ADVERTISEMENT

James Young Not a Bust . . .

Orton and his dad were pretty pitiful. He probably served his role ok, but he was a cancer and the only player Cal had refused to invite back until recently. Kind of speaks for itself.

Skal is a top recruit bust. A total bust. I would think those would be the first kind we don't want.

Goodwin was probably told to take over in anyway he could.

Eh....... Kinda disagree here.

I actually agree with the take on Archie. I didn't see him as a selfish player at all. Once Noel got hurt he was the only player on the team left with a spine. I think Willie tried but he was still learning the game.

Alex, Wiltjer, Harrow all pretty much mailed it in from then on. Mays was just in over his head.

Goodwin played his butt off always and made big plays to help us win two games we absolutely had to have after Noel went down. Unfortunately that wasn't enough because we just weren't good enough overcome our typical SEC road treatment in the games against Arkansas and Tennessee after that(the stuff other teams get away with against our players in their gyms is absurd)

Here's the thingsI disliked about Young and Harrow. Their attitude at times were not good. I never got the idea they fully bought into the team concept or the brothers keeper Cal talks about. They also seemed to at times during the season, even late, to not listen to Cal and just do their own thing.

They both arrived with the idea they were one and done before they ever put on a UK uniform. Of course, I know there were plenty of others to think the same way but both were never slam dunk one and done prospects when they arrived and both seemed to ride the coat tails of Cal's success of getting players to the pros. Defense was an afterthought. Neither have really returned to campus it want to be a part of BBN once they were gone.

Even with all that said they are Wildcats and I hope they both succeed but I'm not fond of those two.

Here's the thingsI disliked about Young and Harrow. Their attitude at times were not good. I never got the idea they fully bought into the team concept or the brothers keeper Cal talks about. They also seemed to at times during the season, even late, to not listen to Cal and just do their own thing.

They both arrived with the idea they were one and done before they ever put on a UK uniform. Of course, I know there were plenty of others to think the same way but both were never slam dunk one and done prospects when they arrived and both seemed to ride the coat tails of Cal's success of getting players to the pros. Defense was an afterthought. Neither have really returned to campus it want to be a part of BBN once they were gone.

Even with all that said they are Wildcats and I hope they both succeed but I'm not fond of those two.
Nice post. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Reactions: kats23
James Young is useless when he isn't making threes, and even then he's still pretty bad. The Celtics and Brad Stevens are smart people, I was shocked when they drafted him. People keep calling him athletic too, it's like they don't even watch games. He's slow and plodding, he had a couple of nice dunks because he has long arms. My least favorite player of the Cal era.
but the James Young sleeping thread was epic

more than Ryan Harrow? More than Archie Goodwin? That's strange.
While Goodwin was certainly frustrating, he played very hard and was being forced into a role he shouldn't have because we didn't have a PG. He was a better player than Young (hence why he's a rotation NBA player) and would have shined under better circumstances. Young made some big shots but other than that, was atrocious defensively and an even worse passer. Of course I don't hate him, I appreciate his time here, but someone has to be at the bottom of anyone's list, and for me it's Young.

Harrow I don't even think about, he barely played. Might as well ask me about Stacey Poole.

He's a young guy with a high school education who has made millions before 20. Cal does what he can to teach these kids character and perspective. It's ultimately up to them to make the right choices and not squander their fortune.

At the end of the day, Young is much better off than a kid like Wayne Blackshear, who peaked early, made nothing, and now is going to have to try to make a living off his crappy UL business or sociology degree for the next 40 years of his life.

And after 40 years, he just might finally catch up to what Young made in the first year of his contract.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Eh... I never really hated Orton. He served his role on a very good team. Was a team player.

Skal... he at least was a team player and showed flashes of being very good.

Harrow and Goodwin... well... Harrow just wasn't good and Goodwin is the type of player I'd never wanna play with. Worried about getting his and that's about it.
Im not 100% sure Archie was just worried about getting his, it may have been that all his life getting his was the way his team won. I'm also not 100% sure he wasn't just worried about his...with that team make-up we will never be positive either way.

Wasnt my favorite to watch; of that I am positive.

I hope he has invested his money wisely. If he has, then he should be okay, If has blown through his money like a tornado looking for a trailer then, he may in trouble in the years to come. Oh well, at least he adds to the number of first round draft picks that Cal has had since at UK and that matters to some.

Look up "Schea Cotton", and maybe you can appreciate how fleeting this opportunity can be for kids who physically peak early, or who struggle academically, and how the NCAA's self-serving rules can sometimes destroy these kid's lives and dreams.

It's pretty heart-breaking. It will make you appreciate why Cal is always pushing the buttons of this organization, as well as the fact that he is ahead of almost all of his peers in recognizing the hypocrisy at work here.

Player's first.

Yeah it was a horrible mistake. Probably got 10 mil contract. Whose to say he would have done any better staying. How did it work out for Poythress
You are addressing a person who would rather "dawn" ([laughing]) the UK jersey than be a millionaire. You might as well be talking to a vegetable.

Like they always say, getting to the league and staying in the league are two different things and you play for the second contract; not the first.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT