ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky- Georgetown game thread

I noticed a lot of Kentucky's passes were deflected tonight and almost all were straight line as opposed to bounce. Most were also telegraphed. An area that needs work. Hopefully clean that up before playing better competition.

All in all though, a decent outing in the second half. C+ for the game from me.

Reactions: Girthang
This team will be fine. There will be growing pains. They need to get the 7-footers back asap. But, this team will have the talent. GT really good team for NAIA. Not a bad win.

Reactions: Jazzycat
Interesting that Dykes said he expected Ugonna back before Bradshaw. Made some other comment about expecting Bradshaw to be out a while.

DJ and Reed need to be better. Everyone else looked pretty good. Edwards on the glass when the shot wasn't falling. Like to see that.

The two NBA lottery picks, Edwards and Wagner, looked like they need to get back in the gym tonight.

Didn't get to watch tonight.. but if there's two guys I wouldn't mind having slow starts, it's them. Maybe one day we can have an elite prospect have such trouble adapting to the game as a freshman, they come back for their sophomore year.

Would be nice to get a Filipowski once in a while. Maybe we just have to up the NIL money.

Looked like a freshman team tonight. LOTS of dumb mistakes. I like our guys though. Just gotta keep Cal out of this and we will see what we can do.

I wonder what he knows, if anything. That has not been the expectation at all and that was reiterated recently by others. His comments came as a bit of a curveball.
The way uk and Bradshaw have talked they made it sound like he would be back sometime in early to late December, that timeline gets changed every day though which sucks

• Sad
Reactions: catben
Shitty "clone" tbh.
Except for the part where they are similar at getting to the rim, in the lane, etc...

Similar body control. I think Rob's a bit more athletic...both with great pop, allowing them to finish above/at the rim. Rob doesnt quite have the mid0range game Shae has. Smaller than SGA, thinner build, although he's put on some weight.

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
Bad shooting night all around need to shore that up. Too many fouls beyond the arc. Too many blocked shots.

Reactions: catben
I agree. I’m not sure if he’s our best passer or just the only one willing to pass. Our other guards are pure guns. If they’re hot tho, watch out.
--- Shep Just has better basketball IQ. Dilly a GREAT passer. Just doesn't do it enough. Wagner has good vision, be hes more of a combo guard....I dont think he played PG in HS??

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
Gimme a break. He's getting these players because of him? No way.
These guys are getting picked and paid for for him.
Every team pays, scheyer was dukes lead recruiter when was there, scheyer gets players to duke acting like he can’t is being blind to what is going on

Gimme a break. He's getting these players because of him? No way.
These guys are getting picked and paid for for him.
Well, of course they’re getting paid. That’s the way it works for everyone in this new NIL era …including UK. Were you unaware of this?

As for the “picking” part, who do you think is doing that if not the HC?

I heard that as well, that’s a little concerning. We need Bradshaw back more than ugo
I used to believe that, but now I am starting to change my mind. We need muscle and strength and from what is reported Ugo would give us some of that plus rebounding.

I used to believe that, but now I am starting to change my mind. We need muscle and strength and from what is reported Ugo would give us some of that plus rebounding.
I went back and forth, but Bradshaw has a much higher ceiling and can offer more I feel like it

Agreed.

When have we seen the potential of these hyped and talented one-year kids realized WHILE they played for us, instead of once they've left? We've got a huge body of work to look at now, and it's pretty rare to this point. Would love for that to change, but in the system employed previously it doesn't seem likely.

I stayed out of the game thread during the half... but what are some of you thinking?? FFS. You thought an incomplete, young Cal coached team was gonna run Georgetown out of the gym in their first 20 min of basketball?? I mean, it wasn't pretty. But I'm not sure why so many are surprised or melting down. It'll be alright folks. I saw a pretty good squad that just isn't ready yet out of the gate. It'll be ok.

Did UK not have the same players that played in the summer? I know some are hurt, but surely they should be ready to see something bigger than Georgetown basketball by now. ?

Its just not how CBB works, at this level. The speed of the game is just different. And when you factor in these are freshman, seeing this type of speed for the first time---I mean, well you see what happens. GTown has these guys sped up, and it shows.

They'll adjust, adapt to the speed. Kids arent used to dudes being able to close out on them like this...or jump passing lanes so quickly...

Speed is a monster.

EDIT---Do not let "NAIA" fool ya, man. First off the Mid-South is a GREAT baskjtball conference, littered with D1/2 talent; especially in baseball. NAIA is not the NCAA. Rules are diffeent. Its why you see legit D1 talent, playing at the NAIA level, due to...

Grades, admissions, transferring, etc...

there is some legit talent in the NAIA ranks. I worked college baseball game few years back at Cumberland---they had 4 dudes who had originally signed with SEC schools. One with LSU. Filthy.

I'll ask you sort of the same question...

Did UK not have the same players that played in the summer? I know some are hurt, but surely they should be ready to see something faster than Georgetown basketball by now. They've had those games to look back on, AND "top-level" training and development here since. How can they not be ready?

Did you watch that first half? Night and Day right now.
I did watch the first half. Same as Cal has done for last several years, let the guys make bad mistakes, do not run much of anything and the do what they did in the 2nd half. It is exhibition game. I knew he would make me mad. I turned on Poltergeist last night at half and forgot about the game for a bit, then realized by posts (i thought we were still in a very close game and turned it back on to see a 14 point lead). Just sometimes (me included piles on to Cal and I am very tired of Cal at UK) but heck every now and again I just do not want to feel hatred for the guy while we are playing. I just want to get through next week, see if anything improves and get ready for the season. I bet we start the season with small ball and have a rough time with New Mexico state.

Reactions: Girthang

Did UK not have the same players that played in the summer? I know some are hurt, but surely they should be ready to see something faster than Georgetown basketball by now. They've had those games to look back on, AND "top-level" training and development here since. How can they not be ready?
After having time to sleep on it a bit, I think we were all surprised how fast GT was at certain positions. I think we took them a bit for granted and they surprised us a bit when they came out and slapped us cross the face.

Team adjusted and we would've won 30+ if it weren't for the stupid fouls (a couple of which were "Really, ref?" but only a couple.)

I saw less driving into the trees in the second half, or at least desperation drives into the trees.

Shooing was.....ok....lots of selfish ball going on that will need to be cleaned up. But everyone is fighting for roster position, so some of that is to be expected, as they are reportedly very competitive with one another.

As long as we don't see a major repeat of the first half, I'm ok with where we are at.

After having time to sleep on it a bit, I think we were all surprised how fast GT was at certain positions. I think we took them a bit for granted and they surprised us a bit when they came out and slapped us cross the face.

Team adjusted and we would've won 30+ if it weren't for the stupid fouls (a couple of which were "Really, ref?" but only a couple.)

I saw less driving into the trees in the second half, or at least desperation drives into the trees.

Shooing was.....ok....lots of selfish ball going on that will need to be cleaned up. But everyone is fighting for roster position, so some of that is to be expected, as they are reportedly very competitive with one another.

As long as we don't see a major repeat of the first half, I'm ok with where we are at.

I get all that, but can you answer the direct question?

UK did not see this type of game speed in Canada---Not even close. Sure they see it in practice, etc----but practice speed, scrimmage speed just is not the same.

You cant train for "game speed".

A great opener for the Cats, tbh. A team they were gonna beat, but a team that was able to expose some things. Ya gain nothing beating Pikeville 130-48.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT