ADVERTISEMENT

If you're watching the NC game

yep..... whats your point though? he wouldnt leave UConn even for 30 million a year after winning back to back titles. no one is passing up the chance at a 3peat
I haven't really researched it, but how many does he have coming back?

Not a fan of his personality, but the man is definitely an elite coach.

We would be fortunate to get him.

He has to see the writing on the wall that the Big East is not a viable conference, at least not in the long-term. A compelling pitch can be made.

Landing Hurley vs landing Drew is the kind of thing that separates a great AD from a mediocre one.

Not a fan of his personality, but the man is definitely an elite coach.

We would be fortunate to get him.

He has to see the writing on the wall that the Big East is not a viable conference, at least not in the long-term. A compelling pitch can be made.

Landing Hurley vs landing Drew is the kind of thing that separates a great AD from a mediocre one.
Where would hiring Billy D fit?

Reactions: deplion
His game plan has worked perfectly.

Pretty much let edey get his and hack the shit out of him and out him on the line ever so often to throw him off. His guards are so superior to the scrubs at Purdue that he knows it’s an easy lock

Reactions: cathouse
yep..... whats your point though? he wouldnt leave UConn even for 30 million a year after winning back to back titles. no one is passing up the chance at a 3peat
And he’s going to live off of this success for future recruiting like Saban did in football. Talent keeps coming cause of the championships.

I haven't really researched it, but how many does he have coming back?
I believe he loses all 5 of the main guys. Newton, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan and Castle. And Diarra is a senior, but I'm not sure if he has a covid year left or if that crap is finally over with.

UConn will give him a fat raise, lock him in for another 5 years and put a huge buyout (probably $20 million) in that extended contract about a week from now. Stealing a coach away from his program after winning back to back Titles would be a coup of EPIC proportions. Pure fantasy.

I believe he loses all 5 of the main guys. Newton, Spencer, Karaban, Clingan and Castle. And Diarra is a senior, but I'm not sure if he has a covid year left or if that crap is finally over with.
Hmm, so a three peat would be very difficult. That makes me feel better.

What makes me hesitant about a Drew hire is that Mitch likes him. According to some on here Mitch had to be forced to consider Cal. And the BCG hire was about as meh of a hire as you can get. That’s not mentioning Mitch somehow not realizing BCG was a raging drunk.

Last edited:
When starters we’re introduced there were just two who have no eligibility left. Two are Sophs.

Why do you think he would shun the school he just won back to back titles at to go to UK? How do you think that would play out? are you capable of taking your bias towards UK out of the equation?
I really don't think he will now.
We should have hired him 2 years ago when it was obvious Cal was finished here.

He was an easy get before he won that first NC and it was obvious he was a great up and coming coach who was driven to succeed.

That ship has sailed, but you still have to make him an offer that makes him AND Connecticut sweat him saying no.

You never know what you can get if you don't try.

Don’t think it will happen. Do you have a problem with Drew?
Not a problem, but he doesn't excite me, and I think he would be a disappointing hire.

Doesn't run a great offense, and I don't think his personality is the best fit for the job.

Looking like he may be the choice though, so I'm definitely hoping I'm wrong!!

Uconn boosters include ESPN big wigs and fortune 500 companies big wigs in the boston/north east area. Of course they will find the money to come close enough to 10 million to get him to stay.
So... Why didn't they last summer? When they extended him after winning the first title?

UConn will give him a fat raise, lock him in for another 5 years and put a huge buyout (probably $20 million) in that extended contract about a week from now. Stealing a coach away from his program after bonuses back to back Titles would be a coup of EPIC proportions. Pure fantasy.
Just signed a new contract I think. Something like 6 million loaded with bonuses. Think between e8, ff and NC he capped off 3+ million worth last night.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Just signed a new contract I think. Something like 6 million loaded with bonuses. Think between e8, ff and NC he capped off 3+ million worth last night.
Yeah, he might make more at UK in base salary but, I feel like UConn could easily match that if they are OK paying him nearly $9 million (with bonuses). Recruiting would probably be a little easier at UK and with the SEC becoming the primary conference focus on ESPN, there would be a bit more audience. But, honestly how long will it be before the NBA comes calling on Dan Hurley?

So they only want him for $10M if somebody else wanted him for $10M?

Sounds like my dogs arguing over bones.
You almost get how negotiations work......... and then the realization slipped past your brain cell there. If no one was offering him 7 or more million last off season, WTF would Uconn just throw 10 million at what they could pay 5.5 million for?

i mean didnt cal start at like 6 million a year here? then nba jobs offered so Mitch gave him raises, then finally UCLA offered him a lot so Mitch gave him the absurd contract that put us in a bind. So according to your logic, Mitch would have just given him the lifetime type contract 10 years ago before UCLA came knocking ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT