ADVERTISEMENT

If you could change the outcome of one UK loss what game would it be

I thought Bowie wasn’t afraid, just missed his shots. Bennett though, was intimidated by Graham. It was just rough and went and got me a pair Hoya Nikes lmao. Didn’t change my loyalty, but it did test it 😎.

And the top scorer for the Hoyas was:

164026e85dd5e3e58309e3f611399b6b.gif
IIRC, didn't georgetown press in the second half? I seem to remember the team looking a little intimidated by that.

Reactions: BlueLegends
Georgetown game was pitiful. Absolutely punk’d. Winston Bennett’s was at his worst, 1-8 from the field (2 points) and shots weren’t even close. Bowie was the only one double digit.

Second half was the worse half of tournament ball I’ve ever witnessed by UK. We had 2 7-footers and only scored 11 points in 20 minutes after leading first half. I recall going 13 or minutes without a single point.

For me, this was the most embarrassing loss and it stung for a long time.
That game was the beginning of the "don't mess up the vibe" thing for me and watching UK games. My roommate had invited a friend of his over, whom I didn't really like, and the dude was sitting in my chair in which I'd watched all the UK games that season.

I blame him for the loss to this day.

IIRC, didn't georgetown press in the second half? I seem to remember the team looking a little intimidated by that.

They did. And in my 14yo opinion at the time they were mugging us, I seem to remember their PF clothesline one of our guys around mid court, no call. Maybe I was biased.

Reactions: ruppcat
2015, If they beat Wisc, they win it all. Wisc. was so emotionally drained, they couldn't beat a below average Duke for the natty. 40-0....just think...

Reactions: gharding07
March the 14th 1970 in Columbus Ohio UK was playing Jacksonville in the elite 8. I was a sophomore in high school at Millersburg Military Institute in Millersburg just a few miles from Lexington. Dan Issel was the best ball player I had ever seen. He could score from anywhere or on anybody. Issel was a senior playing for a chance to go to the final four. This was his last chance to make a final four in his career at UK. I really wanted that win for Issel as much as i did for Uk. I was crushed when they lost. Issel scored 28 and had 10 rebounds when he fouled out with 10 minutes left in the game. Jacksonville had a really tall team starting 2 seven foot tall players. Three other UK players also fouled out in the game, they just has a difficult time guarding Gilmore and a guard they had (I can't remember his name but he scored a lot of points). Tom Parker kept the cats in the game but they lost 106 to 100. That team was ranked number one most of the season and were reall fun to watch. They scored 100 points or more in half of their games. Issel was just a warrior in his career at UK. If I could change the outcome and give UK and Issel that win I would. Just wondered what game loss really bothered you.
That guard you can't think of was Rex Morgan. He was a transfer from the University of Evansville which was a Division 2 school at the time Morgan was dismissed from Evansville for throwing eggs on coach McCutchens house and car. Gilmore still has the NCAA record for rebounding. I walked up to him during an expiration game at Evansville and let me tell you he was one huge guy. I have a friend named Roger Sutner that is 7'1" and Gilmore made Roger look little.

Gives rise to another topic…which would be better for UK lore, a 40-0 season or a threepeat?
Super dang! I’m not sure actually. But an undefeated season 40-0 title does send IU into further obscurity while a 3-peat delivers a modern day dynasty.

I’m gonna have to drink heavily on this issue 🥃🥃🥃 and deliver a sound and logical reasoning directly following.

1. 1975 NCAA Championship game against UCLA. We win that one and we are only 1 behind them.

2. 2015 Final 4 against Wisconsin because I have no doubt we beat Duke for the championship, 40-0 makes that team the greatest of all time.

3. 1984 Final 4 against Georgetown. I REALLY wanted Sam Bowie to go out a National Champion after all he had been through at UK.

Last edited:
I'll go with the '84 Georgetown game. The "Twin Towers" was probably my favorite UK team that didn't win a title. It would have been great for Joe B. Hall to get 2 NCs. I finally got the courage to watch that game again during the covid shutdown. Once Georgetown got the lead, they spread the floor and made us come out and guard them. This took Turpin out of the game because there was no one on G'town that he could guard. It wasn't a a four corners, but it was close. They turned up the defense and rushed our shots a little, but we still had numerous open looks in the 2nd half and couldn't hit a shot. With a shot clock, we could have stayed in a zone and made them shoot over us, and G'town wasn't a great shooting team.

Last edited:
Easy. Arizona, 1997!!!!! Three in a row!!!! You can now close this thread. 🖐😎🔥
I agree. 2015 was my first thought but that loss gave me a little bit of life perspective. I don't take any loss very hard after 2015. It showed me there is more to life than a basketball game. 1997 I was only 17 years old so I didn't need that lesson yet ;).

Reactions: BlueLegends
A lot of people assuming we'd just roll Duke had we beaten Wisconsin.

We barely got by Notre Dame to even make it to that game.

We would have been favored over Duke no doubt, but it wasn't like that game would have been a slam dunk either. I don't know where this Duke was average that year is even coming from. Duke was very good that year.

Kentucky was clearly the best team that year. But the second tier not as far behind as some would like to think was Arizona, Wisconsin and..........Duke. Those teams were 34-4, 36-4 and 35-4 respectfully that year. In no world was any of those teams not capable of knocking us off.

2009-2010 WVU game. Ultimately we woulda won the title and simultaneously taken it from Duke.
There it is. I was scouring the comments to see if anyone other than me felt the same. All the others mentioned probably rank higher to most Cat fans but, I would have loved to have seen that '09-'10 team win it all. So much energy and positivity around the program at that time. Just an awesome season.
Jody Meeks was the missing piece of what could have been a elite UK team.

Reactions: YaySports
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT