ADVERTISEMENT

If you could change the outcome of one UK loss what game would it be

Simple answer: 1997 Arizona ....3 peat, one of 2 NCAA teams to ever win 3 in row looks real nice on that, why Kentucky is the greatest ever list.

Wisconsin

We win that game, have a chance at an undefeated championship and also coach K has one less title if we win.

I think about if we would've won 2010 and 2015 Cal has 3 and then K has 3. We were better than Duke both of those years.

In order:
'97 Zona - 3 Peat
'14 UConn - National Title as 8 seed
'92 Duke - No more of the shot
'15 Wisconsin - Lower because I believe Vegas would of had Duke beat us, guarantee a title and this is #1 easily
'66 Texas Western - Not in my time, but I hate being that team

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I would probably trade a championship just for the Wisconsin game to have a different outcome and still have the uncertainty of the Duke game to follow.

Wiscy, 2015. Should have won that dang game, and I haven't been the same since. We would have smashed Dook for the title game.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Given that the premise is to change ONE game, and only one game, for me it comes down to three that I have a hard time choosing between.

1975 vs UCLA
1992 vs Duke
1997 vs Arizona

1992 is the emotional winner, but all things considered, I have to go with the three-peat and pick the 1975 title game.

Somewhat surprised that no one has even mentioned the Dream Game - that's another final four if nothing else.

First of all the 1992 game against Duke was only called the greatest game ever by sports media because DUKE won. Had we prevailed I guarantee you it would not be considered so today. The 1975 loss to UCLA was the first soul crushing loss I can remember, for me if we could get a do over on any game it would be that one.

March the 14th 1970 in Columbus Ohio UK was playing Jacksonville in the elite 8. I was a sophomore in high school at Millersburg Military Institute in Millersburg just a few miles from Lexington. Dan Issel was the best ball player I had ever seen. He could score from anywhere or on anybody. Issel was a senior playing for a chance to go to the final four. This was his last chance to make a final four in his career at UK. I really wanted that win for Issel as much as i did for Uk. I was crushed when they lost. Issel scored 28 and had 10 rebounds when he fouled out with 10 minutes left in the game. Jacksonville had a really tall team starting 2 seven foot tall players. Three other UK players also fouled out in the game, they just has a difficult time guarding Gilmore and a guard they had (I can't remember his name but he scored a lot of points). Tom Parker kept the cats in the game but they lost 106 to 100. That team was ranked number one most of the season and were reall fun to watch. They scored 100 points or more in half of their games. Issel was just a warrior in his career at UK. If I could change the outcome and give UK and Issel that win I would. Just wondered what game loss really bothered you.
For me, it's easy, although this was a great pick. A killer loss. Issel didn't deserve this. But, that said, it's got to be Grevey vs. Wooden. We got screwed there.

1984-Georgetown
2003-Marquette
2004-UAB

Would have won back to back titles had the breaks of the game went the Cats way in 03 and 04.

Joe B. would have had another title in 84 had the 2nd half shooting not been that dismal.

1984-Georgetown
2003-Marquette
2004-UAB

Would have won back to back titles had the breaks of the game went the Cats way in 03 and 04.

Joe B. would have had another title in 84 had the 2nd half shooting not been that dismal.
Georgetown game was pitiful. Absolutely punk’d. Winston Bennett’s was at his worst, 1-8 from the field (2 points) and shots weren’t even close. Bowie was the only one double digit.

Second half was the worse half of tournament ball I’ve ever witnessed by UK. We had 2 7-footers and only scored 11 points in 20 minutes after leading first half. I recall going 13 or minutes without a single point.

For me, this was the most embarrassing loss and it stung for a long time.

Reactions: ruppcat
Georgetown game was pitiful. Absolutely punk’d. Winston Bennett’s was at his worst, 1-8 from the field (2 points) and shots weren’t even close. Bowie was the only one double digit.

Second half was the worse half of tournament ball I’ve ever witnessed by UK. We had 2 7-footers and only scored 11 points in 20 minutes after leading first half. I recall going 13 or minutes without a single point.

Agreed. It was a sad ending for Sam Bowie at UK after all he went through. I would have loved to have seen him win a title at UK.

Reactions: BlueLegends
Agreed. It was a sad ending for Sam Bowie at UK after all he went through. I would have loved to have seen him win a title at UK.
I thought Bowie wasn’t afraid, just missed his shots. Bennett though, was intimidated by Graham. It was just rough and went and got me a pair Hoya Nikes lmao. Didn’t change my loyalty, but it did test it 😎.

And the top scorer for the Hoyas was:

164026e85dd5e3e58309e3f611399b6b.gif

Reactions: ArcadiaFan
I thought Bowie wasn’t afraid, just missed his shots. Bennett though, was intimidated by Graham. It was just rough and went and got me a pair Hoya Nikes lmao. Didn’t change my loyalty, but it did test it 😎.

And the top scorer for the Hoyas was:

164026e85dd5e3e58309e3f611399b6b.gif
Georgetown certainly had a swagger to them in the 80s. Hoya Paranoia got to Bennett. I know many may disagree with me, but I always liked John Thompson. And yeah, Michael Jackson was everywhere in the 80s, even moonwalked in Seattle that evening! Haha.

Georgetown certainly had a swagger to them in the 80s. Hoya Paranoia got to Bennett. I know many may disagree with me, but I always liked John Thompson. And yeah, Michael Jackson was everywhere in the 80s, even moonwalked in Seattle that evening! Haha.
I was young and playing AAU and high school hoops at that time, so my loyalty belonged to UK, but as kids we got caught up in the trends, Hoya Paranoia, Phi Slamma Jamma, Jimmy V, Sampson, and yes UNC with MJ. It was fun to be a kid during that era.

Reactions: ArcadiaFan
March the 14th 1970 in Columbus Ohio UK was playing Jacksonville in the elite 8. I was a sophomore in high school at Millersburg Military Institute in Millersburg just a few miles from Lexington. Dan Issel was the best ball player I had ever seen. He could score from anywhere or on anybody. Issel was a senior playing for a chance to go to the final four. This was his last chance to make a final four in his career at UK. I really wanted that win for Issel as much as i did for Uk. I was crushed when they lost. Issel scored 28 and had 10 rebounds when he fouled out with 10 minutes left in the game. Jacksonville had a really tall team starting 2 seven foot tall players. Three other UK players also fouled out in the game, they just has a difficult time guarding Gilmore and a guard they had (I can't remember his name but he scored a lot of points). Tom Parker kept the cats in the game but they lost 106 to 100. That team was ranked number one most of the season and were reall fun to watch. They scored 100 points or more in half of their games. Issel was just a warrior in his career at UK. If I could change the outcome and give UK and Issel that win I would. Just wondered what game loss really bothered you.
Jacksonville had Artis Gilmore and Pembrooke Burrows both 7’ tall A small guard Vaughn Wedking lured Issel into a phony charging call
It was Issels 5th foul A rarely used center
Mark Soderberg replaced Issel We lost by 6 in OT Remember Mike Casey sat out that season with a badly broken leg with Casey we wouldn’t have lost
I was the Head Student Manager on the UK bench I have never forgotten that loss

2014 title game
This too as it would been the greatest story to have won all those great tournament games being the underdog all the way until the finals when they actually were the small favorite.........still haunts (but if they won this game would everyone had come back ?) Either way sucks since we won neither.

Jacksonville had Artis Gilmore and Pembrooke Burrows both 7’ tall A small guard Vaughn Wedking lured Issel into a phony charging call
It was Issels 5th foul A rarely used center
Mark Soderberg replaced Issel We lost by 6 in OT Remember Mike Casey sat out that season with a badly broken leg with Casey we wouldn’t have lost
I was the Head Student Manager on the UK bench I have never forgotten that loss
One correction; we lost in regulation to Jacksonville.

Reactions: LASTUKMGR69
The obvious answer is Georgetown’84. However, many current fans have proven they lack the mental fortitude to deal with a loss like ‘15 Whisky. Given that, I guess you’d reverse ‘15. One of the most heart breaking was ‘14. That was a gutsy crew that finally learned team basketball.

I was thinking 84 Georgetown as well.

There's no guarantee we win in 1998 if we win in 1997. So much more pressure and who knows what happens with the head coach or players. Does Pitino leave with a shot at 3 straight or do we lose some guys who might be satisfied leaving with 2 straight titles?

I also have a hard time seeing them let us win in 2015 to go undefeated against Duke. Probably would have gotten an epic hose job. If I was going to pick a title game to win the 2014 run deserved to finish with a title and one of the most memorable stories in college basketball history.

I'm going to go a different route and say the 1966 Final Four game. Had we lost, then Duke plays Texas Western and gets labeled the racist school with their all white team. With perceptions possibly changed maybe Duke has to deal with what we did and we get all that favoritism they got with Coach K.
That’s not how this thread works. This is only changing ONE outcome, not dealing with paradoxes. If you exercise the pure topic of the thread then yes we end up threepeating.

That’s not how this thread works. This is only changing ONE outcome, not dealing with paradoxes. If you exercise the pure topic of the thread then yes we end up threepeating.
I said the game I wanted to win being the 2014 Championship Game. Just giving my opinion on what I think would have happened if you could change those other games.

This too as it would been the greatest story to have won all those great tournament games being the underdog all the way until the finals when they actually were the small favorite.........still haunts (but if they won this game would everyone had come back ?) Either way sucks since we won neither.
It’s one of my bigger “what if” for Cals tenure. I think if they won it all, everyone would be gone and good chance that Cal would’ve gone to the NBA, too.

The stretch of games from Wichita St to Wisc are some of my favorite UK NCAAT games though.

UCONN in 2014 for our 9th title.

3-33 in the second half IIRC.

I too well remember that game. Just stunned at what I was watching that day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT