ADVERTISEMENT

I Remember a Time…

The Snoke

Sophomore
Dec 15, 2020
Center of the Earth
When almost all UK basketball fans had fun watching the game and wanting the next one to happen tomorrow. It’s become a debate about this or that now. I remember when a UK basketball game was an event… not so much anymore. Sincerely, how did it get here from what it was? Something that most of us used to treasure has become nothing more than something to argue about. What is the common point that most of us agree on?

Boring grind it games.

Head in the sand approach by the head coach. Today he said he’s not concerned about our half court offense. Wow.

Stubbornness by the head coach to not play lineups that give us the best chance to succeed. Said for Chris to play the 4 he needs to scrimmage at the 4. Well who controls that . Need more shooting on the floor with Reeves Fredrick and Wallace and less Wheeler being the shooter.

Hard to admit this, but can you honestly say you were this disinterested with UK basketball at the end of Tubby's tenure?
Hell what about Billy Clyde?
I was also younger and had more free time. So not a fair comparison.

BCG had me completely shut down as I didn’t expect us to win Jack diddly.

A head coach who essentially refuses to coach basketball will do that for you.

What strategies do you think he specifically worked on this week to win against Yale? How much film of Yale did the team watch? What in game moves did he make to adjust to what Yale was doing and make it more difficult for them?

It's uninspiring and shameful to watch a once great program mail it in game after game and continue to struggle. And they do that in the post season as well.

I still enjoy watching. The start of the first and end of the second was enjoyable. The middle made me nearly scream blood.

It’s infuriating that Cal sees something that works and goes “Nah. Not what I want”.
I had an opportunity to do something that would’ve been much more enjoyable today. I’m kicking myself for staying home to watch the rock fight.
I’m hoping I can move past wanting to watch because it’s so frustrating!

Boring grind it games.

Head in the sand approach by the head coach. Today he said he’s not concerned about our half court offense. Wow.

Stubbornness by the head coach to not play lineups that give us the best chance to succeed. Said for Chris to play the 4 he needs to scrimmage at the 4. Well who controls that . Need more shooting on the floor with Reeves Fredrick and Wallace and less Wheeler being the shooter.
He just spews garbage. It's his job and he controls every aspect of this team.

He designs no plays for Frederick. Put Livingston at the 4 and see what happens. He won't do either of those things.

Boring grind it games.

I've said it twice already but I fell asleep today. I know some will say that's me but I would have never fallen asleep in the past.

Hard to admit this, but can you honestly say you were this disinterested with UK basketball at the end of Tubby's tenure?
I want cal gone every bit as much as I wanted tubby gone. That being said I can still watch games now with some interest due to some of the talent we have, mainly Oscar and Wallace (this year). I couldn’t stomach watching tubbys last year and honestly didn’t care if we won or lost.

Reactions: etownblue25
I want cal gone every bit as much as I wanted tubby gone. That being said I can still watch games now with some interest due to some of the talent we have, mainly Oscar and Wallace (this year). I couldn’t stomach watching tubbys last year and honestly didn’t care if we won or lost.
I hear you, but I watch now and the coaching issues outweigh the talent.
I just can't overcome how much more TALENTED we were than St.Peters.
And it seems like every other non UK game I watch I see teams that would kill us.
Just hard to expect anything different than the last few years for me.

When tubby was on the bench he was trying to win, he actually coached.
Billy Clyde was so far over his head that he had no idea what he was doing

Cal is just doing his own thing which has little to do with UK basketball

All that being said Billy Clyde couldn't run me off from being a UK fan and try as he might Cal won't be able to do it either so, suck it Cal you can't do enough goof ball stuff to run me off.

Boring grind it games.

@IL Wildcat where’s the lie?

Yeah since the last few games have been at noon which is when I'm at work it hasn't been a true GameDay for me in a few weeks. We had the game on and we would glance at it but nobody gave a shit bout the game 2day. No cooler talk, no lineup talk we just worked and laughed at once was a must see Saturday game against UNC or Indiana in December is now YALE.

I've said it twice already but I fell asleep today. I know some will say that's me but I would have never fallen asleep in the past.
I did fall asleep one time about 30 years ago when Pitino was coach and Kentucky was beating someone by 30+ points. I was milking cows at the time and getting up at 4 am. However, my wife asked me if I was going to watch the game today and I told her “yes, I don’t have anything better to do.” It’s sad that this is what it’s come to for us.

I was somewhat disinterested during the end of Tubbys tenure .The Shaedon Sharpe , kneeling for the national anthem, being a smart ass to fans combination has brought on a different feeling than then .I’d say “disgusted “ . I never had the animosity with tubby that I do for this snake oil salesman .

I was somewhat disinterested during the end of Tubbys tenure .The Shaedon Sharpe , kneeling for the national anthem, being a smart ass to fans combination has brought on a different feeling than then .I’d say “disgusted “ . I never had the animosity with tubby that I do for this snake oil salesman .
Its odd. I’m the same way. When Tubby went on that incredible run, I felt that I was vested, completely. Since that time, I hope, I wish, but nothing feels the same. Cal has brought some great players but as far as each game being an event, it’s almost Groundhog’s Day. Same ol’, same ol’.

I had an opportunity to do something that would’ve been much more enjoyable today. I’m kicking myself for staying home to watch the rock fight.
I’m hoping I can move past wanting to watch because it’s so frustrating!
Me too. I went to lunch with 2 high school friends I haven't seen for a year. Even though the game was on the TV, I never looked. Not once.

This ^. For sure.

My interest hasn't changed one bit. Still get enjoyment out of games. There are certainly frustrating moments but I'm not as down on the team as many are right now. Still seeing some promising things.

Yale is a good ball team too. This game kind of had a second round feel to it. If not for the poor shooting last 10 mins of first half I think people would be happier with performance today. Those are the things that are concerning to me...these long draughts.

Actually did not even realize that played today. Been a HUGE fan since I was 11 and never thought I'd see this day after 62 years. Absolutely zero desire whether I watch or not.

Had to go to my buddie’s house and work on my car, so I missed the first half. Wife was on the phone with her Dad and told him I had missed the first half. He said to tell me I shouldn’t watch it on an empty stomach. She told me it was difficult to watch. 🤣

I literally forgot Kentucky had a game today. I don't know if that's ever happened. I'm glad I didn't see that crap today. I remember a time where these kinds of games were 30 point wins. I don't know why even the most level headed optimistic UK fan is still ok with current Kentucky basketball.
Go back and look at responses to my posts the last 3-4 years. It’s not pretty. But here we are.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
You damn right I was. I absolutely miserable during the Clyde era. Let me just remind you where we were at. The head coach running around drunk and making an ass of himself. He was making kids stand in the bathroom and ride separate busses home. He was a train wreck who refused to even sign his contract.

Now let’s talk about his recruiting. He offered a no talent 8th grader as well as a kid who averaged single digits at Asbury. The fanbase was pumped for some kid named mcClintok. Oh and the team sucked and couldn’t win with Patterson and Meeks.

If you are more unhappy now than you were for Clyde then YOU have a problem. Don’t blame the team for this one. You have short circuited

By the way, Wheeler took more shots than Wallace, Fredrick and Reeves combined. Saw that stat on HOB earlier. 😆
That’s absolutely an issue. That can’t continue to happen. But I can tell you why it happens. Wheeler creates his own shot more than our other guards. These other guys need to start attacking. Most of wheelers takes happen late in the shot clock. The other dudes can’t create and the ball ends up back in wheelers hands. It’s a systemic issue. I don’t always blame wheeler for attacking

Many let the negatives consume them to the point that they can't even go into a thread without vomiting the same phrases they have for months. I think we all understand many of Cals and the players flaws at this point, yet a % of this board acts like they are breaking this news in every post.

There was a time when I listened to the pre game. Set either the DVR or before that put in a VHS tape. Watched the game every minute. Listened to the post game shows. Then watched the game multiple times. Now, I may watch the game if I don’t forget we’re playing. Yes, times have changed. And I’m pretty sad about it. Been watching since the 66 NC game when my sister still makes fun of me crying after the game. I was 4

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT