ADVERTISEMENT

La Familia NIL Donations This Week…

Imagine launching a new NIL initiative, rolling out a commercial between the end of the regular season and the start of the SEC tournament.

Imagine the commercial features your homegrown hero freshman, and everyone’s favorite coach on a hot seat.

Now suppose you lose game one of the SEC Tournament. You lose game one of the NCAA Tournament.

90% of the fanbase wants to see the coach hit the road, but he’s retained. The homegrown freshman hero featured in the ad is considered likely to go pro.

From a marketing standpoint, could you dream up a less effective scenario to raise funds?
Football 2 years ago fumbled it big time, announcing their NIL collective 2 days after getting beat by 3-6 Vandy at home.

Football is being creative. The recent addition of the 500 Strong Club with the private concert is an indication of that. They believe they can raise $4 - $5 million annually off that.

I was prepared to donate $25 for every postseason win this year. Thanks to Cals ineptitude, I have saved myself some money

I don't like to get into discussions about if I give or don't give to UK. But I will say, money I may or may not give to UK goes to scholarships for Kentucky residents to get an education.

I know I'm out of touch, but I think its absurd to donate to any athletic fund when revenue sharing brings in millions, the players have zero loyalty and look to leave as soon as possible.

NIL is going to quickly reach a breaking point. We see this now - 50% of a coaches job is NIL funding generation.

and you'll see, just like Calipari, coaches retained, not for their ability to coach but their ability to land players due to NIL.

With the transfer portal, its won't even be called recruiting, it will be roster building in a combination of recruiting and transfer portal where a coach will start each season with a bucket of money, like playing some version of fantasy football

Folks, it's time, empty out your savings accounts, retirements, what have you, BBN needs you on that wall, make it so, give more than your fair share, it's the least you can do.

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
The more I ponder on this, the more I think this is going to be a big problem.

I said a while back that schools like Duke and Notre Damn are poised very well for this new era of NIL, because of how wealthy and vast their fan base is. And sure, fan donations don't make up everything in NIL.. but fans who own businesses do. And that's what some of these schools have: rich alumni that own their own business, practice, firm, etc.

UK has the money to pay the coach, but they need to figure out how to play this NIL game and a way to fund it. UK needs to be a top10 college for NIL funding, any way it can.

I still like the idea of tapping into the fan base. Levels of NIL donations where say $30 gets you a poster and $100 gets you a signed basketball. Going to have to find ways to tap into the large, but fairly "middle America" fanbase. Tradition does not matter going forward. Relying on what we did in the 40s and the 90s to land recruits just won't work. It's coaching, pay days, perks, and exposure. Have to figure those out. And I know many here don't like that, but it's the only way to stay relevant. It's a players league now.
I definitely think this is going to be a problem for the program going forward. Everyone keeps saying things like UK has such good resources and tradition that any coach we hire next will succeed, and I really don't think that's true. I think the support the program has around it for future success is a lot worse than people think it is. Those titles in the '50s and '90s do nothing for us today.

Cal got bashed a bit when he said the facilities aren't great here, but he's right. If reporting is to be believed he had about $50 million in commitments from guys in the NBA for renovations and Mitch wanted nothing to do with it. Our basketball NIL seems to be a mess. Doesn't matter if it's Mitch's fault, Cal's or both, it just doesn't seem like it's any good at all right now.

The extent to which this program is "self sustaining" in a sense for the next coach is really overrated in the new college basketball landscape. Things need to get figured out fast and whoever the next coach is really needs to be a home run hire.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Majority of fans have lost interest and you can blame Calipari and Mitch for that. Also, wait until next year when there’s empty seats and then we’ll hear that we’re awful fans. Mitch FCKed up because he had a chance to right the ship!!!! FCK IT… I don’t even wear UK apparel anymore because it’s just embarrassing and I’m tired of making excuses.

The goal of the NIL is $1M. So far they’re at $49k. $10,000 of that came from a single person. There’s only been $650 donated the past week since the Oakland loss. What caught my eye was all the $1 donations with messages to fire Cal. 😂

I can’t imagine this does very well unless some of Cal’s super friends fund the vast majority of the $1M.

FF88906D-AFD4-4205-9D57-756F3D3C6613.jpeg

Brilliant lol.

Considering our shit economy since January of 2021 and how much even average folk are struggling it’s pretty ridiculous and out of
Touch to ask random fans to donate large swaths of money to help guys make hundreds of thousands/ millions of dollars.

There should be a slew of other ways to collect this than crowdfunding from fans and taking advantage of their fandom

I'm not committing money to a team that doesn't commit to winning. What's NIL gonna do? Get us all the top talent? Doesn't do it for me anymore

The reason we keep Cowipeare is because he can recruit. Period.
SO ...... Let him fund the NIL.
For real.
💯

Or

Apparently we pay him so he can recruit. We don't need NIL ..... Lmfao. Yep.

Choose One.

I'm not committing money to a team that doesn't commit to winning. What's NIL gonna do? Get us all the top talent? Doesn't do it for me anymore
If we have a coach that still can’t coach them it really doesn’t matter we’re throwing money out the door. Just like we are for the coach!!!!

Well, be prepared for the fallout of that.

It will be kind of funny to see the bewilderment by some here, when kentucky can't stay relevant going forward on our history alone

Maybe if we can keep paying top dollar for a coach, that will be enough to put together experienced 3 and 4 star teams. But not having NIL will hurt big time.

That could be true but I’m not sure the responsibility of recruiting (including reeling in transfers) along with providing millions of dollars for college basketball guys should fall on the shoulders of Kentucky fans.

Cal got $15 million from former players and friends to fund bball nil. Had to step out early and get it himself.

Also the Reeves nil card deal was misinformation. Antonio was already contracted with another card company when the second offer came in and unable to accept. I think the KSR card guy was just frustrated he lost out.

With all due respect I don’t believe it was misinformation.

That could be true but I’m not sure the responsibility of recruiting (including reeling in transfers) along with providing millions of dollars for college basketball guys should fall on the shoulders of Kentucky fans.

It might not be fair.. but thats probably what's going to be the difference maker. You can only make money on NIL from you're ability to profit on said "NIL". Which means businesses donating to the fund, businesses being apart of autograph signings and other marketing events, and the fan's wallets. Have to figure those out if we want to put together rosters that can contend, IMO. The good news is that the money will always be there for the coach. We've proven we will spend top dollar to get the guys we want. But I'm concerned what sort of business/fan money we can generate going forward.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
I don't like to get into discussions about if I give or don't give to UK. But I will say, money I may or may not give to UK goes to scholarships for Kentucky residents to get an education.

I know I'm out of touch, but I think its absurd to donate to any athletic fund when revenue sharing brings in millions, the players have zero loyalty and look to leave as soon as possible.

NIL is going to quickly reach a breaking point. We see this now - 50% of a coaches job is NIL funding generation.

and you'll see, just like Calipari, coaches retained, not for their ability to coach but their ability to land players due to NIL.

With the transfer portal, its won't even be called recruiting, it will be roster building in a combination of recruiting and transfer portal where a coach will start each season with a bucket of money, like playing some version of fantasy football

Well said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT