ADVERTISEMENT

Is resigning the only way Cal leaves?

Mar 5, 2006
Personally, I need a Final Four to feel good about the job Cal has done this year.

Is there any way Mitch pulls the trigger? Can we pony up the funds?

My main question is - if Cal loses in the 1st round, does he get fired? 2nd round?

I only see Cal leaving by his own free will until this contract expires or the buyout gets lower.

It’s title or bust for me. We’ll look back at all this talent at some point and be amazed at their record.

If the reports are true that Mitch caved in to the NIL collective because he feared Cal would leave this summer, I’d say no change is happening for a while.

He and Rughead Self were the two most underachieving D1 coaches for the amount of talent that had come through their programs. But Rughead got his second natty so guess what that just leaves CCC. Maybe Izzy is in the conversation too but he doesn’t get nearly the recruits.

I said in October that FF or better is what I needed.

But we will be lucky to make it out of the first weekend. I’m not worried about game 1 as I am the second game because that’ll be another tossup. If we make it to the S16 it will be all about matchups. Even then, it’ll be a toss up unless we hit a high seed team that played out of their minds and upset a couple in the first weekend. I’d love to roll into the S16 against some lucky ass 11-16 seed that shocked everyone and now runs out of gas.

But even if we are out in the first weekend, Mitch won’t fire him. The only way Cal leaves is if he had or has another NCAAT miss and gets fired, or retires. More likely he retires regardless of his performance or our bitching and moaning.

I don’t think so. The absolute venom I heard from fellow fans last night in the arena and longtimers say they are never going back to SEC tourney until Cal is gone…

I think this is much closer to the edge than others think.

The fans are over Cal and have been for some time. What has some fans holding on is recruiting and hopes of a Reed Sheppard return and that is it.

I think a flameout next weekend and it’s over. It will take another year but there will be no coming back.

UK will not fire Cal but it will be broken beyond repair, and fans won’t contribute to collective like he hopes. Roster may turn over. If Reed leaves, then Rupp will have empties by the thousands next season. Faith will be totally lost. Next year will be another underachieving bumpy ride and then UK will finally make the move.

The only thing that saves Cal:
An incredible NCAA run
Reed returns and guys come back talking of winning a title

This the only way…

Otherwise, UK will have no choice but to fire him after next season ends inevitably in more disappointment.

Last edited:
Cal will leave appear to leave on his own terms regardless. Not saying there will or won't be pressure from movers and shakers for Cal to move on, but the fallout from an ugly divorce is not in the interest of anyone involved.

Reactions: know1
He and Rughead Self were the two most underachieving D1 coaches for the amount of talent that had come through their programs. But Rughead got his second natty so guess what that just leaves CCC. Maybe Izzy is in the conversation too but he doesn’t get nearly the recruits.
Izzy is losing about 13 games per year and playing barely above .500 (41-38) in the big 10 since 2019. He’s flat out ruining a legacy right now . They get top 20 recruiting classes pretty much consistently

I don’t think so. The absolute venom I heard from fellow fans last night in the arena and longtimers say they are never going back to SEC tourney until Cal is gone…

I think this is much closer to the edge than others think.

The fans are over Cal and have been for some time. What has some fans holding on is recruiting and hopes of a Reed Sheppard return and that is it.

I think a flameout next weekend and it’s over. It will take another year but there will be no coming back.

UK will not fire Cal but it will be broken beyond repair, and fans won’t contribute to collective like he hopes. Roster may turn over. If Reed leaves, then Rupp will have empties by the thousands next season. Faith will be totally lost. Next year will be another underachieving bumpy ride and then UK will finally make the move.

The only thing that saves Cal:
An incredible NCAA run
Reed returns and guys come back talking of winning a title

This the only way…

Otherwise, UK will have no choice but to fire him after next season ends inevitably in more disappointment.
People think the possibility of Reed returning for 1 more is real . If so , it’d be one more ride for Cal and I think that’s it . I thought this yr may be it , but him and Mitch together on the collective gives me pause …and OSU , Michigan and Louisville aren’t hiring him. I think the right job and he’d go …but it doesn’t look like it’s the year . It’d need to be a basketball first type school , with lower ( or at least not strict ) admission standards that can get anyone in for one year via portal or high school recruit

Reactions: UkMccurdy
Barnhart won’t make a move. He doesn’t want to deal with two coaching searches at the same time..

He came here to recruit the best of the best and put titles in the ceiling. He has done one, not the other. He hasn’t lived up to his own expectations, his own words. I hope there is a way for him to go and hoping it is at seasons end.

It's way past time for Cal to go. I have offered to help him pack.🤣 Seriously, UK can afford the buyout. I know this from my aunt who was a big donor until she passed. They just don't want to. Mitch doesn't want the confrontation with Cal.and the President doesn't really care about sports. He is just happy there are no problems academically and the quality of our players (they don't cause problems like rape, murder, etc.). The only way they will do something is if they're forced to...like a loss of revenue or if it becomes obvious nationally there is a problem (like if it shows a near empty arena on tv). Unfortunately, the people that need to care...don't.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT