ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Purdue Tidbit

Mar 29, 2024
Every player joined the team as Freshman, with the exception of senior transfer Lance Jones. Matt Painter has taken a total of 2 transfers in the past 4 years.

In the age of the portal, NIL (and OADs for a certain program) how thrilling it must be to get to know the players, watch them develop and progress, and see success for the TEAM your coach built; rather than have a band of "basketball mercenaries".

Not saying anything else about it, just that Purdue fans must be loving it and I'm honestly jealous

Every player joined the team as Freshman, with the exception of senior transfer Lance Jones. Matt Painter has taken a total of 2 transfers in the past 4 years.

In the age of the portal, NIL (and OADs for a certain program) how thrilling it must be to get to know the players, watch them develop and progress, and see success for the TEAM your coach built; rather than have a band of "basketball mercenaries".

Not saying anything else about it, just that Purdue fans must be loving it and I'm honestly jealous
Lance Jones coming in was a massive addition to them being the team they are. If they didn't land him and ran it back-they wouldn't have made it past last weekend. He's been able to space the floor, defend, and makes timely shots for them. When he's off, they are in tough games or lose.

Purdue is reaping the rewards of having a collegiate unicorn at center and working through him. The only other viable player on that roster is Braden Smith. This is the Zach Edey show. He’s making Painter look really smart.

No doubt. I'm sure having the B2B POY senior giant unicorn makes it all the more fun for em 🦄

Reactions: GermantownDawg

And lose as a 1 seed to a 16. You would have been on here asking for the coaches head

Reactions: preacherfan
Last time Purdue made the final 4 was in 1980 and they had a 7 footer then, Joe Barry Carroll. He was a good player. Most of the sports media was hoping for a UK vs Purdue game in the tourney. UK won the early season matchup 61 to 60. Bowie (freshman) going against Carroll a 2nd time. Problem was UK fell short that year.

Would you be happy with 2 first round exits, a S16 and a FF in the 4th year? That is his record. Would most UK fans be happy to have a shot at a title once every 4 years or so? Serious question.

And lose as a 1 seed to a 16. You would have been on here asking for the coaches head

Also lost to St Peters. If losing to St Peters in the first round is about as bad as a coach can get, what does it say about losing to that same team in the 3rd round? At least Painter could see that St Peters was a team on a roll.

Last time Purdue made the final 4 was in 1980 and they had a 7 footer then, Joe Barry Carroll. He was a good player. Most of the sports media was hoping for a UK vs Purdue game in the tourney. UK won the early season matchup 61 to 60. Bowie (freshman) going against Carroll a 2nd time. Problem was UK fell short that year.
JBH was a better coach than he got credit for.
3 final 4 's, 1 ntl c'ship and a nit c'ship.
Lost to St Johns in 85 after Kenny Walker got poked in the eye.
He held his own against Indiana too.

JBH was a better coach than he got credit for.
3 final 4 's, 1 ntl c'ship and a nit c'ship.
Lost to St Johns in 85 after Kenny Walker got poked in the eye.
He held his own against Indiana too.

I will never forget that 78 team struggling against Florida State and Hall starting the bench in the 2nd half. If that had gone south, I think Hall would have run out of the state. But we won and went on to win the title.

These kinds of threads are like the analyses when someone wins the $500 million lottery:

"The key is to live in a trailer park in Oklahoma and buy your ticket at 7pm on a Thursday after drinking six beers on your way home from work. You can't argue with success, and that's exactly how Delbert did it."

Four teams go to the Final Four every year, and when it isn't your team you can always look at them and say 'gee why aren't we getting a 7'4'' guy who stuck around four years, lost to a #16 seed, but with the help of favorable officiating is unstoppable (so far) this year?" Or maybe "why can't we go 9-11 in conference but then get on some bizarre hot streak and ride a guy who was a total unknown to the Final Four like NC State?" Or maybe, "What we need was a transfer like Grant Nelson who can have a fairly underwhelming year, but take over the most important game of the year and help us beat a #1 seed?"

It's always easy to see what succeeded after it does. And the same thing won't work next year, just like having the best freshmen in the country worked for a while (four FFs in five years) then didn't work as well.

Last edited:
These kinds of threads are like the analyses when someone wins the $500 million lottery:

"The key is to live in a trailer park in Oklahoma and buy your ticket at 7pm on a Thursday after drinking six beers on your way home from work. You can't argue with success, and that's exactly how Delbert did it."

Four teams go to the Final Four every year, and when it isn't your team you can always look at them and say 'gee why aren't we getting a 7'4'' guy who stuck around four years, lost to a #16 seed, but with the help of favorable officiating is unstoppable (so far) this year?" Or maybe "why can't we go 9-11 in conference but then get on some bizarre hot streak and ride a guy who was a total unknown to the Final FOur like NC State?" Or maybe, "What we need was a transfer like Grant Nelson who can have a fairly underwhelming year, but take over the most important game of the year and help us beat a #1 seed?"

It's always easy to see what succeeded after it does. And the same thing won't work next year, just like having the best freshmen in the country worked for a while (four FFs in five years) then didn't work as well.

Post of the day! Got a laugh out of the first 2 paragraphs.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55

Didn't see these posts when they lost to the 16 seed and 15 seed 2 of those 4 years.

If they make the title game and lose by double digits to uconn (likely outcome) then I guess OP would be pumped about being first loser.

Purdue is reaping the rewards of having a collegiate unicorn at center and working through him. The only other viable player on that roster is Braden Smith. This is the Zach Edey show. He’s making Painter look really smart.
He had over half of their points. If you shut down Edey, Purdue loses by 20

Reactions: bbncal02
OP, to your main point: I too can remember when we too enjoyed yhe experience of watching our freshmen grow and develop, to actually get to know them over 4 years. Then, SENIOR NIGHT!!! Man, I loved SN, but it was aslo a sad time, as we watched guys we knew and loved those 4 years run through the self likeness hoop on senior night.
; their parents there by their sides. Good times.

Four teams go to the Final Four every year, and when it isn't your team you can always look at them and say 'gee why aren't we getting a 7'4'' guy who stuck around four years, lost to a #16 seed, but with the help of favorable officiating is unstoppable (so far) this year?" Or maybe "why can't we go 9-11 in conference but then get on some bizarre hot streak and ride a guy who was a total unknown to the Final FOur like NC State?" Or maybe, "What we need was a transfer like Grant Nelson who can have a fairly underwhelming year, but take over the most important game of the year and help us beat a #1 seed?"

So why the need to shit on a thread thats having intelligent conversations in it?

Reactions: KFuqua

Literally lol-ed. Pretty much nailed it.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Here’s a Purdue tidbit, once Edey is gone they’re going back to losing 12+ games a year. That’s what they were before Edey, and that’s what they will be once he’s gone.

They have one player scoring 40 of their 72 points.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Another tidbit...neither the school nor the coach has won a championship.
Also, the last Purdue team to make the Final Four, in 1980, was coached by Kentuckian Lee Rose. One of the guards on the team was board 'favorite,' Kevin Stallings.

• Haha
Reactions: preacherfan
I bet none of these players are 5 stars on this Purdue team just goes to show what a great coach can do with players.

I will never forget that 78 team struggling against Florida State and Hall starting the bench in the 2nd half. If that had gone south, I think Hall would have run out of the state. But we won and went on to win the title.
He had a history of that...he'd done the same thing, although not in the tournament, with the '75 runner-up squad: Grevey, Connor, Flynn, Guyette, and I guess Robey? Played Givens and the bench until Jimmy Dan went to Hall on the bench and told him they'd learned their lesson

People forget or choose to ignore that Painter was a fluke shot away from making the FF in 2019. Their elite 8 loss to VA is still crazy to think about. And that was a completely different team and style of play with Carsen Edwards being the dynamic player on that roster. A 5-10 guard. And the Sweet 16 team from 2 years ago relied on Jaden Ivey not Edey.

It’s taken time to get to the FF but his approach has kept the Boilers consistently strong. And I think he keeps them in the top 10 range for the foreseeable future.

People forget or choose to ignore that Painter was a fluke shot away from making the FF in 2019. Their elite 8 loss to VA is still crazy to think about. And that was a completely different team and style of play with Carsen Edwards being the dynamic player on that roster. A 5-10 guard. And the Sweet 16 team from 2 years ago relied on Jaden Ivey not Edey.

It’s taken time to get to the FF but his approach has kept the Boilers consistently strong. And I think he keeps them in the top 10 range for the foreseeable future.

Oh so we are allowing what ifs for close elite 8 losses now. Guess UK has had about 10 of those 2019 situations over the years.

I guess I don't understand why people are poo pooing Purdue. Painter has built a good program and is doing things in a way that I think almost every Kentucky fan would enjoy. Not overhyped rent-a-kids. Purdue is a pretty well built team, even with leaning on Edey. They play as a team, smart, and usually take care of the ball. I'm kinda surprised BBN hasn't kinda rallied behind them. Probably a state bias is my guess.

Yep. And they will be very pedestrian once he’s gone.
He scored 2 points in the 2nd half against Utah State and the rest of Purdue scored 55. Against Gonzaga he had 27 of their 80 points but other guys hit 9 3s.

2 years before he got to Purdue they played in the Elite 8 and were a fluke possession away from beating VA. They were a 3 seed and made the Sweet 16 2 years ago when he was still very raw.

Purdue will be fine after he’s gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT