ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll die on this hill but

By the numbers he's practically identical to Drew. The thing I like about Pearl over Drew is that Pearl covets this job so much he would agree to a two-year probationary contract with no nasty buyout. If Mitch would get shrewd enough to bring Pearl in that way..............Honestly, I still wouldn't feel good about it, just because of Mitch's personality. I could see Mitch bringing Pearl in on a probationary status like that but then turning around and gifting him a huge, school-killing high buyout contract after two years and two Round of 32 appearances. So if we're talking short-term cheap probationary contracts give me Pitino all day long. Equal risk and higher potential payoff.

But in an imaginary world where Pearl would take a two-year probationary contract and then only re-up if we'd at least hit an Elite Eight and only re-up for another two years unless we'd hit a Final Four, versus the only other choice being Drew who I know wouldn't take a contract like that, then in that world, yeah, give me Pearl.

This may be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. What the hell is a "two-year probationary contract"? There is no chance in hell any coach would agree to such a stupid thing.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Drew has 11+losses in 4 of his last seven season.Just what we need.
What about the other seasons ? How about the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons ? ALL coaches have down years, especially after losing championship caliber rosters. Usually after a real nice, deep couple year runs, they have to reload. NOBODY wins year in and year out. Hurley has had some pretty rough years before his run. Next year (if he stays), he has his work cut out for him, losing his top 5-7 players, and has only the 35th ranked class coming in next year. (only 2 four stars, and the only two signings) A TWO man class, for a coach that has won back to back titles. HMMM.

What about the other seasons ? How about the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons ? ALL coaches have down years, especially after losing championship caliber rosters. Usually after a real nice, deep couple year runs, they have to reload. NOBODY wins year in and year out. Hurley has had some pretty rough years before his run. Next year (if he stays), he has his work cut out for him, losing his top 5-7 players, and has only the 35th ranked class coming in next year. (only 2 four stars, and the only two signings) A TWO man class, for a coach that has won back to back titles. HMMM.
Well Cal had an amazing run early so you we have kept him forever based off that?Drew has managed no tourney championships in his league,one tie for the season league and 3 knockouts when he was a 1 and 3 seed.Cal could give us trhat.

I would put Shaka ahead of Pearl and Drew.

My man, that might be the worst take I’ve ever read on the board and I mean that. I’m suprised it came from you.

My list is logical and it’s how it should go. Oats is so overrated he’s streaky. Just don’t like it like many.

1. Hurley
2. Donovan
3. Drew

And ALL would win here. Donovan not as fast.

Pearl, Oats, pass. Shaka shouldn’t even be on a list of 10. I have no idea why someone would want Shaka over Drew. Drew created a power program from ashes with nothing. He’d kill it here.

Hes at BAYLOR what part of that doesn’t commute? How old are you man? I’m old enough to remember Baylor laying in ashes in little Waco Texas and nobody wanted it. They had no fans, no base, no money for basketball, and no reputation.

He single handedly took the worst basketball job and turned it into a place that beats Kentucky and Duke for the recruits he wants. lol!! He turned it into a championship program. Good lord.

Man what you’re doing is pretending he’s at some great program without realizing it was the worst basketball place in America. So you can keep overlooking that but it doesn’t mean you’re right.

Kentucky would kill it with Drew. Take the better seasons and that’s what you’d get out of him here. It’s like talkin to sand. Come on yall.

Do you believe Kentucky matters or does it not?

Reactions: m080470
Hes at BAYLOR what part of that doesn’t commute? How old are you man? I’m old enough to remember Baylor laying in ashes in little Waco Texas and nobody wanted it. They had no fans, no base, no money for basketball, and no reputation.

He single handedly took the worst basketball job and turned it into a place that beats Kentucky and Duke for the recruits he wants. lol!! He turned it into a championship program. Good lord.

Man what you’re doing is pretending he’s at some great program without realizing it was the worst basketball place in America. So you can keep overlooking that but it doesn’t mean you’re right.

Kentucky would kill it with Drew. Take the better seasons and that’s what you’d get out of him here. It’s like talkin to sand. Come on yall.
Well yeah I'm sure fans of other programs would love us to take Drew....

If we miss on the top 3 options assuming they are Hurley, Billy D, and Oats, and you’re next 2 on that list are Drew and Pearl then give me Pearl. The reason being is that guy would run through a brick wall to coach this program, he has the personality to handle this fan base and he would give that energy we need. I would take him over Drew all day long.
I believe either would be great hires .

• Sad
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Honestly if between Drew and Pearl give me Pearl

Not because I feel like one is massively better than the other (I don't know either could have success here or they could both fail) but because Drew is boring and Pearl most certainly isn't lol.

Hurley at UCONN before having a great 2 year run.

18-19 season - 16-17 - No bid lost 85-54 in the conf. tournament
19-20 season - 19-12 - No bid
20-21 season - 15-8 - Had 8 losses in only 23 games. Lost 1st round to Maryland / 2nd to Creighton in the BE tournament.
21-22 season - 23-10 - 1st round loss to New Mexico / Got bounced in the Big East tournament 2nd round by 8
seed Nova.

First 4 years : 73-47, missed tournament 2 times out of 4, lost in the 1st round of the NCAA the other 2.

Reactions: m080470
My man, that might be the worst take I’ve ever read on the board and I mean that. I’m suprised it came from you.

My list is logical and it’s how it should go. Oats is so overrated he’s streaky. Just don’t like it like many.

1. Hurley
2. Donovan
3. Drew

And ALL would win here. Donovan not as fast.

Pearl, Oats, pass. Shaka shouldn’t even be on a list of 10. I have no idea why someone would want Shaka over Drew. Drew created a power program from ashes with nothing. He’d kill it here.
Super young coach still, his players love him, and he runs some of the best sets offensively and defensively that I have seen. He was too young to take on a bigger role at Texas, success happened too early. He is on his way back and will be the next big name again very soon.

Plus he has a show cause on his record. He cheats. Geez people. Pearl ain’t comin’ either.
Does “show cause “ ever expire? Just curious if that is something that stays forever or if they set a time limit. I don’t think Mitch would hire Pearl regardless. Just curious.

Hurley at UCONN before having a great 2 year run.

18-19 season - 16-17 - No bid lost 85-54 in the conf. tournament
19-20 season - 19-12 - No bid
20-21 season - 15-8 - Had 8 losses in only 23 games. Lost 1st round to Maryland / 2nd to Creighton in the BE tournament.
21-22 season - 23-10 - 1st round loss to New Mexico / Got bounced in the Big East tournament 2nd round by 8
seed Nova.

First 4 years : 73-47, missed tournament 2 times out of 4, lost in the 1st round of the NCAA the other 2.
Are you seriously comparing a guy who just won back to back titles to Scott Drew who had one title years ago>Just wow.

Well yeah I'm sure fans of other programs would love us to take Drew....

Yea man you don’t get it. And I’m gonna lay off ya because it’s just something you’re not gonna be able to see.

We both hated the Calipari nonsense. Don’t you want to see a guy who is an excellent X’s and O’s coach? Go watch Baylor games and watch this guy Don’t forget; he’s not at Kansas. He’s not at Kentucky. He’s doing his at a dog crap program. Don’t let that skip your mind because that’s why you’re having issues with it.

I want to see great coaching, from a legitimately good guy, from a guy who brand himself to the UK program and become even better. I want to see his top 5 classes, the way he can forge roster configuration from the portal. I want to see that it’s been a long time. I want to see Reed have the option to play to stay because of a coach like that. To play with sis, and Edgecombe who’s a legit beast. Not a Calipari fraud who jumps and taunts. I want to see us hit the ground running with a top 5 team which he will have. He shouldn’t even be in the tournament at Baylor. Lol

Scott Drew will win title(s) here. It’s BAYLOR, Kentucky matters. It will brand his name to the goat program and he will do things he can’t do at Baylor. I’d give him the next call after Donovan. You think what you want doesn’t matter. You’re wrong.

So pick your poison, Pearl has the personality for the job. Could Drew handle the pressure?
Yeah, I don't care about the personality. That's a total non-factor for me.

John Calipari had the personality. When the winning went away, we wanted him gone. At the end of the day, the winning is ALL that matters to me.

If Drew wins, and I think he will, I don't think the pressure is going to matter.
Flipside: If Pearl loses, his personality won't save him.

It all comes down to wins and losses. And I have more faith in Drew to win.

Yeah but like...

He's at Baylor. Ya'll get that, right? He took over a school after a murder scandal and a bunch of NCAA infractions. And he's continued to win a lot despite it being just that--Baylor.

So yeah, if he comes to Kentucky, he'll do quite a bit better. Unless of course, we just don't think Kentucky actually matters. If you think a guy gets the same results at Kentucky that he gets at Baylor, then Kentucky = Baylor.

If we miss on the top 3 options assuming they are Hurley, Billy D, and Oats, and you’re next 2 on that list are Drew and Pearl then give me Pearl. The reason being is that guy would run through a brick wall to coach this program, he has the personality to handle this fan base and he would give that energy we need. I would take him over Drew all day long.
Drew has a ring. Pearl does not.

If all of Wright, Hurley, Stevens, Donovan, and Oates turns us down, sure. Give Pearl a call. Then Scott.

Pearl isn't. A bad coach. He's done well at UT and Auburn, which is basically like overcoming the handicap of being a one legged dude in am ass-kicking contest. At UK, he might be great. He has the personality for it, like some have said. That can't be understated. Swaggy Cal was legit back in the day.

Yea man you don’t get it. And I’m gonna lay off ya because it’s just something you’re not gonna be able to see.

We both hated the Calipari nonsense. Don’t you want to see a guy who is an excellent X’s and O’s coach? Go watch Baylor games and watch this guy Don’t forget; he’s not at Kansas. He’s not at Kentucky. He’s doing his at a dog crap program. Don’t let that skip your mind because that’s why you’re having issues with it.

I want to see great coaching, from a legitimately good guy, from a guy who brand himself to the UK program and become even better. I want to see his top 5 classes, the way he can forge roster configuration from the portal. I want to see that it’s been a long time. I want to see Reed have the option to play to stay because of a coach like that. To play with sis, and Edgecombe who’s a legit beast. Not a Calipari fraud who jumps and taunts. I want to see us hit the ground running with a top 5 team which he will have. He shouldn’t even be in the tournament at Baylor. Lol

Scott Drew will win title(s) here. It’s BAYLOR, Kentucky matters. It will brand his name to the goat program and he will do things he can’t do at Baylor. I’d give him the next call after Donovan. You think what you want doesn’t matter. You’re wrong.
Why is an Arkansas fan pushing so hard for Drew to UK?Yeah because you want a bad hire.

2nd day in a row you said Pearl was interested or would run through a wall to coach here, why do you say that?

He would burn Cal’s a** twice a year if anything. That alone would make some people happy. He would be a great fit. I would take him over Oats and Drew. Donovan seems like a too lofty expectation even for us but there’s hope.

Well Cal had an amazing run early so you we have kept him forever based off that?Drew has managed no tourney championships in his league,one tie for the season league and 3 knockouts when he was a 1 and 3 seed.Cal could give us trhat.
Not splitting hairs, but Drew has won THREE regular season titles at Baylor. Drew wasn't coaching at an Elite school like UK either, not to mention the BIG 12 is THE best conference in America.
Went 81-13 from 2019-2022.
Drew Accolades :
21 NCAA Championship
Big 12 champs- 02-03, 20-21, 21-22 (back to back)
Big 12 coach of the year - 16-17, 19-20, 20-21, 21-22 (3 years in a row)
19-20 season 26-4 #5 in final AP poll
20-21 season 28-2 #3 in final AP poll (national Champs)
21-22 season 27-7 #4 in final AP poll
22-23 season 23-11 # 11 in final AP poll

Reactions: cathead64
Be a lot more fun. Instead of...
Austin Powers Nerd GIF

Super young coach still, his players love him, and he runs some of the best sets offensively and defensively that I have seen. He was too young to take on a bigger role at Texas, success happened too early. He is on his way back and will be the next big name again very soon.
I just don’t think he will be good in the spotlight like uk

Shaka Smart went to a Final Four in 2011 and hasn't made it past the first weekend of the tournament until this year!!!! Why in the F would anyone think he's a good hire for this job? The media loves him but his record sucks.

Reactions: flacat22
Bruce pearl just lost to yale and he had big recruits on his roster.

Sounds like you want more of the same

Ppl complained about cal and adjustments...UK beat auburn this year by literally running the same exact play every possession
His backcourt was not good this year. They lost at the very end too, some teams who escape those type games go on a run later. We will never know as it goes down as an L.

Sign Pitino to a 2-year deal.

Are you seriously comparing a guy who just won back to back titles to Scott Drew who had one title years ago>Just wow.
No you idiot. He said Drew had the DD losses in the last so many season, I simply showed him where Hurley also had SEVERAL DD loss seasons also. AND a losing season. Until the two year run, He was 0-2 in the NCAA tournament, ZERO wins and only ONE in his conference against,,,,,, DEPAUL. Yes Hurley has won back to back, but just TWO short years ago, he was WINLESS in the NCAA tournament. He has to rebuild now, he loses his top 6 guys and ONLY 2 recruits signed next year (2 four stars), with a class that is rolling right along ranked 35th.
Drew has shown he can rebuild a team from pretty much the death penalty, won, regrouped, won again. Hurley has shown he can catch lightning in a bottle with a super class and a stud freshman and has gone on a two year run. Can he SUSTAIN ?

Last edited:
Reactions: flacat22
People harping way too much on small samples.

Drew and Hurley basically highlight exactly what I mean with this stuff. Drew wins a title, the pinnacle of tournament success and yet has a bunch of first round exits. Hurley was terrible in the NCAA tournament, then ends up going back to back.

Things happen in a one and done format.

Base a coach on what they have done their entire year, the entire career, not one game in March.

This happens all the time. Coach K can lose to Lehigh and end up winning multiple titles. UVA could lose to a 16 seed and win the title the very next year. Purdue could lose to a 16 seed and make a final the very next year.

A coaches previous tournament history is not very predicative of what will happen in the future.

Oh and while I am breaking your BS down like a shotgun, I guess 3 years ago when Drew won his title could be considered YEARS ago. I mean it has been more than a year, so your dumb ass YEARS ago comment is sort of right, but not really. You was trying to downplay it like it was 15 years ago.

Anymore facts you would like to try and debate with me ? I got tons of free time, so whenever you are, I will continue to poke holes all thru your BS. Probably a good idea to just kind of disappear unnoticed, I ran 2/3 other guys that are just like you yesterday. Just take the L and just kind of blend in. As long as you don't post anymore crazy nonsense, I will be cordial.

• Haha
Reactions: The_Answer1313
I ran 2/3 other guys that are just like you yesterday.
I hope you're talking about me. I'm coming out of retirement, again, to leave you a small nugget of wisdom. It's apparent you're one of three things: 1) Mitch Barnhart, 2) friend or family of Mitch Barnhart, 3) someone who has a financial interest in MB remaining as UK's AD.

Your constant attacks on others opinions ON A MESSAGE BOARD lead me to the conclusion that you are an insufferable, arrogant prick and more than likely every one in your immediate circle secretly hates you. Hope you have a horrible day, I will not be replying again to your innane drivel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT