ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Purdue Tidbit

Every player joined the team as Freshman, with the exception of senior transfer Lance Jones. Matt Painter has taken a total of 2 transfers in the past 4 years.

In the age of the portal, NIL (and OADs for a certain program) how thrilling it must be to get to know the players, watch them develop and progress, and see success for the TEAM your coach built; rather than have a band of "basketball mercenaries".

Not saying anything else about it, just that Purdue fans must be loving it and I'm honestly jealous

They’re also an oddly homegrown roster with most of their players being local Indiana kids (although not the most important player, Edey). That’s something else that used to be common, but now is quite rare.

It’s kind of a throwback roster, constructed the way teams used to be built instead of how they are now. Guys who stay four years, only one transfer, a local recruiting focus. In this new era, this might be the last time we see such a roster contend for the title.

Another tidbit.... they have a guy who is the Yao Ming of college basketball

Another tidbit.... they have a guy who is the Yao Ming of college basketball
Another tidbit... FDU as a 16 seed knocked them out of the tournament as a 1 seed.
Our recent showings have been abysmal... but at least we don't have that hanging on our heads.

Reactions: preacherfan
Remember when we smoked wake that year they had a similarly dominant Tom Duncan? Would have loved to stop Purdue like that this year…instead I am cheering on nc state…getting angry now. …

Every player joined the team as Freshman, with the exception of senior transfer Lance Jones. Matt Painter has taken a total of 2 transfers in the past 4 years.

In the age of the portal, NIL (and OADs for a certain program) how thrilling it must be to get to know the players, watch them develop and progress, and see success for the TEAM your coach built; rather than have a band of "basketball mercenaries".

Not saying anything else about it, just that Purdue fans must be loving it and I'm honestly jealous
Exactly, and that’s what I want again as a Kentucky fan. If other programs can have that, we can too.

Reactions: KFuqua
Exactly, and that’s what I want again as a Kentucky fan. If other programs can have that, we can too.

Would you also accept losing twice in the first round to get a mature team in the 3rd and 4th year? That is a serious question, by the way.

Purdue is reaping the rewards of having a collegiate unicorn at center and working through him. The only other viable player on that roster is Braden Smith. This is the Zach Edey show. He’s making Painter look really smart.
Purdue went to the Elite 8 in 2019 and lost in OT to eventual champs Virginia - without Edey, of course. Really dynamic offense with Edwards and Cline

Painter can coach. And his assistants are COACHES, not simply recruiters. If Cal were to leave and Painter was to come (would NEVER happen), BBN wouldn't be able to complain about Xs and Os anymore. Painter is one of the best. He made some significant changes in 2016 that have really paid off, but of course all the attention goes t othe upsets he's fallen to in the NCAAT

Painter has been solid his entire time at Purdue. This is his first Final Four (thanks in large part to Edey), but to act like they've been a joke is just silly talk.
In 19 seasons at his alma mater, Painter has had:

15 NCAAT appearances (and 1 where there was no tournament)
5 regular season championships
7 Sweet Sixteens
2 Elite Eights
1 Final Four

69% winning percentage.

before coaching, he was in the movie "Blue Chips"

and imho looks older than his age of 53.

I’m sure Painter is a solid coach. That’s said, I don’t think they are a top 3 seed or in the FF without Edey. Sometimes that’s just how it goes, one guy is the difference in success or not.

Does that make cow Pattie a good coach because he won a title? I don’t think so. Cow Pattie is a terrible coach.
I did not say or imply any of that so maybe you are arguing with imaginary statements or implications.

I post here every day and it's been a long time since I've been a defender of Calipari or Barnhart or anybody at UK other than players.

I’m sure Painter is a solid coach. That’s said, I don’t think they are a top 3 seed or in the FF without Edey. Sometimes that’s just how it goes, one guy is the difference in success or not.
Well, that’s hardly unusual. Pretty much every team that makes a deep run has at least one indispensable player.

Has there ever been a champion that didn’t have at least one guy that they wouldn’t have won it all without?

Well, that’s hardly unusual. Pretty much every team that makes a deep run has at least one indispensable player.

Has there ever been a champion that didn’t have at least one guy that they wouldn’t have won it all without?

Yes but most teams seem to rotate that performance toward success. Meaning they have two or possibly three that bring them to a different level. One is down the other picks it up. With Purdue, all things work through Edey. He’s a different type of weapon. He is near impossible to defend well without fouling. He was fouled 20 times that didn’t get called. His size is the reason for those fouls. That’s the uncommon difference.

Often overlooked titbit: it's in W. Lafayette, Indiana.

If you've ever been there in the wintertime, you'd know that 1000 championships wouldn't be enough.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Would you be happy with 2 first round exits, a S16 and a FF in the 4th year? That is his record. Would most UK fans be happy to have a shot at a title once every 4 years or so? Serious question.
Beggers can't be choosers

He had a history of that...he'd done the same thing, although not in the tournament, with the '75 runner-up squad: Grevey, Connor, Flynn, Guyette, and I guess Robey? Played Givens and the bench until Jimmy Dan went to Hall on the bench and told him they'd learned their lesson
I was there at Freedom Hall when Jimmy Dan Scored 35 against Carolina!

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I was actually wondering what Zach's ethnicity was...his mom looks black. Maybe he's the next Jason Kidd and everybody can claim him?
His mom is daughter of Chinese immigrant. I went down whole Wikipedia rabbit hole one time

What would you have thought when they lost as a 1 seed to a 16?

I don’t know why you all pretend you’d enjoy these things..your minds have all been rotted, bc when we get a freshman if they don’t produce immediately you want them buried on the bench

Purdue is reaping the rewards of having a collegiate unicorn at center and working through him. The only other viable player on that roster is Braden Smith. This is the Zach Edey show. He’s making Painter look really smart.
Acting like he didn’t have Ivey who was a complete stud

I guess I don't understand why people are poo pooing Purdue. Painter has built a good program and is doing things in a way that I think almost every Kentucky fan would enjoy. Not overhyped rent-a-kids. Purdue is a pretty well built team, even with leaning on Edey. They play as a team, smart, and usually take care of the ball. I'm kinda surprised BBN hasn't kinda rallied behind them. Probably a state bias is my guess.
I’m with you. I just don’t get the Purdue or Painter hate .

I guess I don't understand why people are poo pooing Purdue. Painter has built a good program and is doing things in a way that I think almost every Kentucky fan would enjoy. Not overhyped rent-a-kids. Purdue is a pretty well built team, even with leaning on Edey. They play as a team, smart, and usually take care of the ball. I'm kinda surprised BBN hasn't kinda rallied behind them. Probably a state bias is my guess.
They're the one I'm rooting for, well not really rooting like I do for Kentucky, but one of the 4 will win and they'd be the one I'd want to win if it was my choice.

Would you also accept losing twice in the first round to get a mature team in the 3rd and 4th year? That is a serious question, by the way.
Yes I would - that would be better than what we’ve had over the last 4 years

Yes I would - that would be better than what we’ve had over the last 4 years

Agreed it is better than the last 4 years but those years were simply HORRIBLE! I think most of our fans want another Pitino and not another Tubby. Painter is more of a Tubby.

I bet none of these players are 5 stars on this Purdue team just goes to show what a great coach can do with players.
And/or that skill development, maturity and experience are more important than 5-star status.

The cowboys just cannot let it go. Listen to them in this thread. Taking shots at posters, they’ve got a rage inside that nobody buys it anymore and they just lash out at every team and everyone that they thing doesn’t comply. But they do it under cover because they’re cowards just like their guy.

It’s sick watching UK fans behave this way over who it’s over. In the 90’s they would have been ran out. You know who you are, please follow him away from this program when he goes.

Here’s a Purdue tidbit, once Edey is gone they’re going back to losing 12+ games a year. That’s what they were before Edey, and that’s what they will be once he’s gone.

They have one player scoring 40 of their 72 points.
26 of those 40 will be free throws.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT