ADVERTISEMENT

Does hiring Pope mean there is a behind the scenes plan?

Dec 5, 2007
Lexington
Roommates with Jeff: Reed returning

Taking less salary: frees up $ for NIL

Silent commitments or recommitments of recruits and transfers.

That’s the only way this makes sense.

I will say He’s a way better X’s and O’s coach than Cal. He was dying to be here, and he will work tirelessly. Whether or not that ultimate equals success remains to be seen. But they hired Scheyer at Duke and Davis at UNV with zero coaching experience. At least pope has coached (and been goodd) at Utah St. and BYU.

I would think this doesn't get done if Reed didn't OK it, as in, he agreed to come back. I think he was going to fall down the draft a bit. And I think he knows he can showcase a heck of a lot more of his game with Pope. He's in no real rush, 6 months ago he was figuring he'd be a 3 or even 4 year player.

The NIL stuff.. idk. I'd like to think that's what we will do. Use the money saved on salary to somehow convert to NIl, or upgrade facilities. Let's use this cheap salary to our advantage.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
They’ve got to go after Wade Taylor , cliff from Rutgers and freeman from Milwaukee. And a whole bunch more.
And he’s if Reed, Z, and Burks (or also Thiero) return we could be decent year 1.
I don’t see how any of Cal’s recruits come to Kentucky now.

They’ve got to go after Wade Taylor , cliff from Rutgers and freeman from Milwaukee. And a whole bunch more.
And he’s if Reed, Z, and Burks (or also Thiero) return we could be decent year 1.
I don’t see how any of Cal’s recruits come to Kentucky now.
Man you are living in a dream world.

Reactions: UKcrazyfan
The only way he can succeed is if his roster is stacked. Then the success of the season will cause a roller coaster of recruiting.

Roommates with Jeff: Reed returning

Taking less salary: frees up $ for NIL

Silent commitments or recommitments of recruits and transfers.

That’s the only way this makes sense.

I will say He’s a way better X’s and O’s coach than Cal. He was dying to be here, and he will work tirelessly. Whether or not that ultimate equals success remains to be seen. But they hired Scheyer at Duke and Davis at UNV with zero coaching experience. At least pope has coached (and been goodd) at Utah St. and BYU.
Mitch isn't that smart.

This was more of a "we couldn't get option one, so let's go with option 12 immediately move" on Mitch's part. He didn't want to look weak getting potentially shot down by Donovan and Hurley.

Get Reed back. Hopefully get a few of our tougher guys to come back ..

Target some grown men in the portal- idk if his roster has anyone or if byu kids even transfer like that. But man this still feels like a reach. Wow

Reactions: track42
It's about recruiting. I just don't see him putting together a winning roster this year. Then it do or die the next!

That's why IMO you get someone like a pearl for 5 years then hire pope if he is still successful!
I agree with this. Pearl should have been hired on a 5 year deal.

After that deal you assess Pearl to extend or go after Pope or Golden depending on who has the better resume or someone else.

What it means is that Barnhart is lazy, and didn't try.

But, Pope is a much better coach than Cal. If the NIL money is there, and we can land top recruits, i won't have any concerns.

Reactions: Chief Paducah
We could have 20 reeds and it wouldn’t matter. He’s not lebron

Who cares what he does at this point

Reactions: JFCats22
Nice of Pope to do the program a favor. He could’ve gotten much better jobs.

He’ll use as a stepping stone and move on.

I’m ok being used though!!!

Reactions: KFuqua
Why do dummies keep saying if we pay Pope less we can use the other money for NIL?

That’s not how it freaking works MORONS!!!

It's about recruiting. I just don't see him putting together a winning roster this year. Then it do or die the next!

That's why IMO you get someone like a pearl for 5 years then hire pope if he is still successful!
With all due respect, Cal had the #1 or #2 class every year the past how many years. If it’s all about recruiting …..WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED?

What it means is that Barnhart is lazy, and didn't try.

But, Pope is a much better coach than Cal. If the NIL money is there, and we can land top recruits, i won't have any concerns.

We don't know pope is a much better coach than cal. Remains to be seen. Cal has a title and 6 final fours. Cal has more titles than Pope has ncaa tourney wins.

I don't think Reed will be drafted as high as projected. At least 50-50 he stays now.

I highly doubt it

Kentucky_Gillispie2_colo.jpg

Reactions: BlueVoodoo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT