ADVERTISEMENT

If you were to move to another country , Where and Why ? What

Costa Rica because of views like this....

los-suenos-beaches-img-1.jpg
And tropics with an easy drive.

412305806_774203168068622_1301222569189996927_n.jpg

My wife and I saw the Swiss Alps on an extended vacation with friends. Switzerland was #1 on my bucket list and it far-exceeded my already-high expectations. Everywhere you look in Switzerland is a postcard view. We went in early September, after the vacation season.
Spent some time there myself. Stood at the base of Mt. Eiger, awesome sight. Was there spending a week traveling during Christmas time one year (mid 80's) and the ice sculptures in and around most towns were fantastic.

Reactions: JDHoss and megablue
And tropics with an easy drive.

412305806_774203168068622_1301222569189996927_n.jpg
What do you mean easy to drive? Costa Rica has terrible roads. Holes everywhere. It takes 15 hours to cross the country the size of West Virginia. And the government isn’t gonna reinvest your gringo dollars into it. They are gonna take it and use to grease their buddies. The infrastructure as a whole is a nightmare. Sometimes the water goes out for days. Gringos can’t leave quick enough after they come. Colombia or Panama is a better option. Nicaragua if you’re adventurous.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: chroix and vhcat70
Here’s a normal day in Costa Rica.

Group chat whatsappp
Disculpen se fue el agua ???

Jefe
Están en un proceso de administrar el consumo , y como recomendación es bueno tener tanque de reserva para este tipo de situaciones . Eso nos evita depender solo del flujo de agua exterior .

You ready to live like that? Go to Portugal too many gringo here already and if you come thinking to bring gringo culture you’ll be run out quick. I see these clowns bring their giant hummers and gas guzzlers to pay 7$ a gallon. They come to speak English and suffer when the ticos pretend not to know English. It’s massive comedy sometimes. Especially since COVID. You want good roads go to Panama

Here’s a normal day in Costa Rica.

Group chat whatsappp
Disculpen se fue el agua ???

Jefe
Están en un proceso de administrar el consumo , y como recomendación es bueno tener tanque de reserva para este tipo de situaciones . Eso nos evita depender solo del flujo de agua exterior .

You ready to live like that? Go to Portugal too many gringo here already and if you come thinking to bring gringo culture you’ll be run out quick. I see these clowns bring their giant hummers and gas guzzlers to pay 7$ a gallon. They come to speak English and suffer when the ticos pretend not to know English. It’s massive comedy sometimes. Especially since COVID. You want good roads go to Panama
Why do you live in Costa Rica if you dont mind me asking?

I've been in Paris, western France, and Italy. If you're a history buff... lots to like...

Italy can be very inexpensive if you stay out of the tourist areas... and they have the best food in the world.

No interest whatsoever in beaches... they all look the same lol... and I lose interest in anything above 80 degrees.

I've been in Paris, western France, and Italy. If you're a history buff... lots to like...

Italy can be very inexpensive if you stay out of the tourist areas... and they have the best food in the world.

No interest whatsoever in beaches... they all look the same lol... and I lose interest in anything above 80 degrees.
I’m with you on hot weather and beaches.
I enjoy ocean views in small doses, of course, but do not need to sit on a beach for them.

Reactions: WTF Cat
Ireland: great beer, beautiful landscape, friendly people, and sane politics. Unfortunately, the weather sucks. Iceland: beautiful country, great seafood, and the people are a lot of fun. Unfortunately, no sun in the winter is rough.

Australia for me. Wife and I honeymooned there for 2 weeks after we got married 16 years ago. Amazing country and the nicest people.
I used to think this was the option, but that changed after the Covid lockdowns that they took to the extreme. It was great before that, but not sure anymore. Their gun laws aren't that great either.

I would probably stay far away from any European country. Someone's always in a war over there it seems and if it gets bad enough, they all will be forced to be involved. The immigration system is also destroying Europe. Plus screw the EU.

There's no place in Asia, Africa, South America, Central America, or Canada that I'd choose either. Maybe some island that's out in the middle of nowhere away from everyone else. I'm just hoping this country gets it's sh*t together and remains the place where everyone wants to live.

It’s bad enough with people running this country here, but I know there’s still a slimmer of hope. I’ve seen the psychopaths running this other countries the past few years and I’d be really terrified to live most anywhere today

• Haha
Reactions: Nightwish84
Why do you live in Costa Rica if you dont mind me asking?
Many reasons first was an opportunity to work with the women’s national team. Ultimately though the primary reason was the education system in the states. we didn’t want to put our kids through high school there. Now they are fluent in Spanish on an academic level, cultured, well traveled. They are In college here in CR which is very inexpensive but highly accredited saving us tens of thousands. Nature was another enormous reason because we are a scuba family. The family centric culture. Lots of reasons but our kids are the priority. My son is very happy his tica girlfriend is a smoke show, well educated, good family. So many reasons but my kids thank us all the time. My sons best friend in the US died about a year ago from fentenayl laced on a joint. We do not regret our decision at all.

Many reasons first was an opportunity to work with the women’s national team. Ultimately though the primary reason was the education system in the states. we didn’t want to put our kids through high school there. Now they are fluent in Spanish on an academic level, cultured, well traveled. They are In college here in CR which is very inexpensive but highly accredited saving us tens of thousands. Nature was another enormous reason because we are a scuba family. The family centric culture. Lots of reasons but our kids are the priority. My son is very happy his tica girlfriend is a smoke show, well educated, good family. So many reasons but my kids thank us all the time. My sons best friend in the US died about a year ago from fentenayl laced on a joint. We do not regret our decision at all.
the us is getting very bad.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Yep, the foothills of the Himalayas are in Thailand, just like the foothills of the Rocky Mountains are in Georgia.
Perhaps you should research this a bit before looking stupid. Let's see if you're big enough to admit your mistake.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: chroix
Perhaps you should research this a bit before looking stupid. Let's see if you're big enough to admit your mistake.

You gotta lose that chip on your shoulder, man.

He's almost certainly being sarcastic. That poster is almost always making snarky posts

The path that Britian is on is not a good one.
While in Venice Italy a few days ago I had a conversation with a Brit from Manchester who was the personal pilot for the Sultan of Brunei. When he retired recently he chose to leave England and relocate to Italy mainly due to the influx of immigrants. "Britain is not Britain anymore" was his exact quote. He said the only parts of Britain worth visiting anymore were Cornwall and Scotland. Said he'll never go back.

You gotta lose that chip on your shoulder, man.

He's almost certainly being sarcastic. That poster is almost always making snarky posts
He probably isn't. Its a long way from the Himalayan range itself to the Thai highlands. That said, the ranges there mostly connect back to the Himalayas.

I used to think this was the option, but that changed after the Covid lockdowns that they took to the extreme. It was great before that, but not sure anymore. Their gun laws aren't that great either.

I would probably stay far away from any European country. Someone's always in a war over there it seems and if it gets bad enough, they all will be forced to be involved. The immigration system is also destroying Europe. Plus screw the EU.

There's no place in Asia, Africa, South America, Central America, or Canada that I'd choose either. Maybe some island that's out in the middle of nowhere away from everyone else. I'm just hoping this country gets it's sh*t together and remains the place where everyone wants to live.
It’s bad enough with people running this country here, but I know there’s still a slimmer of hope. I’ve seen the psychopaths running this other countries the past few years and I’d be really terrified to live most anywhere today
One guy takes the question so seriously that he's worried about gun laws and wants to stay away from Europe because they're always at war with each other (?) and immigration is apparently destroying all of Europe and the other guy is terrified to live in most of the world and doesn't seem to like the US now either.

Thanks for the paranoia, fellas! Enjoy being scared of everything. Merry Christmas and maybe in 2024 less cable news and less social media would do you two well.

One guy takes the question so seriously that he's worried about gun laws and wants to stay away from Europe because they're always at war with each other (?) and immigration is apparently destroying all of Europe and the other guy is terrified to live in most of the world and doesn't seem to like the US now either.

Thanks for the paranoia, fellas! Enjoy being scared of everything. Merry Christmas and maybe in 2024 less cable news and less social media would do you two well.

All I thought when I read those posts was “oh boy, those guys watch the “news” “

Denmark or the Netherlands. I've spent more time in the Netherlands but Copenhagen in the summer...

He probably isn't. Its a long way from the Himalayan range itself to the Thai highlands. That said, the ranges there mostly connect back to the Himalayas.

I made unwarranted assumptions. Still, you'd be well served to work on that chip.

• Love
All I thought when I read those posts was “oh boy, those guys watch the “news” “
I saw it as a fun topic. I love the idea of having a cabin in a small town in a place like Finland. I've grown to like chillier climates and it sounds peaceful. I'm sure taxes are sky high but it's not like I'm actually making the move. It's a very American way of approaching the question though, ie first I want to know the gun laws and their immigration policies because guns good, immigrants bad. Oh, and war war war because that's all some media outlets show you unless it's Christmas morning and you see a short clip of a baby deer hiccupping. Ah well, it's like the topic of Chicago. Sure, I wish they'd fix their damn issues but you're watching too much news if you're terrified to enter the city, as if it's Escape From New York.

When I answered the question, my first considerations were weather/climate, natural beauty/beaches, fishing and other outdoor opportunities. If I were really serious about moving, I'd look for a politically stable nation with decent healthcare and dental care facilities, and to an extent, one where English was one of the languages spoken.

There is a guy that I know through work (he's retired now too) that spends the winter and spring in Morocco. His wife is Moroccan, and they bought a place close to her parents, somewhere close to the coast. They love it and he said if it weren't for the kids and grandkids, they'd consider living there all year.

Reactions: RunninRichie

That part is actually true. Before the end of WW2 Europe was averaging a land war like every 8 years.

Prolly Montana. I have places I would love to visit...but never live. I will stick with this country till it goes up in flames.

Nowwwww if I had fu throw away billionaire type money I might go wild in Dubai for a while

Reactions: mailman85
I spent a lot of time in Vancouver back in the 80s. Job stuff while living in Seattle. I could be happy living there. Nice people. Beautiful city. Great place for outdoor oriented people.

I looked at topo maps before I made my post. Yeah, the mountains in Chiang Mai are connected to mountains in western Laos and eastern Myanmar, which are then connected to mountains in southern China. which are then connected to the eastern most Himalayas if you take a hard westward turn.

So that's enough to call them foothills of the Himalayas? Because, in your own words, they "mostly connect back to the Himalayas?" I suppose, if you want to be quite generous. Just like I said - that's about like saying the mtns in Georgia are foothills of the Rockies. The wikipedia articles says the mtns of northern Thailand could be considered Himalayan foothills. I say it's quite a stretch.

Maps I googled for Himalayas and/or Himalayan foothills don't get anywhere near Thailand.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...5983159!4d83.9310039!16zL20vMDlnbHc?entry=ttu

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT