming like a Duke lean.

Jackson seems likely to go the Mudiay route.

Will be interesting to see how Dukes year pans out though. Many of you who fretted about the impact of "platooning" on recruiting are misinterpreting why it hurt us. It wasn't because parents think it's going to be a routine thing at UK. It's because last year revealed the risk of OAD recruiting at any school.

If a bunch of guys who were supposed to be OAD come back (Harrison's/Dakari), then all of a sudden guys who signed early like Lyles, Booker, Ulis are playing 20 or so minutes a game instead of 35.

What happened at UK last year is going to affect Dukes recruiting next year as much as UKs. The Thornton signing already appears to have pushed Dennis Smith toward NCState, and Jayson Tatum has to be wondering how certain it is that Brandon Ingram is OAD.

Will be interesting to see how Dukes year pans out though. Many of you who fretted about the impact of "platooning" on recruiting are misinterpreting why it hurt us. It wasn't because parents think it's going to be a routine thing at UK. It's because last year revealed the risk of OAD recruiting at any school.

If a bunch of guys who were supposed to be OAD come back (Harrison's/Dakari), then all of a sudden guys who signed early like Lyles, Booker, Ulis are playing 20 or so minutes a game instead of 35.

What happened at UK last year is going to affect Dukes recruiting next year as much as UKs. The Thornton signing already appears to have pushed Dennis Smith toward NCState, and Jayson Tatum has to be wondering how certain it is that Brandon Ingram is OAD.

Not sure if Jackson wants to go the Mudiay route. I'm convinced that if Mudiay played in college (and if he stayed healthy), he would likely be the #1 pick in the draft despite how talented Towns and Okafor are.

Will be interesting to see how Dukes year pans out though... What happened at UK last year is going to affect Dukes recruiting next year as much as UKs. The Thornton signing already appears to have pushed Dennis Smith toward NCState, and Jayson Tatum has to be wondering how certain it is that Brandon Ingram is OAD.
Agree. At some point that uncertainty can cause recruits worried about playing time to look elsewhere - maybe that's what happened to UK this year (although 4 possible lottery picks you'd think would reassure recruits worried about draft position.) Coach K does have a short rotation and doesn't focus on positions, though, so I think a guy like Tatum - who would be at worst the 3rd-best player on a team with Giles and Ingram - wouldn't worry about playing time. K's short rotation seems mostly to impact the 7th - 9th best players, who often transfer.

I believe that is why Coach Cal is getting early starts on 2016 & 2017 recruiting because we will probably lose labissiere, Briscoe right now is around #15, Poy probably leaves, and if Lee has good season and moves up in 1st round or near 1st round. That leaves us with Ullis, Mulder, Matthews, Willis, and Hawkins. So, we will need a strong and deep 2016 recruiting class with the 5 or 6 we have back in 2016.

I believe that is why Coach Cal is getting early starts on 2016 & 2017 recruiting because we will probably lose labissiere, Briscoe right now is around #15, Poy probably leaves, and if Lee has good season and moves up in 1st round or near 1st round. That leaves us with Ullis, Mulder, Matthews, Willis, and Hawkins. So, we will need a strong and deep 2016 recruiting class with the 5 or 6 we have back in 2016.

Briscoe and Lee aren't on this draft mock

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Briscoe isn't on this draft mock either and Lee checks in at 29.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Where are you getting Briscoe projected at #15? Or are you just making up your own "facts?"

Briscoe and Lee aren't on this draft mock

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Briscoe isn't on this draft mock either and Lee checks in at 29.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Where are you getting Briscoe projected at #15? Or are you just making up your own "facts?"
I don't know if this is what he saw but even though he isn't projected on the draft he checks in as the #15 high schooler on nbadraft.net

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/highschool

Azuibuke would be a serious addition to whoever we end up getting in the class
Definitely. So would Bolden, Bradley, Humphries. Honestly, I think some people look at the empty list of 2016 Cs on the Kentucky Rivals website and take that to mean there aren't any bigs in the 2016 class. Sometimes bigs are late bloomers. It's also possible that a 2017 big might reclassify, like Nerlens Noel did.

Reactions: UKcatXXXL
I don't know if this is what he saw but even though he isn't projected on the draft he checks in as the #15 high schooler on nbadraft.net

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/highschool
I still don't understand the obsession some people have with projecting our players in mock drafts before they even set foot in a UK practice. What possible relevance to anything? When players sign with Kentucky, I want to see what they can do for our basketball team, not what some talking head thinks about their draft position before they have even played a game of college basketball. LOL!

Labissiere is OAD.

If we get Murray, he is OAD as well.

Poythress is gone. I can't see him staying a fifth year regardless of his performance.

Briscoe is a good possibility. He's going to have a monster season, IMHO. He's the second best player on the squad right now.

Lee might leave, he will probably have his degree, if he wants to try to jump. He seems to be enjoying the college life, though and might decide to stay rather than go to the D-League or overseas. I don't see him ever being a first rounder. He's too limited offensively.

Ulis probably has to stick around and get his degree because of his size. He'll likely be back as a Junior.

I'm predicting Ulis, Lee, Matthews, Mulder, Hawkins, Willis, and Floreal are back. Wynyard will be here as well, of course. Hopefully he comes in second semester and is ready to be a beast inside for us in 2016-17.

That's eight on scholarship.

Our PG spot is good with Ulis back.

Hopefully, we get Simmons to replace Briscoe and start at SG and backup the PG.

Matthews and Mulder are role players on the wing and should not scare off anyone unless one of them exceeds my expectations.

Hopefully we get Langford or Bridges to play the 3 spot.

Lee either starts or plays major minutes inside.

Wynyard is going to be an excellent 5 for us, IMHO. Only 17 and already 6'10, 260-ish, plenty of meat inside.

Add at least one more big inside, and we will be in good shape, especially if Willis can give us some minutes as a Senior.

Reactions: UKcatXXXL
Labissiere is OAD.

If we get Murray, he is OAD as well.

Poythress is gone. I can't see him staying a fifth year regardless of his performance.

Briscoe is a good possibility. He's going to have a monster season, IMHO. He's the second best player on the squad right now.

Lee might leave, he will probably have his degree, if he wants to try to jump. He seems to be enjoying the college life, though and might decide to stay rather than go to the D-League or overseas. I don't see him ever being a first rounder. He's too limited offensively.

Ulis probably has to stick around and get his degree because of his size. He'll likely be back as a Junior.

I'm predicting Ulis, Lee, Matthews, Mulder, Hawkins, Willis, and Floreal are back. Wynyard will be here as well, of course. Hopefully he comes in second semester and is ready to be a beast inside for us in 2016-17.

That's eight on scholarship.

Our PG spot is good with Ulis back.

Hopefully, we get Simmons to replace Briscoe and start at SG and backup the PG.

Matthews and Mulder are role players on the wing and should not scare off anyone unless one of them exceeds my expectations.

Hopefully we get Langford or Bridges to play the 3 spot.

Lee either starts or plays major minutes inside.

Wynyard is going to be an excellent 5 for us, IMHO. Only 17 and already 6'10, 260-ish, plenty of meat inside.

Add at least one more big inside, and we will be in good shape, especially if Willis can give us some minutes as a Senior.

As long as you realize that Matthews was top 15 in the class before his groin injury and his ranking dropped solely because he didn't play games on the AAU circuit. Matthews is an elite slasher and a very, very good defender. Terrific mid-range game as well.

Briscoe is considered a top 15 pick and is gone . While a Rondo likes to over hype Murray , he will be a first rounder regardless .

I think what's important is that Murray wants to be the #1 pick in the draft, and our coach has had 2 guards who were the top pick in the draft, and has had the most top draft picks of any coach. I'm sure Murray recognizes that.

I think what's important is that Murray wants to be the #1 pick in the draft, and our coach has had 2 guards who were the top pick in the draft, and has had the most top draft picks of any coach. I'm sure Murray recognizes that.

I think that fact gets lost on people.

If KAT goes #1 this draft, then it's a ridiculous 3 for 6 for #1 draft picks for Cal since coming to UK.

That is crazy.

And four out of six of those years also ended in a Final Four.

Bottom line is this: if you want to go #1 (or at least land in the lottery) AND go to the Final Four, then UK is the best place in America to go.

What school/coach has gotten as many players drafted as UK/Cal and also made as many Final Fours as UK/Cal?

We all know the answer.

Reactions: bigc45157
As long as you realize that Matthews was top 15 in the class before his groin injury and his ranking dropped solely because he didn't play games on the AAU circuit. Matthews is an elite slasher and a very, very good defender. Terrific mid-range game as well.
This is not totally right.

Matthews' rating dropped and stayed down mainly because he hasn't developed as a shooter.

I agree Matthews is underrated, but he is not going to scare off Langford or Bridges, IMHO.

I still don't understand the obsession some people have with projecting our players in mock drafts before they even set foot in a UK practice. What possible relevance to anything? When players sign with Kentucky, I want to see what they can do for our basketball team, not what some talking head thinks about their draft position before they have even played a game of college basketball. LOL!

My friend, it has nothing to do with wanting to push players out the door and everything to do with the realities of OAD and 2AD recruiting.

I would love nothing more than for Briscoe to stay 2 years and Ulis to stay four, but I suspect that one year ago many of you would also be saying it was crazy to project Booker/Lyles/Johnson as being gone. With as many offers as Cal has out to 2016 guards, I guarantee you he is projecting Briscoe and Ulis as possibly being gone this year.

The reality is that we don't have the luxury of waiting until next Spring to figure out who goes and who stays. Simmons, Monk, Bridges, Langford, Fultz, etc. all appear poised to commit early. We don't want to be in the position again of scrambling for late risers and JUCOs in the Spring.

The reality is we got caught out this year. Doral Moore would have committed if we had offered him last Summer, but we held off and he went to Wake Forest. Danjel Purifoy as well would have committed on the spot with an offer, but we didnt and he went to Auburn. When those two look like promising multi-year players next year while we're having issues with not enough bodies (if Murray doesn't come and Wynyard doesn't join team in January), remember that they could have been on our roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT