ADVERTISEMENT

I find myself more excited for Pope’s style of players vs Cal’s

High character guys! No posies, no handlers, just good ole boys who want to play for the name on the front.

Pope has been recruiting with the big boys for 8 days. Love his style of play and the recruits will too once they watch some KY games

I'd also add no more 12-13 man rosters with 2 being not good enough to put on the court and 4 suitable only for the center position and none of them being big or strong enough to be able to guard anybody near the rim and the worst two of the other 6 or seven both starting.
BOOM! THIS! Hot damn, this! So past Calipari’s bullshit nonsense! Everyone can actually get back to being excited for UK Basketball again! Cal is such a damn flake!

For me it will be more fun because our coach isn't so full of sh1t and actually wants to win games.

On the roster I will have to see after the season. Sure feels like all of major cbb is one and done now with the portal. Hopefully that gets fixed.

Mark Pope, at his best, will construct teams that look a lot like that 1998 Kentucky team. Maybe a sprinkling of late first round picks here or there. Probably no lottery guys outside of once every three or four years. But he will have a team loaded with guys like Jeff Sheppard and Padgett. I'll take that.

Last edited:
For the Bennys like myself … to hear my Coach actually discuss basketball will be nice.
Maybe we will switch defenses during the game.
As Cal would say but never do - How about we scout the opponent BLOB plays and don’t give up 8 points per game
How about we have our own BLOB plays to score
How about we start our best players
How about we not substitute every 5 seconds and make sure the lineup makes sense

Reactions: ib4ky
They’re about to light you up even tho that’s exactly what it means. Take cover because it’s gonna be shock and awe.
It’s funny when people scream “racist!” when it’s actually the triggered person that sees color in everything. It’s like finding the Virgin Mary in a piece of toast.

Last edited:
I think most people who got wrapped up in the pre-season recruiting class rankings and off-season NBA draft culture will be surprised that there is life outside of that world and way of doing things.

Cal recruited a very niche group of kids, for a very specific and niche path/goal. He really kind of limited himself and the team because of this.

I wonder how many really good to great college players over the years didn't commit here either because they thought they wouldn't fit the NBA culture nor play over heralded projected first rounders and or Cal straight up said "no", not because they lack talent but because they just weren't NBA style talent.

It’s funny when people scream “racist!” when it’s actually the triggered person that sees color in everything. It’s like finding the Virgin Mary in a piece of toast.

You indulged in a lot of stereotyping in your OP. Without stating it directly, you basically said you were looking forward to Pope recruiting smart, white boys with high character rather than dumb, black jocks with piss poor characters. Facts.

• Haha
Reactions: ukwazoo
You indulged in a lot of stereotyping in your OP. Without stating it directly, you basically said you were looking forward to Pope recruiting smart, white boys with high character rather than dumb, black jocks with piss poor characters. Facts.
Facts apparently are optional to you. Read into it as much as you want, I don’t care. I hate to break it to you though, Amari Williams is black. I also hope we get Jaxson Robinson and Osobor. But that doesn’t fit your narrative does it? Williams and Osobor probably aren’t black enough for you since they’re British. It must be miserable to go through life as a Karen.

Last edited:
Harnessed? I doubt if Calipari has BS to give. He has his own responsibilities and when he gives UK a thought, it will be in preparation for the UK game. You guys have him in your head. His head, I assume, is all Arkansas.
It won’t be in preparation for the UK game. It will be the actual game. He doesn’t prepare.

As weird as it has been during the Cal tenure with regard to having a new team each year, next year will be the most odd. Having a team of essentially transfers and the fact that Pope will actually be teaching an offense … gonna be different. Pitino would teach his press and defense first, if I recall, and his offense would not fully be into place until game 10 or so it seemed.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Dude, your original post…wasn’t great. I genuinely don’t believe you had malicious intent, but naive racism is still racism. The only code word that was missing was “fundamentally sound” vs the athletic comment.

Dude, your original post…wasn’t great. I genuinely don’t believe you had malicious intent, but naive racism is still racism. The only code word that was missing was “fundamentally sound” vs the athletic comment.
And yet, your message could be considered extremely racist if you think only white players are fundamentally sound and only black players are athletic. I guess I AM naive b/c I didn’t realize those were code words. Anyway, I’m done arguing about it.

And yet, your message could be considered extremely racist if you think only white players are fundamentally sound and only black players are athletic. I guess I AM naive b/c I didn’t realize those were code words. Anyway, I’m done arguing about it.

I will say being naive is still 100x better than Stonewall who is just straight up slinging filth in the Perry thread unapologetically.

Stonewall…yah ok just put that one together.

Mark Pope, at his best, we'll construct teams that look a lot like that 1998 Kentucky team. Maybe a sprinkling of late first round picks here or there. Probably no lottery guys outside of once every three or four years. But he will have a team loaded with guys like Jeff Sheppard and Padgett. I'll take that.
Just out of curiosity, who where the other players on those championship teams ? Funny you ONLY name Jeff Sheppard and Scott Padgett ? No mention of :
Nazi
Wayne Turner
Heshimu Evans
Allen Edwards
Ron Mercer
Anthony Epps
Derrick Anderson
Tony Delk
Walter McCarty
Antoine Walker

I know some folks have said that recruiting won’t be nearly as fun with Coach Pope. However, I love the idea of getting smarter, good shooting, character type of guys versus players with amazing athletic potential that are ranked in the top 20. And I think everybody is waking up to the fact we’re not going to stray away from some of the top guys. I realize NIL is a must, but I hope we stay away from bidding wars. I want guys that want be here (again, understanding we will pay some good 💰). I know some on here won’t like that and think I’m being naive, but it’s just how I feel. I think as long as we have 2-3 future NBA players on the team, that should suffice.
I have a feeling with the two coaches he is trying to bring in for recruiting he will get some top freshmen but unlike Cal I don't think Freshmen will be his main emphasis, the team and the right players will be his emphasis, and I believe we will have several players returning year after year, unlike Cal who seem to empty the roster almost every year with a few exceptions.

I'd rather watch paint dry than to have to root for a Cal coached team another year.
Pope may or may not work out. But anything is better than rooting for that con man of a coach.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT