ADVERTISEMENT

If you could change the outcome of one UK loss what game would it be

Jan 24, 2017
March the 14th 1970 in Columbus Ohio UK was playing Jacksonville in the elite 8. I was a sophomore in high school at Millersburg Military Institute in Millersburg just a few miles from Lexington. Dan Issel was the best ball player I had ever seen. He could score from anywhere or on anybody. Issel was a senior playing for a chance to go to the final four. This was his last chance to make a final four in his career at UK. I really wanted that win for Issel as much as i did for Uk. I was crushed when they lost. Issel scored 28 and had 10 rebounds when he fouled out with 10 minutes left in the game. Jacksonville had a really tall team starting 2 seven foot tall players. Three other UK players also fouled out in the game, they just has a difficult time guarding Gilmore and a guard they had (I can't remember his name but he scored a lot of points). Tom Parker kept the cats in the game but they lost 106 to 100. That team was ranked number one most of the season and were reall fun to watch. They scored 100 points or more in half of their games. Issel was just a warrior in his career at UK. If I could change the outcome and give UK and Issel that win I would. Just wondered what game loss really bothered you.

March the 14th 1970 in Columbus Ohio UK was playing Jacksonville in the elite 8. I was a sophomore in high school at Millersburg Military Institute in Millersburg just a few miles from Lexington. Dan Issel was the best ball player I had ever seen. He could score from anywhere or on anybody. Issel was a senior playing for a chance to go to the final four. This was his last chance to make a final four in his career at UK. I really wanted that win for Issel as much as i did for Uk. I was crushed when they lost. Issel scored 28 and had 10 rebounds when he fouled out with 10 minutes left in the game. Jacksonville had a really tall team starting 2 seven foot tall players. Three other UK players also fouled out in the game, they just has a difficult time guarding Gilmore and a guard they had (I can't remember his name but he scored a lot of points). Tom Parker kept the cats in the game but they lost 106 to 100. That team was ranked number one most of the season and were reall fun to watch. They scored 100 points or more in half of their games. Issel was just a warrior in his career at UK. If I could change the outcome and give UK and Issel that win I would. Just wondered what game loss really bothered you.
I was at this game and got really disappointed at not winning. Strange but true, later on Issel and Gilmore became teammates with the KY Colonels in the old ABA, Wish that team could have got to a FF for Issel, Pratt and Casey and the rest. Great mems VHskidmore

The obvious answer is Georgetown’84. However, many current fans have proven they lack the mental fortitude to deal with a loss like ‘15 Whisky. Given that, I guess you’d reverse ‘15. One of the most heart breaking was ‘14. That was a gutsy crew that finally learned team basketball.

It’s not the obvious answer. But it is on the short list. And that was my first loss that hurt!

Three straight titles in the modern era when all the talking heads and gurus said it couldn’t be done and would never happen again like the UCLA era. Could you imagine the added pressure to keep UK the “gold standard” on Cal?

Yeah but, winning 2 in a row would’ve made it that much harder to win the 3rd.

Reactions: mktmaker
92 UK-Duke.

We’d be on the *winning* side of the greatest game ever played. Probably have another title. Mash would probably have a title. The Unforgettables would probably have a title. Cawood probably would have retired calling a Cats title. Never would have had to watch that shot replayed even once.

Yeah but, winning 2 in a row would’ve made it that much harder to win the 3rd.
Or that much easier. Law of Averages isn’t real but the advantage of winning tournament experience is real.

(I’ll give you there would be more pressure to handle too)

Last edited:
You honestly think if we go to the title game at 39-0 we are losing???? No way in Hell would we have lost that game even to the Lakers.

We nearly lost to Notre Dame before the Wisconsin game.

It's entirely possible we could have lost to Duke, who was also a good team that year.

The pressure of going undefeated would have been enormous.

The obvious answer is Georgetown’84. However, many current fans have proven they lack the mental fortitude to deal with a loss like ‘15 Whisky. Given that, I guess you’d reverse ‘15. One of the most heart breaking was ‘14. That was a gutsy crew that finally learned team basketball.
Says the so full of shit cat fan to ever post a thread. You ain’t witnessed shit.

We nearly lost to Notre Dame before the Wisconsin game.

It's entirely possible we could have lost to Duke, who was also a good team that year.

The pressure of going undefeated would have been enormous.
I’m with you. I think we were much better than Duke that year but if Cal had been one game closer to 40-0 he’d also have felt the need to switch to prevent defense/KAT-only offense that much harder near the end of the game. Anything could have happened.

Wisconsin. UK wins the title that year the pay for play scandal doesn't work(against UK). My humble opinion anyway.

The Game, that is what espn hangs their hat on every NCAA tournament. Duke loses and we crash the party.
92 UK-Duke.

We’d be on the *winning* side of the greatest game ever played. Probably have another title. Mash would probably have a title. The Unforgettables would probably have a title. Cawood probably would have retired calling a Cats title. Never would have had to watch that shot replayed even once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT