ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Murray update (no reclassify, yet)

Thanks for the link. I'm glad to hear he will be doing some more visits--hopefully (surely) one of them will be to UK.

Have to like this.
Kentucky and Oregon are among the schools working hard to land Murray, with UConn the latest school to offer.

“We’re taking a couple visits, I’m not sure the date yet or exactly how we’re going to do it but we’ll be taking some visits for sure,” Roger said.

I was wondering if there's anything new on him. It looks like there probably won't be for at least another few weeks.

We already have 2 world class point guards on the team,how are we really in the mix with that being the case?

Is there no deadline or anything to when he has to decide? Or will everyone just assume if he says nothing he isnt reclassifying?

He's 6'6" and he's a major scorer. He could really play the 1, 2, or 3. Maybe Cal is trying to sell him on playing wing. Briscoe is a natural 2 anyway.
Idk about Briscoe being a natural 2. He's a darn good point guard and can play the 2, but calling him a natural 2 is stretching it.

Idk about Briscoe being a natural 2. He's a darn good point guard and can play the 2, but calling him a natural 2 is stretching it.
I guess "natural 2" was a bad choice of words. He was "originally a 2" before becoming a point guard would have been more accurate. That's what I had heard anyway.

“You want to play and to get better with other players and obviously get time to play,” Roger said....“He wants to win. It’s a balance, either you can go and try to be the man or be a part of a group that’s going to have a goal in mind.”

Based on what we've learned this spring about the preferences of the typical high level recruit, those quotes don't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Here's what we now know with certainty: minutes matter. Cal's recruiting pitch has always (at UK) been about sacrifice - it won't hurt your professional ambitions to sacrifice yourself in favor of the team, to be part of something bigger than yourself. Getting Bledsoe and Wall both to come in the same class, getting AD and MKG happy with taking the 4th and 5th most shots on the team, all that. So kids are willing to sacrifice stats, they are willing to "not be the man". But they want to play, they have to be on the court. Long term, I don't think this will be an issue - the platoon thing was a one time thing because we went 10 deep and had several kids unexpectedly return to school. But it will pop up every once in a while - like here, where you already have 2 point guards and you're trying to convince another highly rated PG to come.....

I think we are looking at the next step in the evolution of OAD,Cal was on the cutting edge for a long time,he may be playing catch-up right now

Last edited:
Only way I think we could get him now is if he's ok with playing the 3. Our backcourt is pretty full as is (Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder, Matthews, and Hawkins). I think he would probably start, but 6 guards is a bit much. If I had to guess, I'd say he stays with the school that's been on him the longest (Oregon).

Only way I think we could get him now is if he's ok with playing the 3. Our backcourt is pretty full as is (Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder, Matthews, and Hawkins). I think he would probably start, but 6 guards is a bit much. If I had to guess, I'd say he stays with the school that's been on him the longest (Oregon).

3 of those 5 are irrelevant to Murray as he is vastly superior to them. He would start along with Ulis and Briscoe in a dominant 3 guard line up.

Sorry but if it came down to it, Murray would start over Ulis and Briscoe. He's that good.

I said he would start. That's not my point. When you come onto a team with a lot of guards, even if you think you are going to start, it has to be in your mind that there are all these other guards. First of all, that means the team is probably light on frontcourt players. Maybe he wouldn't want to play in a 3 guard lineup. Or maybe he thinks it's an unbalanced team. Maybe the last month has just got be pessimistic about our chances with him. But, I would love for him to come of course.

Wonder if Duke is still interested in him, with stud guard Thornton and Dennis Smith coming in 2016.

Latest word on Dennis Smith is the Team Loaded/Adidas issue is going to be a huge road block for a lot of schools. Don't be surprised to hear nc state and Louisville are the teams to beat for Smith in the near future. Most of the big Nike schools are already hedging their bets by pursuing other 2016 point guards.

I can't see Murray coming in here to 'share' minutes with 2 solid guards. Call me crazy, but the hardest part is to get kids to be convinced less minutes is as good as all the minutes.

Briscoe reminds me right now of the next Bledsoe. He does plenty for us at either position and nothing wrong with 2 terrific ball handlers.

If we get a 3rd, then that's found money!

Why is everybody caught up on the Murray wouldn't want to split time with Ulis and Briscoe? I would doubt he would. He will most likely play beside them, at a third guard position where he would play 30 minutes, be a primary scorer, have his skills on display for all to see, and use the Kentucky Effect to get drafted in the top 10 next year. Not sure any of his other options would do that for him. He might go first round regardless, but being a focus at UK could get him in the top 5-10 picks next year.

Why is everybody caught up on the Murray wouldn't want to split time with Ulis and Briscoe? I would doubt he would. He will most likely play beside them, at a third guard position where he would play 30 minutes, be a primary scorer, have his skills on display for all to see, and use the Kentucky Effect to get drafted in the top 10 next year. Not sure any of his other options would do that for him. He might go first round regardless, but being a focus at UK could get him in the top 5-10 picks next year.

Exactly. He would not be splitting minutes. He would get 30 a game at a starting guard spot, with some time at the 1/2 withen Ulis and/or Briscoe are out. Ulis, Briscoe and Murray would all start and play around 30 per game while Matthews and Mulder pick up the 30 minutes of bench time at the 3 guard positions.

I'm not sure why some people do not get simple math. 5 positions with 200 total minutes. We have Skal and Poy and Lee at the 4 and 5, so look for Skal and Poy to play about 30 each with Lee having the potential to get 15-20 there, maybe Willis gets 5-7. Who knows.

I can't see Murray coming in here to 'share' minutes with 2 solid guards. Call me crazy, but the hardest part is to get kids to be convinced less minutes is as good as all the minutes.

Briscoe reminds me right now of the next Bledsoe. He does plenty for us at either position and nothing wrong with 2 terrific ball handlers.

If we get a 3rd, then that's found money!

Murray could come to UK and play 30 minutes/game at the wing positions. He'd start at the three and be inserted at the 1/2 anytime Ulis or Briscoe go to the bench.

Cal could sell him on leading UK as a scorer. That's what he is anyway.

How exactly? Care to explain your thinking?
Well,thinking in terms of this class they seemed to be all over the map in their thought process in choosing a school.Newman wanted to be a point guard,Brown appeared to be influenced by shoe companies,Maker and Murray can't decide what (if any) class they want to be in.

It seems that some of these kids are looking at college as little more than a necessary evil before getting to the league and making certain "business"decisions before they set foot on a college campus.

Choosing a school or situation that is likely to best prepare you for the next step seems to be a secondary consideration,almost like you have taken the next step by just getting out of high school

In some cases it seems that these kids are viewing college as an extention of AAU ball,it could become the norm rather than the exception.

I liked the quote by Murray saying that he wasn't going somewhere to be the man. He wants to go somewhere and win a title and do it as a team. Think that bodes well for Kentucky.

I think we are looking at the next step in the evolution of OAD,Cal was on the cutting edge for a long time,he may be playing catch-up right now

Doc I've been reading your threads for awhile and for the most part I like them. Cal and UK are fine. Not many teams will be able to put 5 Burger Boys on the floor like we can. We missed on several late we would have liked to have had a couple more. Timing was off after the tournament. 16 has a lot of kids and we will have a few major targets I think UK connects with. The beat goes on!

Last edited:
Murray would be our leading scorer, he wouldn't be sharing anything. The only issue IMO is if he doesnt want to guard 3s, but there aren't that many true threes in college, and Cal should be able to sell him on that being good prep for the League anyway.

Murray is one player I would love to see us get, but my gut feeling is we don't land him. He may not even play college ball. He is a player though that would thrive anywhere he goes.

I found a lot of things that could be pro UK in this article. This quote really stuck out:

“He wants to win. It’s a balance, either you can go and try to be the man or be a part of a group that’s going to have a goal in mind.”

Hopefully this means he is leaning towards a more perennial power. Murray's dad also made it sound like talks have cooled off with Oregon. Oregon is pursuing transfer Dylan Ennis so maybe we get a push even with having two PG's on the roster. Gotta get him on board to play the 2 though.

Doc I've been reading your threads for awhile and for the most part I like them. Cal and UK are fine. Not many teams will be able to put 5 Burger Boys on the floor like we can. We missed on several late we would have liked to have had a couple more. Timing was off after the tournament. 16 has a lot of kids and we will have a few major targets I think UK connects with. The beat goes on!

Thanks for the kind words,I didn't intend to imply that we would't be fine only that the process may be evolving.Kids may begin to look at things differently or they may not

Certain programs,I think,do a better job of preparing kids for the NBA in a years time,this includes playing skills,competition levels and dealing with the media.It seems this year several were more inclined to go the do it on their own route to some extent

Use of the 3 point line changed college basketball beginning in the late 80's,OAD changed it again a few years ago,it only stands to reason that it will be changed again once the kids and their people have time to think about the process.

If and when the nbapa vote in favor of 2ad, Cal will already have experience in how to handle it. The ncaa might be pushing for it on their end as well. Would love to get Murray.GBB

He's not coming, atleast in 2015 in my opinion. If he was, he'd already have done it. We're all in with him. He's going to Oregon 2016 IMO.

He's not coming, atleast in 2015 in my opinion. If he was, he'd already have done it. We're all in with him. He's going to Oregon 2016 IMO.
How do you know? Apparently Cal spent all his time visiting him in Canada, so he must think we have a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT