ADVERTISEMENT

Its amazing what a well coached team looks like...

Multiple on and off ball screens and cuts..
Anticipation on defense...
Role players knowing their role and executing...

Fundamental Basketball with a cohesive unit.

I miss that
I'll bet you 20 bucks that Hurley can't get 6 first round draft picks though. I guess back to back championships will be an okay consolation prize for his guys missing out on draft night.

We used to watch it all the time. Even with Cal. Times have just changed here and it's just sad.

Every UK coach minus BCG and Sutton have had some damn fantastic moments. Cal's just aren't coming back though and it's time to move on.
Sutton's first team remains one of my top 10 favorites...loved that team.
F-ing Ricky Blanton

He never said he didn't want to win titles or that getting kids to the NBA is more important than titles.
“Last year we started the season with a goal,” he said, via Kentucky Sports Radio. “You may think that goal was to win the national title and win all the games and be… It was to get eight players drafted.”

Straight from the horses (ass) mouth. If your main goal is to get players drafted then by definition that is more important than winning titles. Cals players are getting drafted with or without him, same as 55-58 other players every single year.

The real shame is that cal doesn’t put in half the effort in coaching his teams as he does in trying to prepare the ones he feels will move on. Even then he has his pets like DJ and Justin who he coddled all year long as they quickly fell in the mocks behind Reed and Dilly. I feel he would have done the same with Aaron if not for his injury. If Cals main priorities were winning he would play his best players and game plan around them but caring about winning and prioritizing winning are two entirely different things. Cal certainly does not prioritize winning which should be tops on his list. Everything else falls into place.

“Last year we started the season with a goal,” he said, via Kentucky Sports Radio. “You may think that goal was to win the national title and win all the games and be… It was to get eight players drafted.”

Straight from the horses (ass) mouth. If your main goal is to get players drafted then by definition that is more important than winning titles. Cals players are getting drafted with or without him, same as 55-58 other players every single year.

The real shame is that cal doesn’t put in half the effort in coaching his teams as he does in trying to prepare the ones he feels will move on. Even then he has his pets like DJ and Justin who he coddled all year long as they quickly fell in the mocks behind Reed and Dilly. I feel he would have done the same with Aaron if not for his injury. If Cals main priorities were winning he would play his best players and game plan around them but caring about winning and prioritizing winning are two entirely different things. Cal certainly does not prioritize winning which should be tops on his list. Everything else falls into place.
Winning and coaching up players is hard work....much easier to recruit future nba players and watch them fail and bail at college ball while bragging about their nba accomplishments

The thing is is nobody is against getting guys drafted. However, someone that put up six points and four rebounds really shouldn't be leaving. It's maddening what they do.

Team with a bunch of “goofy white guys” going to win the title.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Are some of you not capable of having a conversation on here without showing how silly you are? Do you honestly think that is a cool comment and it's gonna come across clever? Everyone knows the situation our program is in but some on here , like yourself, think you are gonna get a high five somehow. Grow up
If the constant reminders of how horrible the coaching staff is and how far the program has fallen bother you, don't read the thread, pretty fundamental. Guess you have the lack of fundamentals as the basketball team

Last edited:
Are some of you not capable of having a conversation on here without showing how silly you are? Do you honestly think that is a cool comment and it's gonna come across clever? Everyone knows the situation our program is in but some on here , like yourself, think you are gonna get a high five somehow. Grow up
I’ve laughed several times already. But I’m also a simple man.

I miss that
It’s almost like the goal was to win the basketball game, instead of worrying about hurting feelings, burning bridges with “handlers “ , and helping players draft projections .

Last edited:
I get what you’re saying but , when forced to eat a shit sandwich some people will not say a word, some people will resist and complain, and some people will claim it’s the best shit sandwich ever and love the chef . Different strokes for different folks .

What’s sad….is not only is NBA success prioritized over UK winning games. But our Coach’s think the freshmen are incapable of running many set plays, numerous different defenses, & implementing a scouting report. The sheer amount of basic basketball stuff they think freshmen are incapable of mastering and implementing is staggering while still building teams year after year with freshmen cores. It’s a nasty Groundhog Day every year.

Reactions: bnewt and seccats04
The defense is what is impressive. Every shot is contested.
I go back and forth thinking their defense is incredible and their offense is incredible. Locked Bama down in the second half, and then go down the other end and get an easy dunk rolling to the basket, open three off a series of screens, fouled on a drive, etc. Just an amazingly effective team on both ends. And really not a single particularly flashy guy out there. Maybe Newton off the bench.

Winning and coaching up players is hard work....much easier to recruit future nba players and watch them fail and bail at college ball while bragging about their nba accomplishments
Yes. It’s a lazy way of running your program. Just make a few silly promises to these hot dog freshmen and their handlers and then just roll the ball out.

Team with a bunch of “goofy white guys” going to win the title.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Actually reminded me of our 92 team in the sense of just being solid fundamentally sound basketball players.

Reactions: ck-2
Actually reminded me of our 92 team in the sense of just being solid fundamentally sound basketball players.
I agree!! My reference was to the game day threads. Where it seems every time the opponent has a white player who is killing us someone or multiple posters refer to them with a comment like “ we are going to let this goofy white kid beat us!’

Reactions: cats2010
I agree!! My reference was to the game day threads. Where it seems every time the opponent has a white player who is killing us someone or multiple posters refer to them with a comment like “ we are going to let this goofy white kid beat us!’
We had pelphrey, feldhaus, and farmer who would all 3 fit that criteria and I loved watching all 3. Not sure that team will ever be replaced as my personal favorite.

We had pelphrey, feldhaus, and farmer who would all 3 fit that criteria and I loved watching all 3. Not sure that team will ever be replaced as my personal favorite.
That team was like having multiple Reed Sheppards on it because they were playing for the name on the front of the jersey. Hawkins is another player that fit that mold to me.

Reactions: cats2010
It was frustrating watching UCONN. They are everything Kentucky isn’t at this point. Everything they do is geared toward winning.
... Draft Night Baby!! Winning these stupid college games is meaningless. Focus on Cal's "higher mission" and kiss your Program and Tradition good-bye. Everything Cal does is focused on these.

I miss that
Most coaches have the feel of who should be on floor all the time instead of worrying about playing time. The better teams can play defense also. The better teams play hard all the time. The better teams are short on turnovers and more on assists. Most teams, whether they are good or not, start their best players. The better teams don't seemed to be micro managed all the time.

I miss that
Is there only one because the rest lost?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT