ADVERTISEMENT

Is Edey good or just big?

He's the Brady of college basketball.

Talented and protected.

I hate when both combine. Just like with Brady, I want to acknowledge and respect his skill set, but goodness. He gets so much protection you just can't like the guy.

Now we have deal with that with Mahomes.

He’s good. His NBA future is limited because of his foot speed, but he kept up in the PNR today most of the time. A dude like Abedayo would slip past him for a lob dunk every time though.

You’re nuts. He’s very skilled. Uses either hand. Drop steps, hook shots. Knows how to position for rebounds. What are you looking at?
If he was 6'10" instead of 7'4", he wouldn't get on the court. He is so tall that he was able to cut down the nets without using a ladder. His size is his superpower, but his lack of mobility is his kryptonite.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
If he was 6'10" instead of 7'4", he wouldn't get on the court. He is so tall that he was able to cut down the nets without using a ladder. His size is his superpower, but his lack of mobility is his kryptonite.
Yeah? If the queen had nuts she’d be king.

Point being he is 7’4”, I’m not taking that away from him. And he just played 40 mins (I know they said he was out for 39 secs) and put up 40 pts and 16 boards. I’m impressed as hell w his skill and his stamina.

Point being he is 7’4”, I’m not taking that away from him. And he just played 40 mins (I know they said he was out for 39 secs) and put up 40 pts and 16 boards. I’m impressed as hell w his skill and his stamina.
Yeah, if you knew anything about basketball, you wouldn't have made your stupid post. If the NBA wanted him, he would have been gone to the NBA.

Last edited:
Yeah, if knew anything about basketball, you wouldn't have made your stupid post. If the NBA wanted him, he would have been gone to the NBA.
Don’t have to get pissy, son. Now, reach down and get ahold of your plums and see if that helps you withstand a differing opinion.

Reactions: UK90

At 7'4" with the refs protection, he should have been able to do all of those things. The NBA doesn't want him because he isn't very skilled. The NBA has had it's share of extremely tall players with limited mobility and it didn't work out very well.

Don’t have to get pissy, son. Now, reach down and get ahold of your plums and see if that helps you withstand a differing opinion.
You are the one talking about nuts, queens, and kings. Speaking of nuts... Lol

Great college player. But he would never get away with bullying in the NBA. Roll player at best.

No it didn't. Carter would not have been good playing for anyone. Alleyne could barely run up the court. He owned Bogut for a half though.
That is your opinion and I don't agree with it. If Edey played for Kentucky, he wouldn't have ever gotten on the court.

That is your opinion and I don't agree with it. If Edey played for Kentucky, he wouldn't have ever gotten on the court.
So you blame Tubby for Jared Carter sucking? Dude was trash at Scott County. What does that have anything to do with how Cal would play Edey?

Reactions: UK90 and TM2013
Seriously? How can any UK fan ask that question after watching our 7 footers suck out loud. Remember Shagari and Woo? There's alot more to it than just being tall, Edey is incredibly talented.
Let’s not forget ole 7’2” Jared Carter. He was so awful that he never played enough to be remembered for being awful the way Shagari and Woo are.

I’d think anyone who’s followed just UK alone would’ve figured out by now that it takes plenty more than just being enormous to be an effective center.

So you blame Tubby for Jared Carter sucking? Dude was trash at Scott County. What does that have anything to do with how Cal would play Edey?
No, I don't totally blame Tubby for Jared Carter's poor performance. However, if a coach brings a player into his program, he does carry some of the blame if he is unable to develop him.

No, I don't totally blame Tubby for Jared Carter's poor performance. However, if a coach brings a player into his program, he does carry some of the blame if he is unable to develop him.
The argument here is whether Edey was good or just big and the answer is both. People gave Carter or Alleyne or Woo as examples of people who were just big and not good. No amount of coaching could have helped them. Tubby had nothing to do with the conversation; but because you're such a miserable fan, you had to find a way to complain about two Kentucky coaches instead of sticking to the point which was Edey.

This. If just being that huge was enough, then guys like Jared Carter and Shagari Alleyne would’ve been stars at UK.

But instead they were unplayably awful.
I'm not saying he's terrible but he has 2* skills in an imposing frame and stature. If he was shorter he'd be a forgotten player. His touch around the rim is actually pretty terrible. Guys like Carter and Alleyne had .5* skill lol.

He's good for someone that size, but if he was 6'9 240 I doubt he'd be putting up 40 and 16.
But he is 7'4" and 300 lbs, not 6'9" and 240 pounds. He doesn't need to have more skill than
a 6'9" and 240 pound to be way more effective than that guy.

He gets some calls but if you watch Purdue consistently he really lets alot of people get to the basket, especially early in the game, to stay out of foul trouble. When your entire offense is based on having him in the middle, you don't take unnecessary risks. Late in the game if he is not in foul trouble he will start to go after more shots in the lane, like he did with Knecht late today.

Eady is good at the college level without doubt plus he has very good hands,and decent footwork. He also gets away with about 5 extra fouls a game because the refs will not call them.

He is not very skilled man. He just had the body type and size to give college players fits. And the refs reward him constantly. I'm not saying he isn't fouled a lot but he gets the benefit of the doubt a lot.

He doesn't really have a mid range game, he isn't a great free throw shooter. Definitely not a threat from 3.

He's a problem because of his size and stature, nothing more. He isn't awful but if he was 6'9" no one would know his name.
His foot work and hands at 7'4" are great. I never bought in to his being good either until I watched him closely. He's a problem

His foot work and hands at 7'4" are great. I never bought in to his being good either until I watched him closely. He's a problem
I still think it's 75% size and stature and 25% skill. In the end it doesn't matter he can dominate in college. But when asked if it's size or good (skill) I'm going size everytime.

Edit: like if he had DJ Burns skill he'd be hailed as the next Jokic.

Diary Room Reilly GIF by Big Brother

Very good college player. He has great hands for such a big man, and he has nice footwork in the paint. That said, I think Clingan at UCONN is a better player because he's more athletic than Edey. I think Clingan has a better upside, ie the NBA. Would love to have either one playing for the Big Blue....

I don’t see Edey as being overly skilled. He’s powerful and good around the bucket, but I don’t know how effective he’ll be in the NBA.
I was watching and asking myself the same thing and I came out with - Mainly big but with some skills and fundamentals to make him tough to handle on the college level. Would have to develop some kind of shot to be a pro because otherwise not active enough to be effective on that level. He does have some agility and moves close to the basket but gets by mainly with his size.

Reactions: Lempface
I think he's quite skilled. Watching the UT game, he has really good foot work. He has nice touch. But being 7'4 absolutely helps.

Now, do I think he's a great NBA player? No. Rotational guy. But college wise--he's been dominant.

I still think it's 75% size and stature and 25% skill. In the end it doesn't matter he can dominate in college. But when asked if it's size or good (skill) I'm going size everytime.

Edit: like if he had DJ Burns skill he'd be hailed as the next Jokic.
And if dj burns was 6'4 you wouldn't know his name either.
It goes hand n hand

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT