ADVERTISEMENT

Is anybody out there?

I was just reading that today. Then I got depressed when I realized how far 1400 light yrs is away.

-Pluto is something like .0000031 light yrs away......and it took our probe about 10 yrs to get there.
-Kepler is 1400 light yrs away.......and we not even sure 100% that it's a habitable planet.

PS. I'm likely completely off of the measurements above......I know this.......leave me alone......

I was just reading that today. Then I got depressed when I realized how far 1400 light yrs is away.

-Pluto is something like .0000031 light yrs away......and it took our probe about 10 yrs to get there.
-Kepler is 1400 light yrs away.......and we not even sure 100% that it's a habitable planet.

PS. I'm likely completely off of the measurements above......I know this.......leave me alone......

Close enough. Considering the Milky Way Galaxy is 1000 light years across or so, hey it is just in the backyard.:alien:

Wait till you see the unreleased pictures from the superzoom to the planet.....they have candid, uncensored shots of a barfnar quagaling a narbtard's porbakweef.

Type of stuff that would make Jenna Jameson blush. Deep web stuff.

[roll]

Reactions: UKGrad93
I always want to feel the awe-inspiring pull of science in these stories. But instead I get the sense they are drafted by scientists angling desperately for more funding. I mean, "nearest earth twin?" Compared to what? A chain of about 40 educated guesses led them to make that claim, with the utter assurance that no one can challenge any BS they stack up.

Which is okay. It's fine to daydream about the vast unknown. But it'll be a 1,000 years, if ever, before anyone knows if this is an earth-like "twin."

"Well, time to leave my family. Gotta save the planet. See you mother touchers in 80 years. Make sure the guy from Jaws 4 watches over my kids."

Interstellar-McConaughey-holding-model-spacecraft.jpg

Space exploration gets me excited and depressed at the same time...

I love hearing about all of the new discoveries, but it sucks that I'll likely never have the chance to see what ultimately comes of it if we find other intelligent life.

Reactions: Big_Blue79

I love hearing about all of the new discoveries, but it sucks that I'll likely never have the chance to see what ultimately comes of it if we find other intelligent life.
Actually , I think they are closer than we think.
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/04/mak...y-they-successfully-tested-a-real-warp-drive/
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/04/mak...y-they-successfully-tested-a-real-warp-drive/

Dude made a warp drive, and it's being tested.

If you can make it to the middle of this century then you will more than likes live long enough to see some pretty cool stuff.

Everyone needs to understand something. If a person tells you they have violated a law of physics, they are wrong.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Everyone needs to understand something. If a person tells you they have violated a law of physics, they are wrong.
That is an incredibly uneducated statement. Newtonian physics and Quantum Physics violate each other in locality principle. Plus other break downs on the Quantum level.

This is part of the reason for the grand unified theory. (Among a lot of other things).

Last edited:
I'm glad you are not capable of understanding what I said within the context of the thread. It's what makes you so much fun.

He does a good job researching topics, or at least counter arguments, before he posts. His ability to articulate is what makes it convincing.

The biggest problem I have with all of this is, up until now, the clearest pictures we have of Pluto were distorted pixel like blurred images. Now, bodies much further away are being touted as earth like even though we can't really see them, or at least make out anything with clarity.

If you plotted out mathematically all of the assumptions used by the scientists analysing what amounts to digital inferences that light may have been registered near a star, you'd realize just how much blarney there is in describing whatever is or isn't out there as "an Earth-like twin." I'd say it is as likely as not that there isn't even a planet where they are guessing there is one.

NASA spent $600 million. Before the thing accomplished its mission it stopped functioning. They could either put out a press release saying "We failed, but got enough partial readings to make a wild-ass guess" or they could put out a press release, secure that the science behind it would never be challenged by journalists who have no idea what they are writing, that said, "Great news! We've found Earth's Twin! Let's keep that funding coming!"

That warp drive could be a game changer. All this gets me excited. They are definitely out there and they can get to us. It wont be too long before we can get to them. The only question is do we want to?

Somewhere Tom cruise, Kristy alley, and John travolta are all saying I told you so. Now sign your contract sea orgs!

Thread closed. No more talk needed. Might as well shut down all the advances we are working on. Its settled. Thanks!
Just answered the question.

This thread can go on for a year, don't matter to me hoss.

The experiment, conducted at the Johnson Space Center in Texas, found that an electromagnetic drive, or “EMDrive,” was able to function in a vaccuum — something that even NASA has stated would defy the laws of motion.

NASA touched on the idea of warp drive on its website last month, calling the idea of traveling at light speed “simply imaginary at this point.”

“There are many ‘absurd’ theories that have become reality over the years of scientific research. But for the near future, warp drive remains a dream.”

It's settled science.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT