ADVERTISEMENT

Isn't it nice to have a coach who COMMUNICATES?

NociHTTP

Senior
Mar 8, 2023
Mark is not only a pleasure to listen to, but I imagine that he and his staff will do very well in communicating the "assignment", and fostering their love for UK, and getting all these kids on the same page. Oh, to be a fly on the wall as he's teaching sets!

Mark is not only a pleasure to listen to, but I imagine that he and his staff will do very well in communicating the "assignment", and fostering their love for UK, and getting all these kids on the same page. Oh, to be a fly on the wall as he's teaching sets!
It’s going to be a huge breath of fresh air just hearing someone else speak after games honestly. Cal got to a point where he didn’t even show after losses and when he did he spouted nonsense like “if we fight, we win.” “Does it take talent to fight?” “These kids are young, herp derp.” “When they understand they need to be their brothers keeper, they will shine!”

I want him to do so well, I don’t want to be in a place 5 years from now when he looks 70 walking a dog in a stroller hoping someone notices him on the side of the road and begs him to stay.
I don't think Mark Pope will ever do that. Cal burnt every bridge he had here, and I can't wait for KSR and others to start bringing out the stories about this coaching staff etc.

I want him to do so well, I don’t want to be in a place 5 years from now when he looks 70 walking a dog in a stroller hoping someone notices him on the side of the road and begs him to stay.
That’s just such a sad video for a lot of reasons. Cal looks so defeated. We didn’t know who we were getting. Cal just wasn’t the guy for the job anymore.

Crazy how he was once at the top of CBB.

I do hope Pope stays a long while but also has the wisdom to know when he’s done all he can here.

II've noticed Cal is all over YouTube right now, engaging with many people. It's unfortunate that his issues with KSR led him to disengage. However, it's understandable that dealing with constant pressure from 20 KSR reporters could make anyone ready for a change.

And he actually interacts with fans when out and about.
You mean he doesn't hate us.
Ken Jeong Yes GIF by The Masked Singer

That’s just such a sad video for a lot of reasons. Cal looks so defeated. We didn’t know who we were getting. Cal just wasn’t the guy for the job anymore.

I do hope Pope stays a long while but also has the wisdom to know when he’s done all he can here.
It was sad, but it was his ego that caused it all.

II've noticed Cal is all over YouTube right now, engaging with many people. It's unfortunate that his issues with KSR led him to disengage. However, it's understandable that dealing with constant pressure from 20 KSR reporters could make anyone ready for a change.
🤔

Reactions: BlueSince92

Don’t feel sorry for the narcissist ass at all. He thought he was bigger than KY basketball and could do whatever the hell he wanted to and get away with it. He did for a bit but then he found out he in fact was not bigger than KY basketball and he got chewed up and spit out. Loved watching him scurry away from the podium as the calling of the hogs ensued. You’re not in Lexington anymore cal. From Camelot to the trough 😂

It’s going to be a huge breath of fresh air just hearing someone else speak after games honestly. Cal got to a point where he didn’t even show after losses and when he did he spouted nonsense like “if we fight, we win.” “Does it take talent to fight?” “These kids are young, herp derp.” “When they understand they need to be their brothers keeper, they will shine!”
I will be listening to coaches shows and post game interviews for the first time in about 10 years.

Communication goes a long way. Shutting yourself off from others, refusing to answer questions, sticking to an echo chamber but things worse.

Some guys get the big head and then get further disconnected cause of it and then believe they’re the show.

Reactions: cathouse
He's been a fantastic change in the whole UK environment so far. But, it still comes down to wins and championships with we UK fans. Honeymoon period for him right now then it gets serious. I'm very excited and happy to have him here right now and wish him great success. But, the whole joy of being a UK fan seems to have returned.

I'm doing great!!

Been doing some fill in gigs lately. Working out of town quite bit!!

Yeah, I'd like to see B soon!!
So I’ve seen lol
Glad to see you’re still playing!
I’ll tell B…
Give the family my love

Sorry for hijacking the thread y’all

Reactions: NociHTTP
Never, never, never, NEVER should something like that be allowed to happen again. Feels good to have a coach that puts the program first again.
I hope that someone, somewhere, someday, tells Cal straight to his face that he did not put the University of Kentucky's basketball program before the NBA. I'm hoping that it's one of the things that Mitch told him in private.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
I hope that someone, somewhere, someday, tells Cal straight to his face that he did not put the University of Kentucky's basketball program before the NBA. I'm hoping that it's one of the things that Mitch told him in private.
Wouldn’t surprise me with all the talk around their apparently deteriorating relationship and Coach Pope’s press conference hitting on all the points we’ve been talking about for years:
“Here to win BANNERS”
“Banners in Nashville”
Maui
“Name on the front of the jersey”

If the rumors were correct about Mitch and Cal having a bad relationship between the two of them, then he must have loved that presser being somewhat set up as a thinly veiled shot at Cal and what he represented while he was the coach here.

You can tell Pope comes from an all female house. He communicates everything clearly and succinctly with zero room for interpretation. 🤣

-Husband and two time girl dad.
I’m laughing/crying because I can relate. That learning curve is tremendous.

We loved the way Cal communicated the first few weeks too.

From the press conference to us rallying around his Twitter account so he could talk to us directly, he said and did all the right things for a really long time.

Then he stopped winning.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Don’t feel sorry for the narcissist ass at all. He thought he was bigger than KY basketball and could do whatever the hell he wanted to and get away with it. He did for a bit but then he found out he in fact was not bigger than KY basketball and he got chewed up and spit out. Loved watching him scurry away from the podium as the calling of the hogs ensued. You’re not in Lexington anymore cal. From Camelot to the trough 😂
I don't feel sorry for him per se. I feel sorry for what could've been for the both of us. Dude had a chance to be one of the LEGENDS of college basketball along with elevating us even further beyond.

Imagine if we got that 40-0. The only team in CBB history to win that many games undefeated. The second team to do it since IU. Usurping Bob Knight's throne from them. Then maybe winning yet another one in 2017. That would've been three huge titles. and would've left K with 4.

Books would've been written about it for decades about how UK and Cal were the rightful KINGS of CBB.

Yet the last image of the Cal Era at UK is a sad old man walking his dog. Cest la vie.

I don't feel sorry for him per se. I feel sorry for what could've been for the both of us. Dude had a chance to be one of the LEGENDS of college basketball along with elevating us even further beyond.

Imagine if we got that 40-0. The only team in CBB history to win that many games undefeated. The second team to do it since IU. Usurping Bob Knight's throne from them. Then maybe winning yet another one in 2017. That would've been three huge titles. and would've left K with 4.

Books would've been written about it for decades about how UK and Cal were the rightful KINGS of CBB.

Yet the last image of the Cal Era at UK is a sad old man walking his dog. Cest la vie.
That I don’t disagree with. Cal and UK was the perfect match no doubt. All was there for the taking, all cal had to do was put forth a little effort in his coaching but for whatever reason he either wouldn’t or couldn’t, When he lost the 2015 title I was fairly certain he would never win a 2nd title for us. When he lost to Auburn in the EE i was pretty much done with him, had no idea at that time the next several seasons would end up as they did but each disappointing season ending loss just built the apathy that much more. So glad to have him gone and a coach in place who values what KY basketball stands for. Uk basketball was dying a slow death under cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT