ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Edwards: 2 points, 2 rebounds, 23 minutes.

I'll reiterate this more and more the longer Edwards continues to be trash.

Fans HAVE to be louder and louder on this. It's something that this fanbase can maybe have an affect on. Heck show up with signs that say "maybe Edwards should come off the bench". These forums, call ins, spread the word.

And honestly, DJ is only slightly behind. I think he's far worse as a PG than we realize yet. This half court game totally exposed DJ.
Be careful. Some people are going to come at you for any criticism of Wagner.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think they certainly did from 2013-2018, when we lost out on Parker, Ingram, Wiggins, Isaacs, Bridges, Oubre, Stanley Johnson, Tatum, Barrett, Reddish, Williamson, Brown, and many others.

It's cyclical recruiting failure for Cal when it comes to the small forward spot. The recent small forwards just didn't have a point of reference because Cal really hadn't landed very many of them lately.

Shit, maybe Cal just doesn't know how to use the SF. Maybe it's just guards and bigs.

This was really his last chance for me. This was a roster that was supposed to be so good he really did need to just manage egos, and motivate. Do the things that he can do well, with a team that already can out talent most other teams.. and Cal can fill in the rest.

I'll reiterate this more and more the longer Edwards continues to be trash.

Fans HAVE to be louder and louder on this. It's something that this fanbase can maybe have an affect on. Heck show up with signs that say "maybe Edwards should come off the bench". These forums, call ins, spread the word.

And honestly, DJ is only slightly behind. I think he's far worse as a PG than we realize yet. This half court game totally exposed DJ.
Fans should call into Cals radio show so he can hear the fans are frustrated with Edwards

Per Aaron from The Cat's Pause, after the game Cal said this on Edwards:

"He has to know this is a team that we have a lot of players ... the easiest thing to do is defense, rebound, go block a shot."

But he'll never sit him, even though he gives UK absolutely nothing productive. If Adou ever comes back (and I'm starting to doubt that), he should start in that spot, and Reed and Rob can still provide the spark of the bench.

But we are shooting ourselves in the foot the first 4 minutes of every game.

Shit, maybe Cal just doesn't know how to use the SF. Maybe it's just guards and bigs.

This was really his last chance for me. This was a roster that was supposed to be so good he really did need to just manage egos, and motivate. Do the things that he can do well, with a team that already can out talent most other teams.. and Cal can fill in the rest.
Man, you and I disagreed a few times over the recent years because I think I just lost hope a bit sooner than you did. We used to both defend Calipari years ago. I think the only difference was that you were a bit more patient than I was.

Reactions: mailman85
It is about paying a debt.
Bingo.

I'm sure he's a great kid, and will, in a year or so, be playing in the league and blossom right before our eyes.

While he's here at UK? Mediocrity, mainly because he's not ready to start , and would benefit both him and the team if he came off the bench.

Bingo.

I'm sure he's a great kid, and will, in a year or so, be playing in the league and blossom right before our eyes.

While he's here at UK? Mediocrity, mainly because he's not ready to start , and would benefit both him and the team if he came off the bench.
I don’t think so. His lack of strength, toughness, athleticism, handles, verticality is too much to overcome. He’ll be eaten alive in the G League and head overseas.

Wonder if the mock dress will move him completely out this week.

I mean, you really can’t point to a single thing he does well or even to any potential. And he is 20 years old.
I mean he does play like a girl but this post is uncalled for lol.

• Haha
It is ridiculous he played him that much tonight. Idk why he’s scared to send him to the bench.
No one knows. And apparently no one in the media is willing to ask. I’m not on Twitter/X, but maybe that’s a place to start.

“Hey Cal. Justin Edwards is falling completely off of draft boards. He’s being exposed more and more with each game. Starting him and playing him 20mpg isn’t helping him. Why do you continue to do it?”

Notable stat lines for JE:

KU - 29 minutes, 0/6, 1 point
MIZZ - 20 minutes, 2/7, 4 points
MSST - 16 minutes, 1/3, 2 points
SC - 23 minutes, 0/1, 2 points

So, if you are someone who is into looking at the bright side, this was not his worst game 🤣

Justin Edwards is this season's B.J. Boston.
The big differenc is that we don’t need to play Edwards, even a single minute. BJ Boston, to some degree, had to play. This team would be perfectly fine if Edwards were glued to the bench all 40 minutes. The team would arguably be better if all of his minutes were swallowed up by others.

Last edited:
The big differences that we don’t need to play Edwards, even a single minute. PJ, Boston, to some degree, had to play. This team would be perfectly fine if Edwards were glued to the bench all 40 minutes. The team would arguably be better if all of his minutes were swallowed up by others.
You are absolutely correct!!!! I agree with you that Edwards doesn't need to play at all. He might be a good kid, but as a basketball player, at this point, he is of no value to this team at all. That may be a harsh statement, but it's the truth. It's now become obvious that Cal is playing him, NOT because of his ability, but because, as someone else said, he's paying a debt.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

You are absolutely correct!!!! I agree with you that Edwards doesn't need to play at all. He might be a good kid, but as a basketball player, at this point, he is of no value to this team at all. That may be a harsh statement, but it's the truth. It's now become obvious that Cal is playing him, NOT because of his ability, but because, as someone else said, he's paying a debt.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙
This is the Head Coach at UK doing this. Just amazing thst he keeps starting. Cal cares zero about titles or rings.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙
It’s hard to believe that a coach making 9 million dollars a year and who seemingly wants to win basketball games and titles would continue to start and give major minutes to players who can’t help him do that. But here we are. And it’s happened again and again. Really frustrating time to be a fan.

If Edwards ever did start playing well, CCC would take him out, like every other player that gets hot.
Like RD tonight, playing well? O' know you don't....have a seat!
Don't understand why CCC does this....

If Edwards ever did start playing well, CCC would take him out, like every other player that gets hot.
Like RD tonight, playing well? O' know you don't....have a seat!
Do you suppose he just can’t let Dilly outshine Wagner? I just don’t understand. The NBA scouts have spoken and Dilly is going lottery and DJ will be lucky to stay in the first round. Someone let Cal know! Ride the dude who played his way into being a lottery pick, not the guy who played his way from the lottery to the second round!

Last edited:
We'll probably never know CCC true motive. For a guy that's been coaching as long as he has, he shouldn't be this bad. A HOF coach, and look at his coaching tree....lol. I don't even get upset after a loss or a beat down like tonight, anymore. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until he decides to step down before I put any faith in UK basketball again. The man has ruined UK basketball. Sure we'll have some good wins here and there. I'm afraid the consistent proud winning tradition that used to be Kentucky basketball....those days are long gone.

We've been snakebit with the last few "elite" small forwards. Edwards, Whitney, Boston, Livingston.

It's really bizarre at this point. I thought Edwards would be really good. I think we all did. It's absolutely mind boggling how far he's plummeted in terms of draft stock.
No, those of us paying attention to scouting reports and not rankings knew what was up.

It’s hard to believe that a coach making 9 million dollars a year and who seemingly wants to win basketball games and titles would continue to start and give major minutes to players who can’t help him do that. But here we are. And it’s happened again and again. Really frustrating time to be a fan.
Honest question. Other than when Cal first came here and gave that speech about wanting to catch UCLA in titles, has he EVER once again stated that he wantd to win titles AFTER he gave the speech about Draft Night being the best night for UK?

Edwards will become a good player when he gets to the NBA after he does not have to listen to Cal anymore.

Nope, but I’ll boo the shit out of the man making a mockery of this program, and squandering the 3rd most talented roster we’ve had in my 40 years on planet earth.
Just make sure you do it when Edwards isn't checking into the game or it might get misconstrued that you are booing the player and not the coach.

• Haha
I think they certainly did from 2013-2018, when we lost out on Parker, Ingram, Wiggins, Isaacs, Bridges, Oubre, Stanley Johnson, Tatum, Barrett, Reddish, Williamson, Brown, and many others.

It's cyclical recruiting failure for Cal when it comes to the small forward spot. The recent small forwards just didn't have a point of reference because Cal really hadn't landed very many of them lately.
Don't forget Xavier Henry in 2010. We might have raised the trophy.

Be careful. Some people are going to come at you for any criticism of Wagner.
Wagner misses at least one layup every game.

Wagner telegraphs when he's going to drive, and it's always to his left.

Wagner dribbles the shot clock into oblivion and then passes to Sheppard or Mitchell, who is now forced to take a bad shot.

Wagner fumbles the ball to the other team just dribbling, at least once EVERY GAME.

Wagner still is a terrible shooter.

These are facts, and are beyond dispute.

Wagner misses at least one layup every game.

Wagner telegraphs when he's going to drive, and it's always to his left.

Wagner dribbles the shot clock into oblivion and then passes to Sheppard or Mitchell, who is now forced to take a bad shot.

Wagner fumbles the ball to the other team just dribbling, at least once EVERY GAME.

Wagner still is a terrible shooter.

These are facts, and are beyond dispute.
Oh. I agree. He also had three assists, and two of them should’ve been SC steals. He telegraphed the crap out of them and was lucky they both got through.

Klutch will make sure he gets drafted in the late second round, just like Livingston, but it's been hard to watch. I feel bad for the kid. Calipari keeps putting him out there as his choice for the spelling bee, and the kid keeps spelling the same words wrong.

It's becoming embarrassing and I kind of pity the kid at this point.
I admit I wasnt a huge Livingston fan either, but at least with him you could see improvements as the season went on. With Edwards, I see ZERO improvement. I cant even see Klutch getting him drafted at this point.

It isn't mental. The kid has no skills. When he has the ball during a fast break, I am yelling at the tv for him to pass because rarely does anything good comes from him driving the ball. I don't believe he could start at WKU if he had to earn it.
I don’t follow these guys in high school the way a lot of you all do. So I have been really surprised at his lack of shooting ability. I was under the impression that was a strength for him. Unfortunately, that shot isn’t getting fixed in season. That will only get fixed, if it does at all, with hundreds of hours in the gym during the off season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT