ADVERTISEMENT

Interpreting Coach Speak and Looking for “Outliers.”

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I’ve been listening to Coach-speak for a long time. When I heard Curry talk about “a natural progression toward championship football” after a loss, I had already been listening to such BS for 20 years.

So there are words and thoughts that perk your ears when you hear them.

Rule No. 1 of Coach Speak: never over-sell your possibilities pre-season.

This rule is simple common sense: Rocky Felker in the mid-eighties was briefly the HC at MSU, and at SEC media days voted for State to win the conference, admitting he had done so in humorous interviews. He was fired at the end of that season when State came up about 6 wins shy of the professed goal.

Hence, Coaches like to talk about “the process.”

Schnellenberger announced a “Five-Year Plan,” his first year at U of L, drawing some laughter from the coaching fraternity . . . but others admitted they wished they had come up with it.

And this preseason, there are some hints that hopes and expectations are high: Coach Wolford led off a response with “We are getting ready for a big season, here . . . .”

Multiple Coaches have made the same remark about many players at various positions: “This is very important to him/them.”

The little, sometimes unnoticed words, seem to point to
hope/expectation of something special.

I might be reading too much into it, but it all beats the Hell out of . . . “In Five years, we’ll be hard to handle!”

The single biggest tell for me has been how totally relaxed Mark Stoops has been all year!!!

I fully expect him to come to press conferences smoking a stogie and sipping a cold one. He has been that chill so far this year.

Hasn't even had his annual Fall Camp blow-up. I guess it could still happen after the scrimmage this Saturday.

He is either very satisfied with what he is seeing out of this team, or.................

he is getting a lot of young snatch since his divorce.

Either way, he seems to be a happy camper this year.

Last edited:
The single biggest tell for me has been how totally relaxed Mark Stoops has been all year!!!

Yeah, dude’s pretty chill!

I liked the film of Coen, talking about the first day in pads with tackling.

He was sort of giddy: “Yeah, this was the first day we’ve seen a defense have to try to tackle Chris Rodriguez . . . it’s a good thing to see.”

Reactions: cathouse
The coaches have done a good job conveying how the whole team is buying into just flat out doing what it takes to win.
The way they spoke about Kinnard and Cummings.
To that fact, I think I Izayah is gonna ball out this season. Stoops talks as if he is in disbelief how well the kid is taking to a new position.

“I like my team”.-Stoops (Not a huge BBall fan but I’m sure he’s heard Calipari say that about some really good BBall teams)

Stoops isn’t as much of a speaker or showman as most SEC head coaches, but I really like his demeanor compared to years before, starting with SEC media days & increasing through camp.

(SEC MEDIA DAYS) “I said it when I got to Kentucky that we were going to recruit, we were going to develop, we were going to compete, and I wanted to take this program to national prominence, and people laughed at me. We're not there yet, but we're on our way…I feel good about where we're at”.

I don’t remember Stoops talking like that before. Like…I hope you got your laughs in because I’m coming for your @$$es.
I may be reading too much into it, but he does seem confident right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT