ADVERTISEMENT

If players are now just going to go to the highest bidder...

ukfan1622

Junior
Jan 15, 2021
and no single team can afford to stock their starting lineup with All-Americans(there will be bidding wars and most teams will devote the majority of their NIL to one or two stars), that's great for Kentucky and Pope and not so great for Calipari and Arkansas.

Why do I say that?

Because the teams that win big will be the ones who get the most out of the talent they have through great coaching and development of younger players. If that turns out to be the case I'd rather have a coach that overachieved with 3 star talent than one who couldn't win big with half a dozen 5 star recruits.

edit note: just trying to think of some positive angle since we havn't had much good news lately

Just out of curiosity, who where the other players on those championship teams ? Funny you ONLY name Jeff Sheppard and Scott Padgett ? No mention of :
Nazi
Wayne Turner
Heshimu Evans
Allen Edwards
Ron Mercer
Anthony Epps
Derrick Anderson
Tony Delk
Walter McCarty
Antoine Walker
Dumb question. I specifically was referring to the 1998 team and those two were our best two shooters. If you're inferring anything else you might want to look in your own soul first. How's that sound?

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP
Who said players go to highest bidders?
I guarantee if Vandy offers 350,000, and Kentucky offers 300,000, a kid will pick Kentucky.
Players still want to be famous and win and play for high stakes for coaches they like.

Reactions: AJG-15
and no single team can afford to stock their starting lineup with All-Americans(there will be bidding wars and most teams will devote the majority of their NIL to one or two stars), that's great for Kentucky and Pope and not so great for Calipari and Arkansas.

Why do I say that?

Because the teams that win big will be the ones who get the most out of the talent they have through great coaching and development of younger players. If that turns out to be the case I'd rather have a coach that overachieved with 3 star talent than one who couldn't win big with half a dozen 5 star recruits.

edit note: just trying to think of some positive angle since we havn't had much good news lately
Pope hasn’t done anything…what are you talking about?

I don't know, Nazi (2nd leading scorer 12 ppg and leading rebounder 7.2), Wayne Turner (leading assist 4.4 / 4TH leading scorer 9.3 ppg), Allen Edwards -( 9.2 ppg / 3.3 assist / 3.2 rebounds) , and Evans, 8.8 ppg and 5.4 rebounds where pretty damn important. Call me crazy.

Why do I say that?

C'mon now. It's a full rebuilding year. You're going to have to let go of the "It's the Kentucky effect" for awhile, thanks to the idiot that left town. The best news we could have hoped for is a guy like Pope. He'll have a team.

C'mon now. It's a full rebuilding year. You're going to have to let go of the "It's the Kentucky effect" for awhile, thanks to the idiot that left town. The best news we could have hoped for is a guy like Pope. He'll have a team.
Jesus you’re a homer.

I don't understand why you're saying that in response to my post. I love UK having Pope instead of Cal but I think Pope is going to assemble a nice team next year. With the portal rebuilding doesn't take years now.

• Love
I don't understand why you're saying that in response to my post. I love UK having Pope instead of Cal but I think Pope is going to assemble a nice team next year. With the portal rebuilding doesn't take years now.
You said we haven't much good news lately. We absolutely have, we replaced a program destroyer with a guy who LOVES UK, and can actually coach offense and put someone in place to teach defense if he has to.

• Love
Reactions: ukfan1622
It depends, are you an nba caliber player? Do you need help ( development, social media hype, university/ coaching relationships to get you drafted in nba )?

Are you a guy that is a great college player but will not be a necessary great nba player? Than you milk the NIL.

You said we haven't much good news lately. We absolutely have, we replaced a program destroyer with a guy who LOVES UK, and can actually coach offense and put someone in place to teach defense if he has to.
Now I understand. Thanks!

• Love
I don’t think we can rush on judgment on Pope yet. Give the guy 2-3 years to get his feet wet and let’s see what he can do.

He literally hasn’t won a tournament game. Why do you have any faith at all?

While finding your argument specious, flawed and simplistic, I DO have to give you credit for REPLYING TO YOUR OWN POST AND AGREEING WITH YOURSELF.

Strong move.
I’m used to twitter, and that’s the best way to ensure the person you are talking to sees it. Pardon me for not spending a lot of time on a college sports message board in 2024.

Also, lol at you acting like anything I’m saying is implausible based on the facts. This was a bad hire. He is completely unproven. I hope it works out.

You do better when you argue with yourself. Stick to that.
I’ve been here longer than you have, and I haven’t ignored you yet, which suggests I thought you were one of the more reasonable ones. Seems I just didn’t catch anything you had to say at the end of the Tubby run. Bye.

He literally hasn’t won a tournament game. Why do you have any faith at all?
Zero faith is required to see the Sun during the day, you need belief in what is not as though it were during the dead of a bleak night that it will come up again.

Zero faith is required to see the Sun during the day, you need belief in what is not as though it were during the dead of a bleak night that it will come up again.
I’m not calling the death of the program. I’m just saying all the context suggests this is a mistake. I’m gonna cheer for the guy, cuz I don’t have a choice, but if I had to bet, this’ll be a 2-4 year experiment and we’re gonna move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT