ADVERTISEMENT

For the Broad Interest of ALL UK programs, We Should Not Spend 20 million (+) to Fire Cal.

Personally, I will fall down dead of a heart attack if Barnhart fires Cal. Just won't happen. Possibly, a group of donors could get together and offer Cal $10M or so to fund a settlement with UK, to allow him to pursue another job with no salary offset and both sides save face. As an aside, tbh who is in the market for a 65 year old coach with a recent history of vastly underperforming?

But to just fire him and write a $33M check, will never happen. IMO

Folks, 20 or 30, or 32 million is a hefty sum of money in our athletic community.

Some folks on the basketball forum are throwing numbers around like a drunk Sailor with a week’s leave.

If the University, or the financial sponsors of our university have that much loose change lying around, throw one-third of it at football NIL, ten percent at Baseball NIL, swallow hard and hope Cal can get back on the post-season winning track.

Drain our monied folks of that much green, then spend millions more for
the next basketball coach . . . not likely a long-term winning strategy for any of
our sports.
It seems a reasonable take or is this a sunk cost fallacy? Is paying him to leave and properly funding our athletic department a zero sum proposition? What are the opportunity costs of Cal staying? I am not insider enough to know.

Cal doesn’t have an offset clause so if he took another job UK would only owe the difference. That alleviates the financial costs.

Cal doesn’t strike me as the type to not take a job after getting canned. He’s too proud.
He does have an offset clause and the language that was read on the show I was listening to said the offset was for any job, not just coaching, and it said offset by contracted salary or fair market value whichever is greater.

Folks, 20 or 30, or 32 million is a hefty sum of money in our athletic community.

Some folks on the basketball forum are throwing numbers around like a drunk Sailor with a week’s leave.

If the University, or the financial sponsors of our university have that much loose change lying around, throw one-third of it at football NIL, ten percent at Baseball NIL, swallow hard and hope Cal can get back on the post-season winning track.

the next basketball coach . . . not likely a long-term winning strategy for any of
our sports.

If it was money in the budget, those alternatives sound great, but the money people have to get excited about where their money is going. Does getting rid of Cal excite them?* If not, that does not mean that money is available for Hack’s dreams.

* do they like Cal enough to pay him that kind of money to go away? You have to want him gone, but also need to stomach that he is walking away with $30+ million. That would be a difficult sell if you don’t like Cal.

Why the hell does basketball have a higher recruiting budget?!?!?? Take that buyout money and ur it for fb recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
Personally, I will fall down dead of a heart attack if Barnhart fires Cal. Just won't happen. Possibly, a group of donors could get together and offer Cal $10M or so to fund a settlement with UK, to allow him to pursue another job with no salary offset and both sides save face. As an aside, tbh who is in the market for a 65 year old coach with a recent history of vastly underperforming?

But to just fire him and write a $33M check, will never happen. IMO
It's $33mm over the remaining years of the contract, so roughly $500k a month minus any money earned from any job, coaching or otherwise, plus an extra "fair market value clause" that prevents him from taking a low salary just to stick it to UK.

So it now going to buy out an over the hill basketball coach isn't taking something away that had already been promised.
A good point, if you assume infinite resources.

But there is surely a finite amount from all resources funding our programs.

Throw 34 million at Cal, and 34 million has been removed from a finite pool of resources, that has yet to “be promised” to anything, and which, presumably, is available to all.

Last edited:
$33M doesnt magically manifest. If donors pony that up, its $33M less that COULD be donated to something else. Not that it will be, but could be.

I just dont see it. I also dont think they wanna mess with next years class while havng time to put someone else in that position and have a plan going forward.

Fans are rightfully pissed with Cal, but hes still loved, returned UK to prominence, and is a HoF coach. A Coach K swan song with a renegotiated contract would make sense.

If $33M were sitting available on the sidelines not funding NIL these last 3 yrs...it would stay in the pockets of doners the next 5 yrs not going to football, no matter what happens to Calipari

If $33M were sitting available on the sidelines not funding NIL these last 3 yrs...it would stay in the pockets of doners the next 5 yrs not going to football, no matter what happens to Calipari
Why would you think that? The Crafts, once staunch basketball ppl have donated a lot to football.

The season is over. Who is going to throw a game? Cal needs to go and that is all there is to it.

If you want Cal gone I am fine with hat, but unless I misunderstood the poster, he was saying if Cal stayed, that the players should intentionally miss shots to get the boosters to pony up firing money. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. I don't think anyone can argue this, but Cal is an elite recruiters, and as much as we all hate it these elite players don't care much about our favorite teams, they are there to get to the next level. Cal's team results are lacking, but he is getting kids to the pros, maybe they like him?

He’s made his bed and he should lay in it… With Barnhart… It shouldn’t be so easy for Barney to buy his way out the mess… I would think there are ways to make the job less palatable for Cal. OMO but both should be exited out… None of us could not make a 33 mill mistake for damn sure.

A good point, if you assume infinite resources.

But there is surely a finite amount from all resources funding our programs.

Throw 34 million at Cal, and 34 million has been removed from a finite pool of resources, that has yet to “be promised” to anything, and which, presumably, is available to all.

Dead on Hack, the BB supporters give off the vibe that the entire payoff from the SEC and TV monies is the men's BB money to do with as they please, 33m buyout for Cal, probably another m for his assistants, then the buyout for t he new coach and his salary, you probably looking at near 50m. It just seems like they don't get those monies fund 12-14 sports at UK and all can't be used to fire a coach.

Why would you think that? The Crafts, once staunch basketball ppl have donated a lot to football.
Because after 11 yrs if big money UK doners (not named Joe Craft) are still not funding football, the absence of a Calipari $33M buyout in 2024 won't sway them to give in the near future

Because after 11 yrs if big money UK doners (not named Joe Craft) are still not funding football, the absence of a Calipari $33M buyout in 2024 won't sway them to give in the near future
(1) Big money donors have helped UK Football;

(2) Subtract 34 million from our donor base and there is 34 million less of a finite resource for all programs.

(3) Any speculation passed the simple math is pure speculation: but the math is math.

(4) Hoping that another school will hire a 65 year old, hence cutting our costs to fire him, ignores the fact that we will also have (presumably) a very highly paid Coach and staff, offsetting most of the savings if Cal goes back to work.

(5) Firing Cal this season (before U of L makes a hire) would be double trouble. He would haul a class of one-and-dones and rub our noses in it for at least two seasons, and we would see “Got Cal,” stickers in Jefferson County.

Last edited:
Dead on Hack, the BB supporters give off the vibe that the entire payoff from the SEC and TV monies is the men's BB money to do with as they please,
Welcome to UK sports, Grumpy; the initial (poor) choice from 1953 rears its ugly head . . . .

But I think wiser heads have prevailed this time around.

(5) Firing Cal this season (before U of L makes a hire) would be double trouble. He would haul a class of one-and-dones and rub our noses in it for at least two seasons, and we would see “Got Cal,” stickers in Jefferson County.
^This

-wgaf he goes to Louisville. He's washed up. That is a soft as hell attitude.

-33 mil is a bs "scary" number... it's split over the next 6 years *and* there is an offset clause... meaning the next jobs salary is deducted from whatever uk pays.

-regardless, uk basketball has the money... unlike UGA (et al) basketball programs. While football pays the freight/makes a *ton* more than basketball UKBB makes money/has money.

Last edited:
OK I really didn't want to read up on the Cal buyout if fired thing, I've only heard fleeting details on social media over the weekend.

If fired he does NOT get $33M. He gets approximately $6M a yr for life of the contract, 6 yrs. OH AND IT ISN'T A LIFETIME CONTRACT. his contract rolls over adding a yr after a year has expired. Same terms as Stoops!!

And, it has offset language, the $6M is reduced by market rates if he gets another job. What's that mean, if fired he couldn't go back to UMass for only $100k/yr. The terms of the contract are to treat any new job that he is being paid comparable prices of other coaches in his conference/league, and reduce the $6m. Or TV network job!

Folks, even if Calipari is fired and he dead retired from life, $6M a yr ain't nothin. Esp with new ESPN SEC TV money. Oh and the new CFB playoff payout money.

This fear of $33M being instantly sucked out of coffers and UK football being broke for years after is completely absolutely wrong when examining the facts. The only reason he wouldn't be fired is if the AD had zero confidence he could hire anyone better.

The only sports that actually matter are Football and Basketball. If they become average or die then you take a massive financial hit for the other programs anyways. Those are your money makers.

OK I really didn't want to read up on the Cal buyout if fired thing, I've only heard fleeting details on social media over the weekend.

If fired he does NOT get $33M. He gets approximately $6M a yr for life of the contract, 6 yrs. OH AND IT ISN'T A LIFETIME CONTRACT. his contract rolls over adding a yr after a year has expired. Same terms as Stoops!!

And, it has offset language, the $6M is reduced by market rates if he gets another job. What's that mean, if fired he couldn't go back to UMass for only $100k/yr. The terms of the contract are to treat any new job that he is being paid comparable prices of other coaches in his conference/league, and reduce the $6m. Or TV network job!

Folks, even if Calipari is fired and he dead retired from life, $6M a yr ain't nothin. Esp with new ESPN SEC TV money. Oh and the new CFB playoff payout money.

This fear of $33M being instantly sucked out of coffers and UK football being broke for years after is completely absolutely wrong when examining the facts. The only reason he wouldn't be fired is if the AD had zero confidence he could hire anyone better.
$6 million/ year for 6 years is actually $36 million, not chump change to come up with every year to pay a dud coach NOT to be here. Then if he does get another job that pays him $ 4 million/ year, UK is STILL on the hook for $12 million over those 6 years which is $ 2 million/year.

That money will be taken away from the athletic department no matter how you slice it. Even if our boosters pay it, that money could have been used for UK and NOT Cal.

It is a CRAPPY situation no matter how it ends up. Mitch needs to be held accountable for this mess MORE than Cal!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Didnt we drop 7 mil on an update for kroger field that certainly wasnt needed -- upgrade the ticket tape scores ? I'd give 7 million to turn the music off ... Ok I'm old

• Haha
Reactions: catben
(1) Big money donors have helped UK Football;

(2) Subtract 34 million from our donor base and there is 34 million less of a finite resource for all programs.

(3) Any speculation passed the simple math is pure speculation: but the math is math.

(4) Hoping that another school will hire a 65 year old, hence cutting our costs to fire him, ignores the fact that we will also have (presumably) a very highly paid Coach and staff, offsetting most of the savings if Cal goes back to work.

The only sports that actually matter are Football and Basketball. If they become average or die then you take a massive financial hit for the other programs anyways. Those are your money makers.
Oh, I agree.

I wish we could retro-date this very attitude to the 6 decades when football suffered utter mediocrity.

Reactions: Greezy Kreek
$6 million/ year for 6 years is actually $36 million, not chump change to come up with every year to pay a dud coach NOT to be here. Then if he does get another job that pays him $ 4 million/ year, UK is STILL on the hook for $12 million over those 6 years which is $ 2 million/year.

That money will be taken away from the athletic department no matter how you slice it. Even if our boosters pay it, that money could have been used for UK and NOT Cal.

It is a CRAPPY situation now matter how it ends up. Mitch needs to be held a counts me for this mess MORE than Cal!!!
True, and a simple mathematical idea.

Those claiming it “is nothin’” or “chump change” are delirious. It would be a serious bite from the large, but finite resources that support all our athletic endeavors.

And hoping that Cal takes another job . . . if it can go wrong it will!!

And you are right about Barnhart. Should we have to fire Cal with this load, I would be willing say goodbye to Barnhart, and
I have generally supported him.

What has it cost UK Athletics to keep John Calipari for this season?

What will it cost if he returns next season?

those costs are a helluvalot bigger than $6M/each. How can anyone disagree the basketball program run the way it has been the last 5 yrs is in fact already costing UK millions?

What has it cost UK Athletics to keep John Calipari for this season?
I asked the same, above, and no one proposing his dismissal has a clue.

If you claim there has been a slide of revenue or recruiting, specify it!!!
How can anyone disagree the basketball program run the way it has been the last 5 yrs is in fact already costing UK millions?
How many millions?

The NCAA profits wildly from the tourney, it being 90+ of the total revenue of NCAA.

Our basketball NIL must not have been affected . . . we have the second highest ranked incoming recruiting class.

Attendance?

Failure to draw sellouts in all sports for directional schools is a decade (or more) old phenomena at schools like Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, etc.

You claim “there must be a drop in revenue,” . . . because . . . well, just because “there must be a drop in revenue.”

If your position is that Cal must be fired because of a loss in revenue, then you bear the burden of showing that loss.

You say the losses have exceeded 6 million a year?

If that were true we would have seen massive increases in Football ticket/parking prices. They’ve pretty much increased with our inflation rate over that period.
Give me a source or a link.

Hell, if you can show that, we should ride Barnhart out on a rail!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: catben
Barney signed his own release with this crap... I hope both get kicked out together after this next chapter of 12 loss or is that 14 loss Cal....

GBB

Debate over. He coaches next yr.

IMO this happened not because of the $33M, but because the AD doesn't know who to hire who would be better

Reactions: robo222

our sports.
If someone knows??? What benefit is keeping him another year?? I thought someone said his buyout doesn’t go down??? So is it pay 33 million now and get a new coach NOW or is it let him stink it up 2 more years and give him 33 million then. What if any benefit is waiting??? He will not change. He has already said it. Does the buyout go down if we wait?? That’s my question. If not… do it now.

Lifetime contract really means lifetime of buyout not going down, LOL

Like I said....Barnhart is afraid he fires him, pays him out, pays all assistants out. then hires another Billie Gillispie, young up & commer who flames out in 2 yrs under the pressure.

Mitch desperately playing out the clock that he can keep Cal around long enough so he can retire. Let the next AD, Dwayne Peevy or Greg Burn deal with resurrecting UK Basketball.

There's a very real possibility that no other coach would be any more successful given the current climate of NIL and its impact on players' attitudes and commitments, particularly when trying to manage the top rated athletes for their respective sport and promises made to get them to sign NLI's. This may have also had a significant impact on Saban's decision. Like it or not, we're sailing uncharted waters and it will take some time to assess the real impact of the current climate.

There's a very real possibility that no other coach would be any more successful given the current climate of NIL and its impact on players' attitudes and commitments, particularly when trying to manage the top rated athletes for their respective sport and promises made to get them to sign NLI's. This may have also had a significant impact on Saban's decision. Like it or not, we're sailing uncharted waters and it will take some time to assess the real impact of the current climate.
I think the counter argument is that someone might not do better but it’s worth a shot because what we’re doing right now with mediocre to bad seasons could be accomplished by many people with at least a shot of upside

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns

Like I said....Barnhart is afraid he fires him, pays him out, pays all assistants out. then hires another Billie Gillispie, young up & commer who flames out in 2 yrs under the pressure.

Mitch desperately playing out the clock that he can keep Cal around long enough so he can retire. Let the next AD, Dwayne Peevy or Greg Burn deal with resurrecting UK Basketball.
Best point I’ve seen made around here is UK has only had 2 coaches in history that just floundered. And Sutton at least gave us one season before the downfall. But both of those had drinking/off court issues. Avoid those type things and there is a long list of people that can come to uK and do what we’ve been doing the past handful of years.

w
Oh, . . . . . . oh sh!t!!

Barnhart needs his head examined.

I wouldn’t have given that K to Wooden, Rupp, Bear Bryant or Saban.

The only reason he wouldn't be fired is if the AD had zero confidence he could hire anyone better.
I’m hearing that Barnhart reached out to several of the usual suspects, Jay Wright, Donovan, etc., and all have a very dim view of their replacing Cal.

All rumor, but . . . .

The first thing you need to replace a Coach is a bird in the hand.

I’ve always liked Mark Few, but I’ve heard he will die at Gonzaga, and he ain’t no Spring Chicken.

I like Self, but he’s tainted and likely won’t be pried loose of Kansas.

If Cal’s buyout doesn’t go down . . . maybe a high fat, high sodium diet is in order.

That man needs a prime rib and a cigar for dinner!!

I’m hearing that Barnhart reached out to several of the usual suspects, Jay Wright, Donovan, etc., and all have a very dim view of their replacing Cal.

All rumor, but . . . .

The first thing you need to replace a Coach is a bird in the hand.

I’ve always liked Mark Few, but I’ve heard he will die at Gonzaga, and he ain’t no Spring Chicken.

I like Self, but he’s tainted and likely won’t be pried loose of Kansas.

If Cal’s buyout doesn’t go down . . . maybe a high fat, high sodium diet is in order.

That man needs a prime rib and a cigar for dinner!!
Call Tom Hagen to make him an offer he can't refuse. Surely a guy named Calipari would understand that clearly.

I just hope everyone can keep
their head during these challenging days, especially including all the thoroughbreds at Keeneland, and surrounding countryside.
There are plenty of horses who could be sacrificed if necessary. Especially the ones I have relentlessly bet on.

• Haha
Maybe this summer LeBron will finally be ready to be coached by Cal & order the Lakers to make it happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT