ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Jackson #1 in New Rivals 2016 Player Rankings

Him or Giles. Don't care how pretty Jayson Tatum's mid-range game might look when he's actually hitting jumpshots (which is not all of the time), it's not worth as much as the freakish athleticism that Jackson and Giles have.

He's like a Wiggins / Jalen Brown mix. Definitely deserving of #1.

I don't think we're in the mix for him though.

You want to know whats nuts? We haven't even played a game this season yet and we talking next year LOL love it.

Him or Giles. Don't care how pretty Jayson Tatum's mid-range game might look when he's actually hitting jumpshots (which is not all of the time), it's not worth as much as the freakish athleticism that Jackson and Giles have.

Ugh...midrange game. Get to the rim and/or make three's, please. We put up enough bricks from midrange in recent seasons to build a small suburban home.

Ugh...midrange game. Get to the rim and/or make three's, please. We put up enough bricks from midrange in recent seasons to build a small suburban home.

"Ugh... mid-range game?" Hahahaha... jesus dude. Yeah, I hate watching fundamentally sound basketball players hit mid-range shots.

I hate it when a guy pulls up for an easy mid-range bank shot instead of barreling all the way to the rim and getting a charge called on him. I'm honestly fascinated by your disdain for the mid-range game. Seems to me you'd simply want to get better mid-range shooters as opposed to literally never shoot mid-range shots.

There is nothing wrong with mid-range shots, and the fact that they're becoming less prevalent is a bad thing for basketball, it's not a good thing. Why don't you gain a little perspective. Just because y'all have had shitty mid-range shooters doesn't mean that the mid-range shot in itself is a bad one.

"Ugh... mid-range game?" Hahahaha... jesus dude. Yeah, I hate watching fundamentally sound basketball players hit mid-range shots.

I hate it when a guy pulls up for an easy mid-range bank shot instead of barreling all the way to the rim and getting a charge called on him. I'm honestly fascinated by your disdain for the mid-range game. Seems to me you'd simply want to get better mid-range shooters as opposed to literally never shoot mid-range shots.

There is nothing wrong with mid-range shots, and the fact that they're becoming less prevalent is a bad thing for basketball, it's not a good thing. Why don't you gain a little perspective. Just because y'all have had shitty mid-range shooters doesn't mean that the mid-range shot in itself is a bad one.

Jesus, did his post strike a nerve? Calm down big fella.

I too like seeing players make midrange shots. The problem is that only the elite midrange shooters in the NBA, like the 2 or 3 best, even manage to shoot 50% from that range. It's a shot a team settles for when it can't get a more efficient shot at the rim, from three, or at the line.

Reactions: UK till Death
Jackson culd be one of those kids that does some random shiiat and plays for Auburn because of the UA affiliation. That or plays overseas...

The reason it's becoming less prevalent is because you're completely wrong.

And save us your lamenting the downfall of fundamentals. Being able to drive to the rim, shooting the three, making an extra pass or two for an open three--those are all fundamental too, and having the basketball IQ to realize they're all far better options is also fundamental.

This isn't a hill you want to die on.

Reactions: jarms24
Where did you get those number from?

This site says he was at 53.6% which is good considering it was a lot of jumpers.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trey-lyles-1.html

Here is my source for 2 pt jumper FG%.

http://hoop-math.com/Kentucky2015.php

You will see that none of our players were efficient shooting the 2 pt jumper. Even though we weren't a great three point shooting team, taking less threes in favor of long 2's probably cost us a few points this season.

There are a lot of players that are good around the rim.

There are some players that can shoot from deep.

There are a few that can shoot the mid-range shot.

Players that can do two out of three are hard to find.

A player that can do all three these days are becoming extremely rare.

Most players are missing the mid-range part of the game. They want the thundering dunk or the three.

The mid-range game is becoming a lost art.

I've been looking through the 16 class trying to figure out who I hope we get. Who are the best shooters in the class? We need one of the best shooters to go along with Monk or Simmons and whoever else. Cal needs to go hard after Giles and Jackson.

Dave said in another thread that Kansas could very well land him.

I know..[sick]

I've been looking through the 16 class trying to figure out who I hope we get. Who are the best shooters in the class? We need one of the best shooters to go along with Monk or Simmons and whoever else. Cal needs to go hard after Giles and Jackson.
Monk is a pretty good shooter.

The reason it's becoming less prevalent is because you're completely wrong.

And save us your lamenting the downfall of fundamentals. Being able to drive to the rim, shooting the three, making an extra pass or two for an open three--those are all fundamental too, and having the basketball IQ to realize they're all far better options is also fundamental.

This isn't a hill you want to die on.
I agree partially.....I agree with you that layups and 3's are more efficient and preferable. However It adds a whole new dimension to a player when he can consistently hit midrange shots too. Even if it shouldn't be as prevelant. It gives the defense another something to worry about and stretches them out a bit.

I agree partially.....I agree with you that layups and 3's are more efficient and preferable. However It adds a whole new dimension to a player when he can consistently hit midrange shots too. Even if it shouldn't be as prevelant. It gives the defense another something to worry about and stretches them out a bit.

Agreed.

There should be no argument. A player that can score from anywhere is better than one that can only shoot a three or only score on layups or one that can only hit the mid-range shot.

You want to have the whole repertoire.

Reactions: Uk1111
I wonder if Jackson's career in Kansas will be as underwhelming as Wiggin's.

Maybe Jackson will develop that ability to disappear in big games too.

And 4 pts in their loss in the round of 32.

Jonathan Isaac can shoot the ball really well. You'll also have Mulder as a Sr and shooter and no reason to see why he won't continue to be a good shooter. He'll surprise as an overall player--not saying he's a 1st Round pick, but he'll be a much better pickup then some are saying. Nice 2 year addition.

Not all mid-range shots are created equal.

For instance, if the ball swings around to a 3 point shooter who pump fakes on a challenged shot, then takes a dribble inside the line for a shot, the offense may create a rebounding numbers advantage.

So even though that shot may only score .8 points on average, if there is a .4 chance of rebounding the miss and getting another shot that is worth, say, .9 points on average, then the expected points per possession would be 1.16. Which would be pretty good.

Yeah, Wiggins was terrible...17/6 as a freshman and #1 draft pick.

Oh what ever man. Wiggins was suppose to the best since Lebron. He looked like a flake flake in his one season in at KU. So what if got ROY, he was suppose to. But he looked mediocre at KU for his reputation.

I wonder if Jackson's career in Kansas will be as underwhelming as Wiggin's.

Maybe Jackson will develop that ability to disappear in big games too.

You mean... Underwhelming like being the #1 draft pick and going on to win rookie of the year?

SMH

Oh what ever man. Wiggins was suppose to the best since Lebron. He looked like a flake flake in his one season in at KU. So what if got ROY, he was suppose to. But he looked mediocre at KU for his reputation.

Fail. Fail.Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail.

Wiggins is the best player Kansas has put in the league since Paul Pierce. He will probably be the last, at least near his talent level for another 5 to 10 years..

Giles is the best player in the class, who ever gets him is a final 4 team.
Umm, Wiggins and Kansas final four? No, one college bball player does not a final four make. Us with John Walls? Brandardo Knight? Karly Anphonix Towncar? Larry and Jerry Harrison (yes, that's two players)? Oh, nevermind as some of those players did go to the final four. And what about Anferny Davidson and Mikey Crest Kiddo- what did they ever do?

Fail. Fail.Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail.

Huh? Not sure you remember the hype that Wiggins had coming out of high school. He sucked balls for KU. Face it. He was no Alpha at KU. And I don't care how much you talk about his NBA progress as a rookie (best thing was getting away from Bill Self). He did not dominate college basketball the way the Lebron hype was given. Period.

Not sure why you are hanging on Wiggins ball sack under KU. He sucked. Sorry if that hurt your feelings.

Reactions: Pope John Wall II
ADVERTISEMENT