ADVERTISEMENT

If you were to move to another country , Where and Why ? What

Not sure how anyone could answer with a place they’ve never been to. Yeah there are lots of places I’d like to visit, but would need to go there at least once to say I’d want to live there.
So that narrows down the list for me to 11. But I’ve enjoyed all of my trips (work or vacation) to foreign countries. I guess the easiest (cheapest) to retire in would be Belize.

I looked at topo maps before I made my post. Yeah, the mountains in Chiang Mai are connected to mountains in western Laos and eastern Myanmar, which are then connected to mountains in southern China. which are then connected to the eastern most Himalayas if you take a hard westward turn.

So that's enough to call them foothills of the Himalayas? Because, in your own words, they "mostly connect back to the Himalayas?" I suppose, if you want to be quite generous. Just like I said - that's about like saying the mtns in Georgia are foothills of the Rockies. The wikipedia articles says the mtns of northern Thailand could be considered Himalayan foothills. I say it's quite a stretch.

Maps I googled for Himalayas and/or Himalayan foothills don't get anywhere near Thailand.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...5983159!4d83.9310039!16zL20vMDlnbHc?entry=ttu

There

Last edited:
Reactions: BeaveUKGT
Agreed, Vancouver is beautiful but very expensive. Real estate prices are incredibly high due to a lot of speculation from Asia.

Actually, that’s most of Canada in general in the big cities. Their housing woes and affordability is more severe than the states, there’s a few towns like Winnipeg some smaller towns in central Canada that are slightly more affordable but Canada’s problems with inflation and housing costs/shortages are really bad.

Reactions: entropy13
Whenever a question like this pops up, politics never comes to mind. It's also hilarious that we (as an American society) would need to be surrounded by others who feel the same politically even though the move would be to another country. I love America but we truly are the one country that would have an American citizen visit or move elsewhere and then say with utter surprise, "look at all these foreigners!"

Mine would be somewhere like Finland. Calm, quiet, peaceful, small yet seems private. Finland is just over there never in anyone's way, never embarrassing themselves.
Never embarrasses themselves… politically? 🤦‍♂️

I enjoyed the Dordogne valley of France. Could see living there. Would like to visit northern Italy. From what I have seen, that seems like a place I would like.

Scandinavia would be a place to visit, but I like my days and nights to be more equal in length year-round. Not sure I could get used to that. New Zealand would be intriguing. Nice mountains.

That part is actually true. Before the end of WW2 Europe was averaging a land war like every 8 years.
What year are we currently living in?

I am mainly joshing a couple posters who seemed a tad paranoid about the world. We'd all have our reasons for making a move to another country. I believe one I was joshing said he'd never move to Canada. Now maybe it's chillier weather or something but what's wrong with Toronto for instance? Throwing Canada under the bus seems random. Of course I'm sure there are Canadians who'd say, "Those Americans seem pretty angry and crazy all the time...not living there!" Good thread topic though.

Reactions: RunninRichie
What year are we currently living in?

I am mainly joshing a couple posters who seemed a tad paranoid about the world. We'd all have our reasons for making a move to another country. I believe one I was joshing said he'd never move to Canada. Now maybe it's chillier weather or something but what's wrong with Toronto for instance? Throwing Canada under the bus seems random. Of course I'm sure there are Canadians who'd say, "Those Americans seem pretty angry and crazy all the time...not living there!" Good thread topic though.
Lol, there's currently a massive land war in Ukraine right now. But yeah point stands about the uneasyness about moving to Europe due to war.

Lol, there's currently a massive land war in Ukraine right now. But yeah point stands about the uneasyness about moving to Europe due to war.
I found this list of all the wars and conflicts just since WW2. A whole lot more if you go back before that as well.

As you mentioned, the war in Ukraine is going on now. That could easily spread to many other countries with the support they are giving to the Ukraine. WW1 and 2 were both fought throughout Europe (other places as well). It wouldn't be surprising to expect WW3 there as well. It likely would also spread to the Middle East, Africa, and Asia. We've been lucky with our location keeping us out of conflicts by foreign powers on the American mainland, but unfortunately, we have millions of invaders crossing our borders now. A conflict here is probably inevitable.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I enjoyed the Dordogne valley of France. Could see living there. Would like to visit northern Italy. From what I have seen, that seems like a place I would like.

Scandinavia would be a place to visit, but I like my days and nights to be more equal in length year-round. Not sure I could get used to that. New Zealand would be intriguing. Nice mountains.
Scandinavia is great, very picturesque and scenic although Oslo is probably one of the most expensive cities I’ve ever visited. We did a cruise up the Baltic Sea from Copenhagen and then hit up Oslo during the last leg of the trip. Glad that I saw St. Petersburg before Russia went batshit crazy. We went during May and it didn’t get dark on some nights till 11:30 or later.

Northern Italy - highly recommend. Very easy access to train rides to the Swiss Alps near Milan\Lake Como. If you go, make sure Florence, Milan, and the Alps to the north are on the itinerary. Quite striking how Milan is different from Rome in some ways. The Alps are one of those mountain ranges that stay in remembrance forever.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Prague is awesome, and the women 🔥
We went to the Paradise Latin in Paris for our 35th anniversary.....we were seated next to two young ladies that had met up to celebrate one of them getting married soon......they went to college together.........they ended up drinking our bottle of champagne and half of our wine.....the bride to be was a drop dead gorgeous blond dressed in red from head to toe......she was from Prague......the other woman was from London......also an eyeful.......they got more than tipsy and we had one heck of a time......

Reactions: bcw1029
England........my daughter and her family was stationed at RAF bases over there for 14-1/2 of their 17 yrs in the Air Force.......I have been there many times and if I was to relocate out of the USA.........

I’ve lived in Northern Ontario, Toronto, Central Kentucky, and Manila. Of these I must say I enjoy Kentucky the most. While northern Ontario is beautiful, the winters are murder. Toronto is a great city but too big and the traffic is miserable. Manila was nice and money went very far, even had a full time driver, cook/maid, and a live in nanny, but it’s incredibly polluted and quite hot year round.

Kentucky has a decent climate, Canada is an easy drive, and I just like the people in Lexington.

Thailand, the island of Koh Samui to be exact. VERY affordable, friendly and welcoming locals and very good healthcare. Thailand has everything from the foothills of the Himalayas to tropical beaches to tropical islands.
I would go to Phi Phi Don over on the west coast, although either sounds fantastic.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
My wife and I spent a week in Scotland this summer, and by the time we left we were talking about buying a second or retirement home there. Real estate prices outside Edinburgh aren't outrageous, and I actually like haggis. However, the immigration laws are stricter than other places we'd consider. As an American you can stay up to 6 months out of every 12, but getting permanent residency is pretty tough.

My ex SIL (still stay in contact) went to New Zealand on vacation 7-8 years ago and ended up moving there with her kids, and establishing permanent residency.

My ex BIL (also still stay in contact) and his wife moved from San Francisco to Amsterdam before Covid, and now live in Portugal.

My wife was excited about Costa Rica but after reading some serious negatives about crime etc. we're less enthusiastic.

We have 6 adult kids, three of them will make it fine but the other three are likely to need help to survive out in the world, so lately we've been looking at buying property in trust for them to ensure they always have a place to live (we'd like to not have them living with us the rest of our lives, but close so we can help when needed is good). This is probably the biggest barrier to actually doing more than travel abroad.

Many reasons first was an opportunity to work with the women’s national team. Ultimately though the primary reason was the education system in the states. we didn’t want to put our kids through high school there. Now they are fluent in Spanish on an academic level, cultured, well traveled. They are In college here in CR which is very inexpensive but highly accredited saving us tens of thousands. Nature was another enormous reason because we are a scuba family. The family centric culture. Lots of reasons but our kids are the priority. My son is very happy his tica girlfriend is a smoke show, well educated, good family. So many reasons but my kids thank us all the time. My sons best friend in the US died about a year ago from fentenayl laced on a joint. We do not regret our decision at all.
You’re probably wanted for something in the US. Glad you had the funds for an exit plan.

• Haha
Reactions: mailman85
Granada. Lovely modern town. Soaked in history. Great food and wine.

Agree with kritikalcat about Edinburgh.

If I were younger, Copenhagen. The homiest big city I've ever been in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT