ADVERTISEMENT

If you were the OC, what would you call? I say it would be tough with issues we have.

Can this group of linemen show growth in the next 12 months?

I c/n remember if we get Manning back, but looking at overall HS rankings, if they directly correlated to college production, very few of our current linemen had resumes as modest Bunchy Stallings and others who were drafted and/or made AA teams.

The failure of our (now) average 4 Star talent on O-line is simply shocking.

Good question. Jager is faltering. Cox is disappointing. Horsey and flax are both guards playing tackle but doing better than I expected after the Iowa game. Manning is meh but probably played the best of the bunch.

The only thing that gives me hope is how far horsey and flax came after the Iowa game. They both struggled to even slow down the Iowa de and they're serviceable this year. If they can show that much improvement, maybe coaching is there after all.

Next year I think we need to go wohlabough, horsey, Wilson, Burton, Buford. We have to hope some young guys are coming along because Goodwin looks like a long, long way away. Like two more years away. His legs are abnormally small and he carries a ton of weight in his stomach. If he ever lives up to his status, he will need to get Uber serious about nutrition and conditioning.

Finally if we get a heady distributor at QB it could also make a world of difference

When you have a offensive line as bad as ours, What can you do as a OC. Coen had a super strong running game to lean on, and because of that had a play action game where his quarterback had enough time for deeper routes to get open. Everything else was a screen to Robinson and then the magic would happen that was Wandale show. I was talking with some friends this weekend…… if you were the OC what would you run.

1. They are trying the running game like we have in the past….. but it’s deffenitly not as good with our Oline issues.
2. Typically the QB don’t have enough time for longer routes to
3. Screen plays….. we do our share of them
4. Short passing game is really all we got because of our Oline. Defensive coordinators are smart these days. They are setting on those plays I would think.
5. I love Levis…… but he won’t run the ball like he did last year. In my opinion, that was part of his game that made him so good. Very few effective mobile QB can have success without the threat of running. To be a drop back passer only, you better Be a special kind of talent with a good Oline in front of you. That why so many people have went to the somewhat mobile QB’s in college and straying to be NFL.

All I am saying is that it would be tough to be the OC right now for UK. I am don’t know what I think about Scag at this point. I do think Oline coach has to go. Just have not seen much improvement out of this young group.

I don’t think many people understand how important your Oline is. It’s the foundation for your home. We have taken great Oline play for granite. Stoops has had a lot of success here because of our past OLines. Hell, we had a guy (LB), who couldn’t even pass hardly and we still had effective offense, because our Oline controlled the line of scrimmage. I truly feel Stoops understand this. I think he will hit the portal this off season and put together a good foundation for us with a better Oline coach. That is if he has some NIL money to spend$$

Stoops was asked on his show tonight if Levis can run. Stoops said that he could and later mentioned when we was at our best in the red zone was when WL was running. He said that WL probably is more apprehensive to do it after getting hurt. That is pretty big to our stagnant offense. Just watch all the top teams. Almost all of the QB's run when needed and effectively.

Question about if WL can change plays. He said no. So when WL sees eight in the box he still goes with running up the middle. Thought it was funny when a caller made a big deal about CV going out hurt and MH gave up a long pass on fourth and eleven. They both seemed to reflect that 'only if CV had been in there.' Then CV comes back in and gets burned for the TD. Stoops put part of the blame on our passing woes with the 'young' WR's. And on the OL because of the pressure. Said that WL threw into double coverage once when he had a receiver open underneath. Not true. I mention this because of the pattern of covering for WL with his passing woe's. He seemed to be frustrated with WL not running though.

Said we was two penalties away from being 6-2. Kept mentioning that 9 other teams in the SEC has the same record as us and it's just a tough conference. He said we did have a special teams coach but would not reveal who it is. A caller pointed out how many points we have lost this season because of special teams, and it was a lot. Said to just blame him for it. Said a safety was to blame for the QB long run. Just some of the highlights can remember.
Would love to see more stuff designed for 6/7 yd quick hitters Over The Middle of the field instead of bubble screens of third and nine. It's almost like the middle of the field doesn't even exist. Bubble screens and fades.

I don't think the line is as bad as it appears. We are in between blocking schemes. Something of the struggles we've seen before when we were trying to switch from the read option to pocket passing offense.

Running game-
I don't think we're running it as we used to most of the time. I think we see big inside plays out of inside zone blocking, like the one CRod broke for over 70yds.

Passing game-
Same struggles there as with the running game. Different blocking scheme, slightly different protections need to be called out.

What I would do is go uptempo similar to UT and the way we'd done in the past. The issue we might have with that is that Levis isn't as mobile as he was before we confined him to the pocket. Injuries have slowed him and affected his drops as well. He would still need to make better reads pre-snap and post.

The TEs are still not being utilized as best as possible. We are not creating mismatches in coverage with our WRs as we should. We're still passing behind the LOS too often and that is hurting our running game as more teams pack the box. We can't handle the pressure of 9-10 men in the box, and it seems we have no hot reads with cut blocks in the offensive package. The only motion we have before the snap is inside the tackles.

All of these things would need to change for me, but they don't happen in 3 days time.
They need to go shotgun instead of under center, that would give Levis a bit more time

I would like to see more fly routes to Brown and Key right down the sideline. Should get man to man coverage on that. Mix in some short passes to the sideline to the same guys. Also, short passes to tight ends on play action fakes to Rodriguez.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT