ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to stop handshake lines?

For the record, I love that this is the first topic/debate in a while that seems to really split the fanbase down the middle. I love that. Idk, i find sports debates fun and debating the same shit get old. Debating this stuff never bothers me and I think the opposing side has some decent reasons to keep it going.

My retort is, why don't we make pro athletes do this? Are they above this sort of thing? In no other occupation do we go ass kiss the opponent (be it a coworker, another competing company, etc). I think the handshake line IS good for youth sports, it teaches them all the things were talking about. But at some point, these are adults, many of home are older than the rookies and sophomores I'm the NBA. I guess I just don't see what we are gaining by doing this. The players gain nothing, coaches don't care, fans get nothing.
Good post. Yes, it's refreshing.

My retort is, the NBA shouldn't be a blueprint for anything basketball related or humility related, lol.

My real retort is, there should never be an age limit on respect, civility etc. There are many things in life where the consequences of 'failure' are far worse than having to shake someone's hand. If you can't lose a sports game with grace and dignity, it's gonna be a frustrating life. And chances are, at some point, those people will learn the lesson. One way or another.

Regarding handshake lines, either do them, or don't... whatever.

But we shouldn't make the case for doing away with the notion of shaking your opponent's hand after the contest because a brawl breaks out. That's ridiculous. A handshake tradition didn't cause that. Lack of maturity and discipline caused that. Maybe address the maturity and discipline issues instead of saying we'll just accept the notion players can't control themselves and therefore we must not put them in a situation where a brawl will break out.
Exactly, handshake lines have been around forever. Never any problems before. People these days just have no sense.

You want to talk integrity and morals with 1950s America as the jumping off point?? Lol let’s definitely get into that. Want to start with the student demonstrations in opposition to the Brown vs. Board of Education ruling?? So yeah nah, you’re right, definitely not the same. A bunch of those kids are still alive and voting too.
People In general today are way dumber and have less morals than ever. You can point to society issues like that but people acted better in public by a mile back then. Even as a kid in the 1980’s it was a different world with way more common sense.

People In general today are way dumber and have less morals than ever. You can point to society issues like that but people acted better in public by a mile back then. Even as a kid in the 1980’s it was a different world with way more common sense.
First sentence sounds like your personal opinion. I doubt stats would back those claims. Idk who your family is, but they must’ve been different from mine given all the stories I heard. I had some riff raff great uncles that grew up in the 50s and 60s and my Dad and his brothers ran wild in the 70s when getting in trouble was all there was to really do for a kid with no pocket change. Ain’t all that much changed, the internet is just a constantly moving microscope. It makes everything look hellish, because it kinda is…but it always has been. Now you know.

Good post. Yes, it's refreshing.

My retort is, the NBA shouldn't be a blueprint for anything basketball related or humility related, lol.

My real retort is, there should never be an age limit on respect, civility etc. There are many things in life where the consequences of 'failure' are far worse than having to shake someone's hand. If you can't lose a sports game with grace and dignity, it's gonna be a frustrating life. And chances are, at some point, those people will learn the lesson. One way or another.

Probably not lol, in regards to the NBA.

But NFL isn't doing it either. Hockey seems to only do it at the end of series. It's one thing to have civility, but that can be very tough to do during a sporting event that contains a lot of contact, and I'd say even MORE so when said sport ISN'T supposed to be a contact sport. I think it's no coincidence that Rugby, Hockey, and Football are all able to, at times, come together at the end of the game.. why? Because it was physical and players are able to use that physicality against the other team. A few hard hits here, a cheap shot there. Maybe everyone's body is shot after those games..

But in basketball, it's weirdly different. You can't let out aggression. And you sort of have to play en entire physical game.

I guess I keep coming back to this: What are these 19 and 20 year old players gaining by doing the handshake line? I don't think any of them are thinking "that really helped me".

It takes character to lose and then shake your opponents hand. Kids should learn to take an “L” and pick themselves back up.

Reactions: KFuqua
First sentence sounds like your personal opinion. I doubt stats would back those claims. Idk who your family is, but they must’ve been different from mine given all the stories I heard. I had some riff raff great uncles that grew up in the 50s and 60s and my Dad and his brothers ran wild in the 70s when getting in trouble was all there was to really do for a kid with no pocket change. Ain’t all that much changed, the internet is just a constantly moving microscope. It makes everything look hellish, because it kinda is…but it always has been. Now you know.
I lived it, I’ve seen society degrade. It’s the worst it’s ever been. Plenty of examples. Men acting like women, women trying to be men. Nobody acts with any sense anymore. It’s all out there to see my dude. Take a look. As far as people being dumber, look at academic progress in America, it’s sinking. I watched a video of kids on a college campus that could not multiply 15x4 on the spot. 4 of them agreed it was 48.

• Love
Sportsmanship issues have always happened, we just have social media that makes it appear like it is worse than ever before.

I think it is stupid. If players want to stick around after to shake hands, let 'em...if they want to head back to the locker room immediately after, let 'em.

I personally would stick around to say good game, win or lose...but if players on the opposing team didn't want to say good game to me after a win or loss, I couldn't care less.

A big brawl broke out in the handshake line last night after Texas AM Commerce game against incarnate word. This seems to be happening more frequently. Is it time to end the handshake line? Baseball doesn’t do it. Football doesn’t do it. I can’t think of any other sports that does it like basketball.

Good idea... tes, let's just throw good sportsmanship out the window and everybody gets to act like a bunch of thugs. Worlds going to hell in a handbasket

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT