ADVERTISEMENT

I Remember a Time…

Boring grind it games.

Head in the sand approach by the head coach. Today he said he’s not concerned about our half court offense. Wow.

Stubbornness by the head coach to not play lineups that give us the best chance to succeed. Said for Chris to play the 4 he needs to scrimmage at the 4. Well who controls that . Need more shooting on the floor with Reeves Fredrick and Wallace and less Wheeler being the shooter.

Not getting in your business Uncle J but you need to be more visible. You'd think you actually have a life outside of RR.... Geez, get with the program. Don't make me bring out the gif.

Reactions: jedwar
A head coach who essentially refuses to coach basketball will do that for you.

What strategies do you think he specifically worked on this week to win against Yale? How much film of Yale did the team watch? What in game moves did he make to adjust to what Yale was doing and make it more difficult for them?

It's uninspiring and shameful to watch a once great program mail it in game after game and continue to struggle. And they do that in the post season as well.
This statement is apt for me, too: "It's uninspiring and shameful to watch a once great program mail it in game after game . . . ."

There was a time when I listened to the pre game. Set either the DVR or before that put in a VHS tape. Watched the game every minute. Listened to the post game shows. Then watched the game multiple times. Now, I may watch the game if I don’t forget we’re playing. Yes, times have changed. And I’m pretty sad about it. Been watching since the 66 NC game when my sister still makes fun of me crying after the game. I was 4
I'm 78 started listening to them when i was 7 with my dad, on a battery operated radio. I still try to watch every game, but its hard some times not to turn it off. What really gets your attention is when you watch some of these other teams and see how hard they play and how well they are prepared you realize ky is not a top 25 team.

Still love the Cats and always will but this routine we see is old.Its insanity to keep doing the same shit time after time after time and expect a different result.I didn't watch today simply because I did laundry and housework while my wife was working....now when you do this,how invested do you actually think you are?

Most of the younger fans on this site have no idea of what being a UK fan was like in the 60s and 70s. Games were not on TV very often and getting a ticket to a home game was nearly impossible. I went to open practices before Notre Dame games at Freedom Hall in Louisville and the arena was nearly full to capacity. It was great to be there, truly an event to cherish. When the Cats came to town, a fan had to try to catch a glimpse. Now, empty seats everywhere.

Boring, grind it out basketball. It’s like we are content going 65 on the autobahn. Everyone knew Oscar was getting the ball every time in the final 15 minutes. That won’t work against good times

Coaches, and the coaches now have the players do their talking in post game interviews throwing out stats, would of - could of s, and imaginations

They even had the announcer giving the moderator’s and Cal’s talking points about lack of practice

I mean our players are now even flexing after put backs!

We will look good against Kansas because Kansas will run and let us run

Arkansas and Alabama are going to have a field day with us

Cal is coasting. How do I know? No new plays or changes, yet he still has the same reactions to open 3s and not getting rebounds. The foot stomp and simultaneous arm flail. It’s all show. It’s all his mindset and he’s giving our players the same mindset.

That’s absolutely an issue. That can’t continue to happen. But I can tell you why it happens. Wheeler creates his own shot more than our other guards. These other guys need to start attacking. Most of wheelers takes happen late in the shot clock. The other dudes can’t create and the ball ends up back in wheelers hands. It’s a systemic issue. I don’t always blame wheeler for attacking
In what world is it not the guards ( and coaches) fault when he stands at the top of the key pounding the air out of the ball for 25 seconds? Wheels makes one pass, if he gets it back that's it... he thinks noone wanted it so he keeps it.

Most of the younger fans on this site have no idea of what being a UK fan was like in the 60s and 70s. Games were not on TV very often and getting a ticket to a home game was nearly impossible. I went to open practices before Notre Dame games at Freedom Hall in Louisville and the arena was nearly full to capacity. It was great to be there, truly an event to cherish. When the Cats came to town, a fan had to try to catch a glimpse. Now, empty seats everywhere.
My grandfather and I would go. Some of my most cherished memories with him.

When almost all UK basketball fans had fun watching the game and wanting the next one to happen tomorrow. It’s become a debate about this or that now. I remember when a UK basketball game was an event… not so much anymore. Sincerely, how did it get here from what it was? Something that most of us used to treasure has become nothing more than something to argue about. What is the common point that most of us agree on?
I agree with what you say b/c I too remember those days. I honestly believe the difference is Calipari being driven by motives that are not about winning Titles. His motives are not in the best interest of the University and this Program. When he hears criticism, he strikes out at the offending party or BBN in general. He's a very divisive man and he's been this way for his entire career. He's thrown the UK program under the bus, and he will happily destroy it to serve his Sick and Twisted purposes. BBN is fed up and rightfully so. Just my opinion.

Haven't watched a game all year,I get the highlights and lowlights from this board but I don't see Cal winning another championship here at least not with this team. Next year will probably be his last shot.

When almost all UK basketball fans had fun watching the game and wanting the next one to happen tomorrow. It’s become a debate about this or that now. I remember when a UK basketball game was an event… not so much anymore. Sincerely, how did it get here from what it was? Something that most of us used to treasure has become nothing more than something to argue about. What is the common point that most of us agree on?
John Vincent Calipari.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
In what world is it not the guards ( and coaches) fault when he stands at the top of the key pounding the air out of the ball for 25 seconds? Wheels makes one pass, if he gets it back that's it... he thinks noone wanted it so he keeps it.
Well I think he’s right. I don’t see anyone else attacking. You’re also exaggerating the one pass thing. We do a lot of passing with no attacking.

I still watch every Cat game, probably will till I die. Today is anniversary of my father's death, the last timee I ever saw him was he stopped by my house and we watched UK beat Indiana. He wentj to UK and I buried him wearing his Wildcat tie. My son's and I watched every UK game when they were growing up, they are men now and still come to my house and watch when we play in the big dance. Our program is in a down turn right now but is hardly the first one I have seen.
I was thrilled when Cal came and stayed that way till about 2016. I wish he would leave but it's not my call so I'm stuck with him. I still enjoy watching UK play, enjoyed today's game despite all its flaws because it was a W, and if you can't savor victory then you shouldn't watch. Winning is what sports is really about and the last 3 games we have won. I'm sure I'll bitch as much as anybody when we lose again because I hate seeing the Cats lose. Finally I REFUSE TO ALLOW CAL OR ANY OTHER COACH THE POWER TO CHANGE MY LOVE OF UK BASKETBALL

So was at my mothers house visiting with my wife and kids. Two went to UK and the other is home on Xmas break from his college and is an athlete at his small college. All of us enjoy sports. My daughter who is a diehard didnt watch at all as she wrapped presents for my mom. My two sons didn’t watch either. One who never played soccer put the France vs England soccer match on his phone and was very into the match. The other son read Bengals/NFL stuff on his phone. All of them said is just isn’t fun to watch UK anymore.

Something we used to always plan a day around is not now. Kind of sucks. We are not an expect a Final Four every year fans but just want to watch something that resembles high quality basketball.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
What I do not understand are "fans" who did not remember that we had a game, or did not watch. But they remembered to log on and post.
Easy, I’m on here everyday. I knew we had a game I just didn’t watch

My interest hasn't changed one bit. Still get enjoyment out of games. There are certainly frustrating moments but I'm not as down on the team as many are right now. Still seeing some promising things.

Yale is a good ball team too. This game kind of had a second round feel to it. If not for the poor shooting last 10 mins of first half I think people would be happier with performance today. Those are the things that are concerning to me...these long draughts.
It's the insistence on playing lineups that ensure the game will be a rock fight. The fact that numerous players that have no offensive capabilities are on the floor together, with bad spacing, and a small point guard forcing up 14 shots.

Was a die hard fan since 1975, never thought the day would come that I could give a $h!t less. When they all took the knee in '20, I was out. First time I've been on the forum for quite a while. Maybe come back when Cal is gone. Not until. He'll never win another title. Hell it's going on 11 years now. 8 since a final four. When he leaves....Maybe. Honestly, I don't think so.

You’re asking posters what the common point is we can all agree on, and I pretty sure you already know the answer to your question. Most can agree that no one is happy about how the basketball team has performed this year. No one thinks Wheeler should shoot more. Most just want Cal gone, and others just think he needs to change his style of coaching. Most believe Toppin needs to be benched, and Livingston should get his minutes. Collins should be used at the 5, and Ware‘s minutes should go to Ugo.

My interest hasn't changed one bit. Still get enjoyment out of games. There are certainly frustrating moments but I'm not as down on the team as many are right now. Still seeing some promising things.

Yale is a good ball team too. This game kind of had a second round feel to it. If not for the poor shooting last 10 mins of first half I think people would be happier with performance today. Those are the things that are concerning to me...these long draughts.
2nd round? Felt more like a 5 vs a 12 to me.

post of the year right here

Reactions: The Snoke
Some of you are a bit unbelievable... Totally forgot there was a game on or had better things to do, yet you still find time to come on the message board and complain? That's pretty strange to me. This was a solid win, and improvement can be seen. Still not perfect of course, but came out playing with energy and built a solid lead early. They did give the lead away but made a really solid game-winning run when they needed to. Yale is a tournament team, and it never really felt like the game was in question. The tone of this thread: FAIR-WEATHERED.

Reactions: Graham51
Some of you are a bit unbelievable... Totally forgot there was a game on or had better things to do, yet you still find time to come on the message board and complain? That's pretty strange to me. This was a solid win, and improvement can be seen. Still not perfect of course, but came out playing with energy and built a solid lead early. They did give the lead away but made a really solid game-winning run when they needed to. Yale is a tournament team, and it never really felt like the game was in question. The tone of this thread: FAIR-WEATHERED.
What ever. You either are young or do not remember or understand. It used to be different. It’s not the same anymore. WOW ! We beat Yale! That’s silly sir.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Feel like you haven’t been watching us much (which I know isn’t true) over the past few years. When Yale took the lead in the 2nd half, the game was very much in question. Certainly glad we pulled away, but there’s a scenario where we lose that game. We’ve done it enough lately to know it was a possibility.

Feel like you haven’t been watching us much (which I know isn’t true) over the past few years. When Yale took the lead in the 2nd half, the game was very much in question. Certainly glad we pulled away, but there’s a scenario where we lose that game. We’ve done it enough lately to know it was a possibility.
Yes, I've been watching. Just telling you my own personal gut feeling. You know, when you just know things aren't going to work out... I personally never had that feeling yesterday. I don't love that we've built leads and given them away in the last two games especially. But finding ways to win while we continue to gel is key this time of year. Again, far from perfect, but if you're comparing this game to a 5/12 match-up (which I agree with), this was a solid win.

What ever. You either are young or do not remember or understand. It used to be different. It’s not the same anymore. WOW ! We beat Yale! That’s silly sir.
I am 37 years old. Grew up with Pitino, and have been watching intently ever since. I don't "forget" games are on. I'm not here saying, Wow! We beat Yale! I'm saying it's sad for Kentucky "fans" to have forgotten the game was on.

So much has changed that is hard for an ole timer like me to adjust to.

NIL, new team every year, generational poverty, rock fights, playing good teams away from Rupp or home and home......just hard for me.

Reactions: westerncat
I've said for years that UK is the easiest team to prepare for, he lets you dictate the tempo, no in game adjustments, no zone, no press, if for no other reason try to make the other team think a little. I'm not one that gets on here and blasts cal all the time, but damn he makes it hard some times.

I am 37 years old. Grew up with Pitino, and have been watching intently ever since. I don't "forget" games are on. I'm not here saying, Wow! We beat Yale! I'm saying it's sad for Kentucky "fans" to have forgotten the game was on.
I don’t forget we’re playing, but I certainly don’t plan my days around it like I once did.

Fair enough. I was there when Sutton, Pitino, BCG, and Cal coached their first game at Rupp. I remember when Cal lost his first game at Rupp. It hurt. I have a long history with this program…. I promise, it’s not what used to be although I think it could be. Other than the ice cream, this program keeps regressing.

Reactions: know1
I stopped in the middle my Saturday chore this week - putting up the outside Christmas decorations, and came inside to watch the game. I watched for about 10 minutes and then hit record and went back outside. There was a time I would never have done this. I watched the game later Saturday and was left underwhelmed, again, wondering why we continue to play this way against obviously inferior teams. Add to that the fact that Cal is just SO unlikable as a coach, and always has been. The whole situation just sucks all the way around.

I love watching all the games because I am a Kentucky fan. Same way with the Bengals. If I can watch the Bengals for 50 years then I can watch a few hiccups in UK basketball here and there.

What team ISN'T having ups and downs? Kind of the lay of the land now.

I am 77 years old and still enjoy watching the UK games BUT I am at the point where I do not expect this team to win the big games anymore. Will not be surprised to see UCLA win this Saturday. Cal is just not a great bench coach and the game is just not exciting to watch anymore. When PInito was coaching here is was really fun to watch the games because they played with desire to win.

When almost all UK basketball fans had fun watching the game and wanting the next one to happen tomorrow. It’s become a debate about this or that now. I remember when a UK basketball game was an event… not so much anymore. Sdid it get here from what it was? Something that most of us used to treasure has become nothing more than something to argue about. What is the common point
I love watching all the games because I am a Kentucky fan. Same way with the Bengals. If I can watch the Bengals for 50 years then I can watch a few hiccups in UK basketball here and there.

What team ISN'T having ups and downs? Kind of the lay of the land now.
At least the bengals been looking good last 4 games

Reactions: Rino_Ron
I am 77 years old and still enjoy watching the UK games BUT I am at the point where I do not expect this team to win the big games anymore. Will not be surprised to see UCLA win this Saturday. Cal is just not a great bench coach and the game is just not exciting to watch anymore. When PInito was coaching here is was really fun to watch the games because they played with desire to win.
The game has moved beyond Pitino and Cal both. Any team that can play something other than AAU ball can play UK a decent game. Cal is getting outcoached, out worked and out prepared it is as simple as that.

We pressed a little yesterday but not long enough to influence the tempo.. Oscar and Cason are a joy to watch, Ugo is making strides and has mice basketball instincts, Livingston shows flashes of good play. Even with those players we are barely a top 25 team. How is that not 100% on Cal and his "coaching"

Fair enough. I was there when Sutton, Pitino, BCG, and Cal coached their first game at Rupp. I remember when Cal lost his first game at Rupp. It hurt. I have a long history with this program…. I promise, it’s not what used to be although I think it could be. Other than the ice cream, this program keeps regressing.
It's my contention people are prisoners of the moment too often in life. There aren't any other programs in college basketball that boasts five different coaches winning national championships (unless I'm mistaken). Cal is part of that. He is far from perfect. He isn't bigger than Kentucky, and he's closer to the end of his time here than the beginning. But we do have the pieces to be in the mix again, and if we can put it together at the right time we have a chance to bring home another title THIS YEAR.

The outcomes of the last couple years have sucked. And that was on the heels of no tournament. BBN is very thirsty to win and win now because it's felt like a very long time (and that's a reasonable feeling). All I know is, Kentucky basketball is something I wait for all year long... So when it's here, I'm going to enjoy it to the best of my abilities. If UK puts it together and makes a run to the final four (or better), I won't be one of those fans that has grumbled along the way, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Because honestly, that's sounds like an awful way to "enjoy" my favorite time of year.

As always, to each their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT