ADVERTISEMENT

If you were the OC, what would you call? I say it would be tough with issues we have.

Nov 1, 2022
When you have a offensive line as bad as ours, What can you do as a OC. Coen had a super strong running game to lean on, and because of that had a play action game where his quarterback had enough time for deeper routes to get open. Everything else was a screen to Robinson and then the magic would happen that was Wandale show. I was talking with some friends this weekend…… if you were the OC what would you run.

1. They are trying the running game like we have in the past….. but it’s deffenitly not as good with our Oline issues.
2. Typically the QB don’t have enough time for longer routes to
3. Screen plays….. we do our share of them
4. Short passing game is really all we got because of our Oline. Defensive coordinators are smart these days. They are setting on those plays I would think.
5. I love Levis…… but he won’t run the ball like he did last year. In my opinion, that was part of his game that made him so good. Very few effective mobile QB can have success without the threat of running. To be a drop back passer only, you better Be a special kind of talent with a good Oline in front of you. That why so many people have went to the somewhat mobile QB’s in college and straying to be NFL.

All I am saying is that it would be tough to be the OC right now for UK. I am don’t know what I think about Scag at this point. I do think Oline coach has to go. Just have not seen much improvement out of this young group.

I don’t think many people understand how important your Oline is. It’s the foundation for your home. We have taken great Oline play for granite. Stoops has had a lot of success here because of our past OLines. Hell, we had a guy (LB), who couldn’t even pass hardly and we still had effective offense, because our Oline controlled the line of scrimmage. I truly feel Stoops understand this. I think he will hit the portal this off season and put together a good foundation for us with a better Oline coach. That is if he has some NIL money to spend$$

Reactions: Soupbean
I'll try ... 1) quit being so damn predictable .. both by our scheme .. I think other teams know run versus pass by our sets . 2) to follow up , throw in some obvious run downs and vice verse .. and use either a RB draw or QB to slow the rush down some . 3) something is wrong with the screens we do call , fix it 4) by all means use the passing game to set up the run , not vice versa 5). keep a RB or 2nd TE off passing routes and use to provide extra blocker in 3rd and longer situations .. 6 ). tell Will to run the damn ball. But its too late for all that now , the chance for a special season went away on a single play it seems .. Will hiking the ball early before his receiver got set at Ole Miss .. that play changed history .. it seems

Last edited:
I don't think the line is as bad as it appears. We are in between blocking schemes. Something of the struggles we've seen before when we were trying to switch from the read option to pocket passing offense.

Running game-
I don't think we're running it as we used to most of the time. I think we see big inside plays out of inside zone blocking, like the one CRod broke for over 70yds.

Passing game-
Same struggles there as with the running game. Different blocking scheme, slightly different protections need to be called out.

What I would do is go uptempo similar to UT and the way we'd done in the past. The issue we might have with that is that Levis isn't as mobile as he was before we confined him to the pocket. Injuries have slowed him and affected his drops as well. He would still need to make better reads pre-snap and post.

The TEs are still not being utilized as best as possible. We are not creating mismatches in coverage with our WRs as we should. We're still passing behind the LOS too often and that is hurting our running game as more teams pack the box. We can't handle the pressure of 9-10 men in the box, and it seems we have no hot reads with cut blocks in the offensive package. The only motion we have before the snap is inside the tackles.

All of these things would need to change for me, but they don't happen in 3 days time.

1. Way more slants and quick action passes....three step drops, etc..
2. How about a screen every once in a blue moon to make teams pay for all out blitzing? But the hard part is that takes detail execution by the Oline, which has been awful this year. You have to be able to teach who has RB out of backfield and get a hat on him...which Yenser seems out of his league as we can't pick up simple stunts by Dline even now in week 10.
3. Levis foot issues are a problem...but role the pocket out.
4. The bigger issue is Levis isn't seeing the field this year. He is simply missing reads so much and hampering the passing game as much as Oline blocking lately. He seemed to be coached up last year and this year he is not. I'd hope by know he can read combo routes to the same side of field.

Not much you can call if the QB can only complete one pass in a half (he completed 2 but I'm not counting the cheap check down in desperation time). I would say that's Terry Wilson territory, but it isn't even that good.

The route concepts I saw Saturday were definitely the simplest of the season. They basically asked will to presnap choose the side of the field be liked better, then read just that. We mostly mirrored concepts on each side to make it super simple. Still majorly struggled.

He is awful presnap and barely better post snap. Someone, on the staff or otherwise (maybe even himself), has obviously highlighted his picks because now he won't throw unless his guy is basically wide open. The anticipation throws of the MSU game are a far distant past.

Our run game is actually pretty good. Ya it isn't dominant but it's still good. Second half of vandy the OL started wearing them down and we got what we wanted except on the 2pt conversion where crod was too exhausted to go.

If we want to not get totally embarrassed vs uga, will needs to just let the ball go. We need pa on first down because 3rd and long consistently isn't going to cut it. Otherwise might as well bring in Wade and run option to at least burn clock.

I’m no expert, but how about not calling plays I can guess from sitting on my couch.

Our talent is good enough to have a more explosive offense. We have a strong armed QB and a bunch of good receivers. The QB needs to throw the ball to open receivers instead of covered ones and not be scared to death to run the stupid ball when the pressure is coming on pass plays. If the QB can't do those things let Sheron try. Then go from there. OL not powerful enough to be first option, set the run up with the pass instead of the opposite. Have learned a lot of it is on the OC and WL.

Reactions: EliteBlue
A lot of good comments that I agree with.

1. Will is not seeing the field and missing open receivers consistently.
2. He also holds the ball too long, looking for a bigger play, rather than accepting what the D is giving and getting a handful of yards with a safety valve/checkdown.
3. OL has not progressed and still looks befuddled by stunts and blitzes.
4. Will doesn't consistently climb the pocket (when one exists) and, at times, runs into sacks.
5. Running game has somewhat improved over the season. Still too many missed assignments that are the difference between a 1-yard gain and a 7-yard gain.
6. Playcalling has been inconsistent. At times, we look like we're getting in a groove and look relatively sharp. Other times, pretty much anyone who's scouted UK could call the plays before the snap of the ball. I still believe play design has been sound but when a particular play is called and execution have been all over the board.
7. Our play action has been MIA for several games now. There were several plays on Saturday that it was obvious Vandy was keying on CRod and we still handed the ball to him into a pile of humanity. Does Will not have the free rein to check out of an obvious bad play?
8. TEs have been pretty much a nonfactor lately as we're having to keep them in to block. That is a pretty big weapon in the system that we just can't use.
9. Too many 5- and 7-step drops in obvious blitz situations which just ensures Will takes a sack. I've yet to see a hot receiver or any adjustment to a blitz. Are the players incapable of recognizing a blitz or is the scheme lacking in hot receivers in those situations?

With Oline being a train wreck
Old fashioned Screen plays not the bubble screen
Slants with 3 step drops
Use tight ends more Dingle got one attempt vs Vandy
Jet sweeps with #9
Levis looked ok on his couple runs Saturday not seeing this injury but maybe he’s so tuff he doesn’t show it. Damn I miss the QB that ran against Louisville last year

I've yet to see a hot receiver or any adjustment to a blitz. Are the players incapable of recognizing a blitz or is the scheme lacking in hot receivers in those situations?

This is far and away my biggest concern with the offensive staff. Picking up pressure is an all 11 responsibility. I see zero presnap communication from wrs or OL with the QB and vice versa. Yes I understand will should absolutely see it but we know he doesn't. That's why all 11 communication is so important.

Great example Saturday, vandy blitzed a nickel that was CLEARLY coming. Slot should've pointed it out, OT and OG should've talked and slid protection. Will should've known the protection, routes, and all potential blitzers to know if they would slide or if the blitzer was his responsibility.

Literally none of that happened. Instead Will looked right at him, dropped back like business as usual, and was sacked. Somehow never saw it coming, never stepped up. Just a key third down sack.

There is clearly a disconnect between the players and probably the staff. No way a unit can see some of these alignments and not talk. Yet we see zero indication.

That is by far my biggest concern in the operation of the offensive unit under this collective staff

We are in between blocking schemes.
We’ve had so much success with The Big Blue Wall. Why in the hell are we changing something that has worked so spectacularly? It’s like Tiger Woods making swing changes after winning the US Open by 15 strokes.

Reactions: Girthang
We’ve had so much success with The Big Blue Wall. Why in the hell are we changing something that has worked so spectacularly? It’s like Tiger Woods making swing changes after winning the US Open by 15 strokes.

We started it under Coen and it didn't work well, so we went back to inside zone. We haven't committed to either this season. We may have decided to change once we lost the best OL coach we've ever had.

Levis looked ok on his couple runs Saturday not seeing this injury but maybe he’s so tuff he doesn’t show it. Damn I miss the QB that ran against Louisville last year
Yeah, Levis is tough and medicated. But load up the 8-9 minute replays of LSU, Florida and U of L from last year. He is at least a half-step slower than his best days.

Something that has to change. The play has to get to Will quicker. More often than not, Will doesn't have time for a true hard count to try and identify who's coming, who's dropping. That's a tool most every team uses but we are to slow to the line to use it.

I've yet to see a hot receiver or any adjustment to a blitz. Are the players incapable of recognizing a blitz or is the scheme lacking in hot receivers in those situations?
On perhaps 20 percent of our passing
plays, we spilt a back who trots wide, and is available for a lateral or shallow flat pass. At a minimum, a flared back gives a QB trapped in the pocket the chance to sail a pass 10 yards over his head, and OOB’s rather than take a sack. Also, occasionally an actual pass to the back might gain yards.

I think we could count on the fingers of one hand, the number of times that Levis has tried to hit the flaired back, or throw the ball, away, combined.

Maybe 4 or 5 slants toward the middle, especially against soft coverage?!?

How ‘bout when we have both Key and Brown on the field, letting each of them run a deep sideline pattern: lob a pass to the sideline where a deep safety is not helping.

Jump balls are relatively low percentage plays, but frequently draw pass interference calls, and if picked, are as good as most punts. When they are completed, they can be game-changing . . . check out Vandy’s deep pass late, where their receiver literally threw our substitute DB to the ground, but set up their final score with a 40 yard gain.

Stoops was asked on his show tonight if Levis can run. Stoops said that he could and later mentioned when we was at our best in the red zone was when WL was running. He said that WL probably is more apprehensive to do it after getting hurt. That is pretty big to our stagnant offense. Just watch all the top teams. Almost all of the QB's run when needed and effectively.

Question about if WL can change plays. He said no. So when WL sees eight in the box he still goes with running up the middle. Thought it was funny when a caller made a big deal about CV going out hurt and MH gave up a long pass on fourth and eleven. They both seemed to reflect that 'only if CV had been in there.' Then CV comes back in and gets burned for the TD. Stoops put part of the blame on our passing woes with the 'young' WR's. And on the OL because of the pressure. Said that WL threw into double coverage once when he had a receiver open underneath. Not true. I mention this because of the pattern of covering for WL with his passing woe's. He seemed to be frustrated with WL not running though.

Said we was two penalties away from being 6-2. Kept mentioning that 9 other teams in the SEC has the same record as us and it's just a tough conference. He said we did have a special teams coach but would not reveal who it is. A caller pointed out how many points we have lost this season because of special teams, and it was a lot. Said to just blame him for it. Said a safety was to blame for the QB long run. Just some of the highlights can remember.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I think we could count on the fingers of one hand, the number of times that Levis has tried to hit the flaired back, or throw the ball, away, combined.

The irony is one of those times he finally checked down was Saturday with less than 40 seconds left when we couldn't even afford such a throw.

Reactions: The-Hack
I know what I wouldn't call- passes behind the LOS on 3rd and long.

I wouldn't call slow developing plays with a QB that's been relentlessly sacked all season, and after he's been told not to run.

I wouldn't call runs up the middle when it didn't work the last 48 times I called it that game.

I know what I wouldn't call- passes behind the LOS on 3rd and long.

I wouldn't call slow developing plays with a QB that's been relentlessly sacked all season, and after he's been told not to run.

I wouldn't call runs up the middle when it didn't work the last 48 times I called it that game.

"Up the middle" worked just fine in the second half. Especially on the 72 yard go ahead run.

We don't have "slow developing plays" (a new candidate for the bingo card); we have a slow processing qb.

• Love
I don't think the line is as bad as it appears. We are in between blocking schemes. Something of the struggles we've seen before when we were trying to switch from the read option to pocket passing offense.
This is the biggest problem I believe. And the inability of our OC to adapt on the fly.
We don’t have the personnel on the oline to pull.

If I had a clue how to call games for success in the SEC with this combination of offensive line and qb who needs the time to make plays I would probably be doing it professionally.

I would say that at my job now if I did the same thing 10 weeks in a row and each week it was awful or got worse by week ten I would have tried something different.

There is enough talent to figure something out, Eddie gran took a wide receiver and ran 3 plays that the defense knew was coming and that was one of the more exciting offensive seasons we have had to watch.

Surely with a top 5 qb, top 2 running back of all time, senior transfer wr with two freshman studs, an experienced tight end group, the offensive coordinator could figure out something.

Our line is God awful, they block at a middle school level, but middle school teams still score I believe, got to play to your team, not like we are the 49’rs.

It’s way too late now though.

-Quicker developing short and intermediate pass plays in general

-heavier formations personnel wise with TEs and blocking backs to help the OL

-maybe some pass option…if D is coming for Will he gives, if they key on crod or whoever pull out and pop it over there heads…having to respect the run may free up some time for will to make better decisions

"Up the middle" worked just fine in the second half. Especially on the 72 yard go ahead run.

We don't have "slow developing plays" (a new candidate for the bingo card); we have a slow processing qb.
Wrong. We absolutely do have slow developing plays. I've heard Scangarello talk about them. Eye candy to fool them, then develop the real play. Go argue that with him.

Stoops made an interesting declaration during his UGA week press conference. The question was asked, if things were too complicated and that was affecting play with the Offense. His answer,
"In some cases, yes. We're done with that. You can't beat anyone until you stop beating yourself. We may not win but we are going to stop beating ourselves". He said he had a multi hour meeting with the Offensive Staff Sunday.

Question about if WL can change plays. He said no. So when WL sees eight in the box he still goes with running up the middle.

I cannot believe that this is true. If it is true, that surely says something about the staff's confidence in Will to check into a better play or their need to be uber-controlling, or both. I find it hard to believe that a Sr QB does not have the go-ahead to change a play that looks to be obviously doomed from the outset. That's malpractice, imo. If this is true, I'll have to take back some of my criticism of Will as he can't be faulted for not changing the play if he's not allowed to do so. There are just too many plays during the game that, when we line up, I know where we're going and the defense is aligned to stop that very play and I haven't understood why Will hasn't recognized it and changed to a different play. Perhaps now I know why.

Spread it out more. Scang likes tight bunch formations. Introduce some RPO and some zone reads. Make Defense account for Will in the run game much like last year. Rewatch every game from last and figure out why wandale was open 98% of the time last year. I realize he was generational talent but the scheme set him up for success.

Wrong. We absolutely do have slow developing plays. I've heard Scangarello talk about them. Eye candy to fool them, then develop the real play. Go argue that with him.

Eye candy is presnap. Has nothing to do with the length of routes, etc

Stoops made an interesting declaration during his UGA week press conference. The question was asked, if things were too complicated and that was affecting play with the Offense. His answer,
"In some cases, yes. We're done with that. You can't beat anyone until you stop beating yourself. We may not win but we are going to stop beating ourselves". He said he had a multi hour meeting with the Offensive Staff Sunday.

Last week stoops approach turned us into a miserably predictable run on first and second down team. If he is putting this much pressure on them, it's probably going to just be handoffs all game. Might as well. At least it will cut the game short

Question about if WL can change plays. He said no. So when WL sees eight in the box he still goes with running up the middle.

I cannot believe that this is true. If it is true, that surely says something about the staff's confidence in Will to check into a better play or their need to be uber-controlling, or both. I find it hard to believe that a Sr QB does not have the go-ahead to change a play that looks to be obviously doomed from the outset. That's malpractice, imo. If this is true, I'll have to take back some of my criticism of Will as he can't be faulted for not changing the play if he's not allowed to do so. There are just too many plays during the game that, when we line up, I know where we're going and the defense is aligned to stop that very play and I haven't understood why Will hasn't recognized it and changed to a different play. Perhaps now I know why.

He looks right at obviously blitzing defenders and doesn't account for them in his internal clock. So he definitely can't be trusted to do something like change a play.

It is what it is.

Eye candy is presnap. Has nothing to do with the length of routes, etc

Last week stoops approach turned us into a miserably predictable run on first and second down team. If he is putting this much pressure on them, it's probably going to just be handoffs all game. Might as well. At least it will cut the game short

He looks right at obviously blitzing defenders and doesn't account for them in his internal clock. So he definitely can't be trusted to do something like change a play.

It is what it is.
I would hope not on the straight handoffs. It'll be right back to a lack of talent at the receiver spot if that's the plan. He didn't elaborate on what he was talking about. I was going with the blocking schemes but I guess we will find out at the UL game. I doubt much is successful this week with UGA.

Agree. He's very effective. Pretty alarming we rarely, if ever, pull Jager. He's in the smaller side and we're told he's athletic. He should be tailor made for pulling.
Can this group of linemen show growth in the next 12 months?

I c/n remember if we get Manning back, but looking at overall HS rankings, if they directly correlated to college production, very few of our current linemen had resumes as modest Bunchy Stallings and others who were drafted and/or made AA teams.

The failure of our (now) average 4 Star talent on O-line is simply shocking.

Scang thinks his NFL pedigree makes him superior to CFB defensive coaches. Why let the QB change a play that a superior mind has already called?

Scang thinks his NFL pedigree makes him superior to CFB defensive coaches. Why let the QB change a play that a superior mind has already called?
I hope that's not true, although it wouldn't surprise me. I have been under the assumption that pretty much all college QBs with some seasoning have the ability to check to a different play if it's obvious what's been called is going to be a disaster. Surely, the playbook has Primary Option for a particular set and down-and-distance and then an audible to a different play as Secondary Option and it's up to the QB to run Primary or Secondary. Maybe I'm overestimating what OCs on the college level allow their QB to do.

As to Will's internal clock, it is definitely faulty at times, but if he doesn't have the coaches' blessing to change the play and the design of the play does not have short, quick routes, I'm not sure what he's supposed to do except pray the OL pick up the blitz and give him enough time.

Something that has to change. The play has to get to Will quicker. More often than not, Will doesn't have time for a true hard count to try and identify who's coming, who's dropping. That's a tool most every team uses but we are to slow to the line to use it.
Good point, when you snap the ball late 9 times out of 10 you are doing so unsure, out of rhythm and with the Oline frozen and on their heels. Not condusive to success.

I don't know what I would call, but then I'm not an OC. What I do know it that there is always some excuse as to why the offense sucks. There are lots of very good to great offenses in CFB every year, but UK never has one of them (last year's was respectable, not great). How do they do it but UK can't? I think Ole Miss and UT are comparable to UK talent-wise, maybe marginally better. Their offenses seem to have a lot of success against SEC defenses. I've resigned myself to the fact that it doesn't matter who the OC, QB, WR, etc are, Stoops just doesn't want a powerful, fast-paced offense.

I don't know what I would call, but then I'm not an OC. What I do know it that there is always some excuse as to why the offense sucks. There are lots of very good to great offenses in CFB every year, but UK never has one of them (last year's was respectable, not great). How do they do it but UK can't? I think Ole Miss and UT are comparable to UK talent-wise, maybe marginally better. Their offenses seem to have a lot of success against SEC defenses. I've resigned myself to the fact that it doesn't matter who the OC, QB, WR, etc are, Stoops just doesn't want a powerful, fast-paced offense.
I think Scang is trying to give hints to the reason. He's said a couple of times that there is not room for error when you play ball control football. Just not enough possessions, no tempo, and have to be just about perfect in the red zone. That's a lot of pressure on the players and seems to be the common denominator during Stoops tenure.

Reactions: IFerg1969
I think Scang is trying to give hints to the reason. He's said a couple of times that there is not room for error when you play ball control football. Just not enough possessions, no tempo, and have to be just about perfect in the red zone. That's a lot of pressure on the players and seems to be the common denominator during Stoops tenure.
Good post. I agree.

In today's game, I think the above is true. When you selectively minimize your possessions and plays, it makes possessions and plays even more important.

While some teams (with talented OLs and decent RBs) are capable of long sustained drives, ball control football usually means several consecutive possessions with gradually improving field position (good punting helps) before you score.

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT