ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. Evansville

Harper is a 6'4 freshman right that throws 88 to 92 with a change up and a curveball .

How about that? A first play defensive momentum builder. Aklinski recovering to throw out a runner attempting to take second after nearly making the catch outright.

And we're off... Harper starts off with a strike, but gives up a leadoff single to center as Aklinski can't get to it. Still, Aklinski threw out the runner trying to take second for out number one.

How about that? A first play defensive momentum builder. Aklinski recovering to throw out a runner attempting to take second after nearly making the catch outright.

It's stuff like that which probably helped him win that gold glove award a year ago in JUCO.

Harper gives up another single. He's struggling a bit. This single a line drive through the left side .

Doesn't sound as if Harper is as sharp as our other starters and why should he be? Let's see what he's got competitive wise. Has two runners and two out. How does he do?

Harper gets a strikeout for out number two!

He then gives up a 4 pitch walk. Runners on first and second. 2 outs.

26 pitches for the first inning will limit the innings he can pitch if he can't shrink that number next inning.

I had to hit refresh to get it to show me the bottom of the inning in the play by play.

Sounds like Becker just had bad luck on Aklinski's hit getting hung up between 2nd and 3rd. Seems like their pitcher is starting out pretty shaky. \

Stats are ahead of Gabriel for me, but that is all right. UK gets a double from Becker after Pompey draws a full count walk. Pompey scored on the double down the left field line to give UK a 1-0 lead. Bekcer gets caught on a fielder's choice on an Aklinski hit to short. Collette then draws a walk. Runners on first and second with 1 out.

Cottam grounds into a double play 5-3 to end the threat. UK still gets an early lead in their first at bat 1-0.

Stats are ahead of Gabriel for me, but that is all right. UK gets a double from Becker after Pompey draws a full count walk. Pompey scored on the double down the left field line to give UK a 1-0 lead. Bekcer gets caught on a fielder's choice on an Aklinski hit to short. Collette then draws a walk. Runners on first and second with 1 out.
Are you listening over the air?

Harper gets his third strikeout. He may be settling in now that the jitters have gone away.

Are you listening over the air?

I was listening on my phone over ukathletics.com. I switched to my computer and it has seemingly caught up.

Harper gets his fourth strikeout for out number 2 of the second inning!

15 pitch 2nd inning. Very much settled, getting ahead of of the hitters. Sounds very good for Harper.

Harper! Four in a row!! Still throwing a lot of pitches (42), but glad to see the guy doing well. UK goes to the bottom half up 1-0.

Comebacker to the pitcher from Ryan Johnson is the first UK out of the 2nd. Squires doubles to right center. Wild pitch advances him to third. Heyer then grounds to short which scores Squires and gives UK a 2-0 lead. Dawson works a full count before grounding out to the pitcher to end the inning.

2-0 Kentucky going to the third.

Well, I was hoping to ask Gabriel about Troy Black via twitter, but I couldn't find his twitter. Not sure he answers it like Price used to do.

Harper was killing it with 5 straight strikeouts, but he gives up a deep one to cut the lead 2-1. The home run comes from the leadoff hitter, who is actually a pinch hitter after the starter injured his ankle while being thrown out at second on the first play of the game.

Harper got a ground out to third before giving up a single up the middle. By the way, for those who missed it, Gabriel said that the Purple Aces actually lead the series against Kentucky 10-8.

Harper gives up another long ball, but it goes foul. Harper has got to get the ball down. Harper then hits a batter, but the umpire rules he didn't get out of the way and he is ordered back to the dish. Harper then gets another strikeout to end the inning.

2-1 going to the bottom of the third.

I like that Harper has struggled a bit to keep the ball down, but he's still battling and limiting damage.

Pompey looking good early in the season. Nice to have a guy you feel could potentially carry your offense at times. Not that I think he will have to.

Pompey doubles down the right field line. Becker follows that up with a walk and the Purple Aces are going to the bullpen.

I understand trying to bunt there, but I’d rather swing away knowing you have a guy like Collett on deck.

Well, we got an answer about Black, but it wasn't a whole lot of help.

Aklinski squared to bunt, but couldn't get the bunt down and pops it up for the first out. However, a wild pitch on the next pitch advances the runners regardless.

Well, we got an answer about Black, but it wasn't a whole lot of help.

Aklinski squared to bunt, but couldn't get the bunt down and pops it up for the first out. However, a wild pitch on the next pitch advances the runners regardless.
What did he say?

I understand trying to bunt there, but I’d rather swing away knowing you have a guy like Collett on deck.

At this point in the game and in the season, I think I'd rather play for the big inning.

Collette flies one to left field, and the sun helps Collette to get a double as the ball finds the grass and scores one run. 3-1 Kentucky in the third. Cottam runs the count full before drawing a walk. Bases juiced with 1 out.

What did he say?

Basically said all he knows is that he isn't on the active 35 man roster, but that he is still in school as far as he knows. No answer as to why he isn't on the 35 man roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT