ADVERTISEMENT

I learned something about this Program ...

Bluesbrother

Junior
May 23, 2002
... years ago when Dr Roselle forced CM Newton to "offer" the UKBB coaching job to Rick Pitino. What I learned and had not witnessed before was the juggernaut that UK basketball was when the right coach and personality is hired to lead the program. I was shocked initially at the excitement and juice nationally ... something I had never seen before. That said, the coaching personality as well as coaching prowess is paramount for a program like UK. Pitino and Calipari checked those boxes. Unfortunately, Tubby did not and I fear that Drew will not check that box either. Hurley does check that box and probably Donovan, as well. I am sure Drew is a good man but I just don't see him as the right hire based on my recent observations of the success of former coaches that have excelled here. UK should never settle for less and Barnhart should never be the last word on this hire. Everyone knows that he and Drew are buddies, and this smells more like a self-serving hire for Barnhart that will allow him to coast and call it a career.

So who comes if Drew turns it down? If he turns it down, you’re in for an even more major disappointment, I’m afraid.
Sadly, it's all pointless if I'm being honest. There is one "best" path forward and finding it takes insight and foresight and may require added work from the AD. That said, I have no faith that the "best" path will be the chosen path. Wish it were different. We laid in Calipari's bed for too long and it will take some time before we can rid ourselves of the fleas.

Last edited:
... years ago when Dr Roselle forced CM Newton to "offer" the UKBB coaching job to Rick Pitino. What I learned and had not witnessed before was the juggernaut that UK basketball was when the right coach and personality is hired to lead the program. I was shocked initially at the excitement and juice nationally ... something I had never seen before. That said, the coaching personality as well as coaching prowess is paramount for a program like UK. Pitino and Calipari checked those boxes. Unfortunately, Tubby did not and I fear that Drew will not check that box either. Hurley does check that box and probably Donovan, as well. I am sure Drew is a good man but I just don't see him as the right hire based on my recent observations of the success of former coaches that have excelled here. UK should never settle for less and Barnhart should never be the last word on this hire. Everyone knows that he and Drew are buddies, and this smells more like a self-serving hire for Barnhart that will allow him to coast and call it a career.
How do you feel about Drew now?

How do you feel about Drew now?
... the same, of course. That's not the point, is it? We have an AD unwilling to do his job and, if necessary, make the hard but necessary choices. He is FAILING in an impressive way ... it's who he has been unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT