ADVERTISEMENT

IF...We Land Murray, UK Pre-Season #1(??); Favored All Games Save At KU??

If we land Murray, UK is better than Duke at every single position:

Center: Skal>Jefferson
PF: Poythress>Ingram
SF: Murray>Matt Jones
PG: Ulis>Thornton
SG: Briscoe>Allen

Bench is close:

UK Matthews, Mulder, Lee, Willis, Hawkins at least equals Duke Kennard, Obi, Jeter

Darryl

Too many posters underestimating the team even without Murray IMO. I agree with those saying that depth is overrated, and we'd got two of the top 5 PGs in the country, and possibly the POY in Skal, not to mention, Pot, and Lee who is working very hard. That's not even including Murray, who I feel is a virtual lock at this point. We were pre-season #1 in the first and only pre-season poll I've seen.

Cal has averaged almost 32 wins per year here, with 2012/13 being the outlier at 21 wins and we lost our best player.

You think Cal will only manage 23 wins without the guy? With a good vet team coming back and 3 studs?

Im not pumping sunshine like some of the others who think 2-5 losses, but only 23 i wins is the other end of the spectrum.

It's not an outlier. It's a season. By that logic, then the National Championship season is an outlier. Besides it's not an extraneous data point especially when you're dealing with an extremely limited set of value points.

It's not an outlier. It's a season. By that logic, then the National Championship season is an outlier. Besides it's not an extraneous data point especially when you're dealing with an extremely limited set of value points.
Wut? We have six years of 30+ games. We have a very good data set. And no, the NC is not an outlier if his average in the tournament is a final four every year (2 nc, 2 ff, 1 e8, 1no). Cal averages 32 wins. It's that simple. I'm sorry you don't understand stats. To say 23 wins is just crazy sunshine dumper logic. I could say we're going to win 5 games next year, but data doesn't support that conclusion.

Worst case scenario is 23-8 regular season, IMHO.

I doubt we lose at home.

Lose to Duke, @UCLA, OSU, and @KU.

Then go 14-4 in the SEC.

I think we end up at 26-5 regular season.

Lose to Duke, @UCLA or OSU, and @KU.

Then go 16-2 in the SEC.

We lose in the SEC tourney championship and enter the tourney as a 2 seed at 28-6.
great minds lol.

pretty much my exact guess as well. adding murray does change things for me. so i guess i could see a shot at 30 wins in the regular season if we stay healthy.

cal could still use a revolving door and something less menacing sounding than "platooning" - maybe "little lazy susan" instead. a group of lanky wings that we've not seen in a long time. not counting liggins, with guys like dodson, mkg etc in different categories in terms of their comfort zones and their natural versatility (on top of being a scorer) at the 3 and 2/3 hybrid.

guys like murray/mulder/matthews are (in his prime) players pitino got on our run in the 90's. if we get murray, and have lee, matthews, and mulder on the bench you may hear "turn em loose" being called in to the radio all year.

If UK is pre-season #1 it's a joke IMO, regardless of Murray. Just who is he to become so important? Despite all the platooning talk we all know Cal prefers a 6-8 man LU. He's got that. We're good for a decent year, but please let's spare the talk of 40-0 and a possible national title. If Cal couldn't make happen last season he's surely not going to this coming one.

If UK is pre-season #1 it's a joke IMO, regardless of Murray. Just who is he to become so important? Despite all the platooning talk we all know Cal prefers a 6-8 man LU. He's got that. We're good for a decent year, but please let's spare the talk of 40-0 and a possible national title. If Cal couldn't make happen last season he's surely not going to this coming one.

Pre-season polls are ALWAYS a joke. I don't think there should be any polls before January, but then how could the network pimp their games?

They sure are going to have a rough schedule and they may struggle early while they are learning to play together.But I think by March they will be as good as anyone.

Cal is still capable of winning a title as proven and UK this year is better than the two UConn teams that won it all in recent years. However I do agree that this year's team is less capable of winning it all as compared to last year's team. I expect this team to make the second weekend and with some luck they can make it to the final weekend.

Pre-season polls are ALWAYS a joke. I don't think there should be any polls before January, but then how could the network pimp their games?
I agree. The first polls shouldn't come out until the new year and rankings don't really mean that much. I always thought of rankings as more of a guide for the media. I don't even think the selection committee pays that much attention to them.

i remember thinking that after 2010. then we went to the ff the next year. and won it all the following year. but i agree with the 40-0 talk for next year being purely ignorant. people have gone undefeated but not 40 games with one team. basically half an nba season. ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT