ADVERTISEMENT

If you were to move to another country , Where and Why ? What

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
Politically it doesnt exactly line up with my views but I've visited Mexico for 25 years .. NOT Cancun , but a small less populated island . I could live there , hurricanes are a terrible threat in the fall usually but the year round pleasant climate is tempting . The climate and friendliness of the people would be the driving force. I'm sure there are places in Europe I could stand , politically , does it matter that the country would align with your views ? what countries are the most conservative , and the most liberal ? I'd guess France and Canada are quite liberal ? I could summers in Canada 100% ( fam has had property there for near 30 years) Thoughts ?

Costa Rica because of views like this....

los-suenos-beaches-img-1.jpg

Australia/New Zealand probably #1. UK maybe but the weather is an obstacle. Spain/Portugal - cheaper to live there and, in many places, at least some English is spoken. I can learn Spanish/Portuguese enough to get by in a few months - will never be fluent. I hear Prague is very beautiful, affordable and, (notwithstanding the news today) is safe and loves Americans.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Preferably somewhere tropical or subtropical and out of the hurricane/typhoon belt or at least the outer edge.

* Seychelles
* Canary Islands
* Aruba
* Barbados
* New Zealand
* Portugal
* Monaco
* Spain
* Bermuda (hurricanes can be a problem)
* Tahiti
* Thailand
* Australia
* New Caledonia
* Azores

I took my R@R from Viet Nam in Australia and loved it, but I think it is to woke for my tastes these days.

Whenever a question like this pops up, politics never comes to mind. It's also hilarious that we (as an American society) would need to be surrounded by others who feel the same politically even though the move would be to another country. I love America but we truly are the one country that would have an American citizen visit or move elsewhere and then say with utter surprise, "look at all these foreigners!"

Mine would be somewhere like Finland. Calm, quiet, peaceful, small yet seems private. Finland is just over there never in anyone's way, never embarrassing themselves.

Wife and I honeymooned to Seychelles. Possibly the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. So probably there if I could live the life we did for two weeks while there.

Went to Italy this summer. Lake Garda was possibly as beautiful as Seychelles. So that would be a runner as well.

Costa Rica because of views like this....

los-suenos-beaches-img-1.jpg
Forget it. There is no place like that in the country. The beaches are awful here. And if you have to come go live in limón. That’s really a pic from Nicaragua btw. The beaches here are more like toxic waste dumps.

Preferably somewhere tropical or subtropical and out of the hurricane/typhoon belt or at least the outer edge.

* Seychelles
* Canary Islands
* Aruba
* Barbados
* New Zealand
* Portugal
* Monaco
* Spain
* Bermuda (hurricanes can be a problem)
* Tahiti
* Thailand
* Australia
* New Caledonia
* Azores
AZORES are KILLER !!!

Reactions: JDHoss
Costa Rica, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Switzerland. Have visited all. On Aruba for a week ending now and finding it too confining, so smaller islands out. Oz and NZ lost me with their severe covid responses.

I would say England cause their healthcare system makes more sense and their accents are funny, but none of their food is properly seasoned so in that case, I'll pick Canada just to be boring.

If it's economy wasn't a basket case, I would be all in on Argentina. It's beautiful and very diverse having everything from glaciers to deserts, jungles, plains and mountains. The weather and food are very good and English is widely spoken. I would probably pick the area near Mendoza which is their main wine growing region right next to the Andes mountains. The lake district (where many Germans settled near Bariloche) would be my second choice. It reminds me of Switzerland.

Last edited:
A lot of like-minded members here. I would also put New Zealand or Australia at the top of the list for the same reason - climate, government, English speaking. Costa Rica is beautiful but you probably will need to learn some Spanish. The islands are nice but you can get Island fever. Belize is another possibility.

Reactions: JDHoss
Denmark. Spent some time deep sea fishing when I visited a few times while stationed in Germany. Spent some time at the clubs there during the nights when not fishing. Ratio of women to men while out was about 7-1. Towns where clean, nice, and quiet. Beautiful scenery as well.

Just recently went to Europe. We hit London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Bruges. Bruges was our favorite city, I’d retire there. But I’d like to see Austria and Germany and the Alps before I make a final decision.
Costa Rica is REALLY hot and the beaches that I saw there (Tamarindo) were fine but not spectacular. I also thought the cost of living would be a bit lower but it didn’t seem to be.

Just recently went to Europe. We hit London, Paris, Amsterdam, and Bruges. Bruges was our favorite city, I’d retire there. But I’d like to see Austria and Germany and the Alps before I make a final decision.
Costa Rica is REALLY hot and the beaches that I saw there (Tamarindo) were fine but not spectacular. I also thought the cost of living would be a bit lower but it didn’t seem to be.
My wife and I saw the Swiss Alps on an extended vacation with friends. Switzerland was #1 on my bucket list and it far-exceeded my already-high expectations. Everywhere you look in Switzerland is a postcard view. We went in early September, after the vacation season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT